Do Americans buy cars from Uk

Having 3 cars that originate from US , and circumstances dictate that I need to sell two or all due to loss of storage space in two years time 

I wonder if it’s worth advertising on this forum , would be willing to ship cars back , but couple of potential issues make me think probably a waste of time , issues such as import tax and reluctance of buying abroad due to trust issues and inspection 

I don't believe there is any tax bringing in a car made in the United States - at least there wasn't years ago when a friend brought an American RR in from Ireland. As far as trust is concerned, I don't see there being much difference between buying a car from the opposite coast and buying one in the UK but I travel to Britain quite often so perhaps I have a different perspective. The most likely problem is the the British, and Europeans, often pay more for American cars than many Americans do (or want to) so the prices are likely to be higher and you have to add the cost of shipping.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)

no tax bringing them in if they are at least 25 yrs old. yes I agree that most Americans are skeptical buying from UK.

so many scammers here today from other parts of the world.

on the obverse, I just sold a 29 Dodge to UK about 3 months ago. I think you will get more for your cars keeping them in Europe.

Norway and Sweden are always good places to sell. Germany has been nothing but a headache for me. so I wont sell there any longer.

ebay is where I list, btw.

• Like 1

As always the main determination will be price and condition. After shipping ETC. are factored in is your price going to be low enough to be competitive on the US market ?

As well in this case the availability of similar cars already in the US will have an effect as well. No point shipping a 1957 Chevy 210 back to the US, it is no doubt worth more in the UK. 

What are the cars ?  Are they uncommon and desirable enough that a North American buyer might be willing to overcome the location problem ?

I am actually contemplating importing a car from the UK at this time myself. I have been looking for a particular make and model for over 2 years, twice in the past 8 months I have found an example only to have a buyer from the UK beat me to closing a deal. A limited production English car from the early 1980's , about 2/3 of production ended up in North America.  Ironically I have now found one in the UK that I can afford and am putting a deal together as long as the shipping can be arranged at a reasonable price.

Greg in Canada

Returning to Uk from Cyprus , planning 2 to 3 years hence 

live in Victorian town house ( victorians rarely had cars so no garage , created parking in front of house ,but not ideal for classic cars , already have two cars in Uk , will Sell one .

Therefore , Although  I love them all can only accommodate one so will be put up for sale in due course 

1960 Mga fully restored Lhd 

1958 Austin Healey 100/6 BN4 fully restored RHD 

and last but not least  sadly 

1953 Buick special convertible (Ruby) fully restored Lhd 

The MGA and the Healey are almost certainly worth quite a bit more in the UK. Still a steady stream of them leaving North America destined for the UK or Western Europe. It is very easy to convert the MGA to RHD.  MGA's are still reasonably cheap in North America. Healey's can be expensive but mainly the 

BJ 7 / BJ 8's. So if selling it would no doubt pay to keep them on your side of the Atlantic.  

The Buick is a popular car anywhere. But once again it is possibly more valuable on your side. It would be worth advertising world wide on that one. They are a bit hard on gas for Europe / UK. However there is always a strong market for 1950's convertibles. 

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mike6024 said:

I could ask this fellow what he thinks your Healey is worth to a US buyer. He is a Healey owner, and very active with other Healey enthusiasts. He is on another forum.

"Wally" Casten - 1956 Austin-Healey 100, Burlington, WI

I thought he is in Cedarburg Wisconsin.  With a restoration shop. In my town)))

2 hours ago, Dave Fields said:

We have 2 on the way now. But your best market for average cars is big power meet in Sweden. Maybe 20 thousand USA cars there most years. The more doors the better. They love 6 doors. Condition irrelevant, but must be america made. The AACA which you should be come a member sponsors these forums and has world wide coverage. If advertising here for free isn't worth your time the go back to your warm beer.

My time is of no consequence, just thought my cars. maybe little interest to Americans buyers , but thanks for your prompt will post just in case other Europeans are following forum like me .

You reference to warm beer ,  usually called real ale or bitter over here , never been my tipple , since a teenager liked buds,  Miller or corona cold out the fridge , not sure who to thank , probably US troops brought lager here  , mind you strong marketing here for fosters Aussie lager . Good stuff to.

So I am in Belgium and people import cars from the US since the nineties so why should you take cars back to the US .Its always the price that makes the deal .The buick could interest myself .The MGA and Healy is wanted in Europe also but i get to old to bend down so deep in those low to the ground cars .i wish you the best from Belgium and if you need any help let me know .

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, daniel boeve said:

So I am in Belgium and people import cars from the US since the nineties so why should you take cars back to the US .Its always the price that makes the deal .The buick could interest myself .The MGA and Healy is wanted in Europe also but i get to old to bend down so deep in those low to the ground cars .i wish you the best from Belgium and if you need any help let me know .

Hi Daniel , thanks for offer of help , would welcome advice on how and where to advertise to best attract possible European buyer especially Belgium. France and Scandinavian  countries . Sent you photo of Ruby 

cheers

pilgrim

I think it will be difficult to compete with the American pricing. I too have sold several of my cars in Europe. Each buyer considered my car a bargain. A very nice example of an MGA can be bought here for $18-$20K and there are no overseas transport costs involved.

Good luck.

Try Norway to sell the Buick. They have an American car enthusiasts club with 18,000 members.

They even have a new 4-story headquarters building. American Car Club of Norway, founded 1975. [https://www.amcar.no] (contact us: carclub@amcar.no)

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, jeff_a said:

Try Norway to sell the Buick. They have an American car enthusiasts club with 18,000 members.

I'll try to find a picture of their new headquarters building. American Car Club of Norway [www.amcar.no]

Many thanks , I will send them details 

cheers

pilgrim