Need sun visor photos, help!

TampaRiv

Hello Gents,

You may recall that I managed to install a new headliner in my '63 Teal Mist about 6 or 7 weeks ago.  It turned out really nice, as many of you were kind enough to mention. I still have some kind of pinched nerve in my neck from doing it, and my right arm goes numb from time to time.    I'm writing because  I failed to record the orientation of the 3-holed mounting plate that holds the sun visor.   I can feel the general location of the plate through the headliner, and I can feel the large hole where the "ball" tucks into the roof, but I just don't know where the screw holes are located.

SO,  if someone would be kind enough to take a photo of the plates as mounted on their car and post it, I would really appreciate it.  I sure don't want to go poking a bunch of wrong holes in the new headliner!    Cheers from Tampa,    Rich 

103_0779.JPG

2 hours ago, telriv said:

Rich,

I seem to remember that the '63 design is diff. from '63-'64 & '65. It was not as pictured, but more of a rectangle  IF I remember correctly the screws are in the SAME location.

Tom T.

Tom,

You are correct...the `63 design carried over into part of the `64 model year. During the `64 model year the design was changed and appears like the pic above. The original `63 design looked like 3 individual fingers and , yes, the screw holes are in the same location.

Tom M

• Like 1

Yes Tom. I had two very early '64 Rivs. One was 07c & the other was 08a. Both were very low body numbers like 004 & 198 and were rectangle in shape & I took a later '64 & screwed it into the exact same area & the screws holes matched.

Tom T.

4 hours ago, telriv said:

Tom M,

My '64 was built 12E, 5th. week of Dec. 1963 & since I've owned my '64 from new mine are the rounded ones like is shown in the earlier picture.

Tom T.

Tom T,

See my latest post. Apparently it would seem the change happened between the end of October and the end of December.

Tom M

I don’t have a headliner or sun visors in my POS haha…yet. So disregard if I am wrong. But to install the visors don’t your have to cut the large hole where the “ball” tucks into the roof anyway? If so & u say u can feel it then cut the large hole & then u can peek behind the headliner clothe to see the other holes?? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Nice work on your headliner btw. I’ll be coming to your house when I’m ready to do mine. 

Edit: my phone was having issues posting to this thread. Not sure what happened. Moderators, delete both previous posts pls

Edited by RockinRiviDad (see edit history)

Here's what I do when doing a headliner......I leave the screws in their holes with the heads sticking up above the sheet metal about 1/8 of an inch.

I also do this on the coat hook and dome lamp screws, Then after the headliner is in, I can feel the screw heads behind the headliner and  I take a razor blade 

knife and cut an "X" across where the screw heads are and push the headliner over the screw heads and then remove them and install the visors, dome lamp and coat hooks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TampaRiv said:

Thanks to all who responded.  My visor brackets are exactly like the ones in the photo that 1965rivgs posted.  Does anyone have a photo of this type mounted?

Rich

Here you go. The vertical vanes are canted toward the middle of the roof line.

Bill

IMG_5383.JPG

IMG_5384.JPG

Wow, thanks Bill.  Not in a million years would I have guessed that would be the way the thing was oriented.  A picture tells a thousand words.  Thanks again Bill,

Rich

By the way, the Point or Leinenkugel  beers are on me when I'm up there don't-cha-know eh?

25 minutes ago, TampaRiv said:

Wow, thanks Bill.  Not in a million years would I have guessed that would be the way the thing was oriented.  A picture tells a thousand words.  Thanks again Bill,

Rich

By the way, the Point or Leinenkugel  beers are on me when I'm up there don't-cha-know eh?

Rich,

I will take you up on that! I will take Point though, as I need to support the hometown brewery. Leinie's is top-notch too.

Bill