1953 brake fluid reservoir

I am in need of the brake fluid reservoir, I had a vendor try and coat mine and they are now damaged and not usable. Here is a picture of what they look like. 

Please let me know what you have 

Thanks 

Steve

brake fluid res.jpg

My parts book goes from 1928 to 1954, it just has a listing for 1953. It says Reservoir, power brake  master cylinder  part # 1162601 for 1953 -50-70. Buick must have made changes in 1954 going by this book?  Here is the part number for the cap gasket just in case someone needs the info #1162919, the cap is not listed separate.

Thanks for the offer. 

Steve  

10 hours ago, 195354 said:

It says Reservoir, power brake  master cylinder  part # 1162601 for 1953 -50-70.

I have what I think might be good news for you. I looked in my 1936-1957 Master Chassis Parts book and it lists #1162601  as fitting;

1953 -50-70  and  1954. Same with the cap gasket.

Hope that helps. Good Luck.

Carl

• Like 1

I have a wrecking yard a few hours from my house the owner who is up in years is not sure if he has the reservoir or not.  He is also not sure if they had power brakes or not, he does have a 53 RM and possibly a 54. 

My parts book only lists power brakes. I would think manual brakes were standard and power brake was an option.  If a car had manual brakes is the reservoir the same as a power brake car?  I would like to know before driving to his yard Saturday and striking out. 

Thanks for any information 

Steve 

On 6/2/2019 at 9:56 PM, 195354 said:

My parts book goes from 1928 to 1954, it just has a listing for 1953. It says Reservoir, power brake  master cylinder  part # 1162601 for 1953 -50-70. Buick must have made changes in 1954 going by this book

7 hours ago, 195354 said:

I have a wrecking yard a few hours from my house the owner who is up in years is not sure if he has the reservoir or not.  He is also not sure if they had power brakes or not, he does have a 53 RM and possibly a 54.

a couple of quick points to help clarify

the 1928 to 1954 MPB likely covers through November or so of 53 so would likely not have many '54 parts listed

the 53 50-70 carried the V-8 engine, same as all '54's and the PB reservoir is interchangeable.  The standard brakes "reservoir" is part of the master cylinder which is mounted beneath the floorboard just forward of the drivers seat. If you make the trip to the salvage yard and find a 53 or 54 with PBs, I'd suggest getting as much of the PB system as possible including the master cylinder from under the hood, the vac motor and the reservoir you are looking for. Be careful in loosening the cap on the reservoir as they often seize and will brake off. Take PB blaster with you

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Thanks to everyone for the help in locating my part

Once the tops are loose I will clean one up and install it.  I will save the second one for my other project. Does anyone know of a vendor that has just the gasket for the lid or will I need to make the gasket?  

I did pickup PB parts at the wrecking yard that is close I will see if the vacuum motor works soon.

Steve   

brake res.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 1:23 PM, 195354 said:

I am in need of the brake fluid reservoir, I had a vendor try and coat mine and they are now damaged and not usable. Here is a picture of what they look like. 

Please let me know what you have 

Thanks 

Steve

brake fluid res.jpg

Exactly what makes them unusable?  Were you trying to have them replated and the vendor did a poor job?  Other than looking cruddy, looks like they can be fixed if it is just plating.

Above picture is before I had them try to plate or coat my reservoirs, now the threads are damaged to the point the cap will just lift off and the body has holes in it. I will clean my new used parts up and move forward, I do not need the heartache on this item.  I have a photo of one of the damaged reservoirs so you can see why it is not useable. 

Steve

brake fluid res damage.jpg

fluid res damage.jpg

Must of been some strong acid it even removed the metal splash guard inside the cap. I have what I need now and will move forward on my project. So far the vendors that have supplied services on my project have done a good job, this is the first one that went completely sideways live and learn 

Steve