Locomobile 4 Cylinder Gathering Place

alsfarms

Hello Bob,

I had not noticed the sign on the running board!  I need to pay more attention for sure.  Does anyone have one of the Cyclopedia of Motorcars that could share a bit more information on Coates Goshen?  I wonder if any have survived>

Al

I noticed the sign on the side of the running board but I couldn't turn the picture so that I could read it. How in the world did you do that? I googled the name and came up with a little information on the cars. Evidently that is a 35 hp car and the headlites may not be the Solarclipse lights but the next size down. Solarclipse came with a convex lens; those appear to be flat.

• Like 1

The question of "Solarclipse" headlamps does intrigue me.  Does anyone here have a picture of original Solar sales information that they could post here so we might all learn more about Solar headlamps, side lamps and tail lamps.  I am also curious about the model dating protocol used by Solar, as in 833, 933 and 1033.  Are all of these side lights the same design but with different numbers to determine year used?  I have a pair or Solar Locomobile Script 933 side lights for the 1909 Locomobile and I am certain that they are meant to be used on a 1909 automobile.  I am ready to learn more if anyone has more information to share.

Al.

Here is a complete Locomobile touring body from a 1908 Model I.  I am sure this body could also be fit to a Model L Locomobile also.  I sure hope it can find a new home.  I wonder why it is being separated from the running gear?  Does anyone know?  To learn more about this Locomobile body check out the HCCA website and look under "Parts For Sale".

Al

15112.jpg

I thought I would share a picture of a recast of an original Vanderbilt trophy from the 1908 Vanderbilt Cup Race won by Locmobile 16.  Thanks to another Locmobile enthusiast for making purchase of this Trophy and addition possible for my current restoration project.

Al

ACtC-3dWi_YHVWOQ7YXuHdWgvE1KK964dhQ7-BXz6Pg7Kbto2_sZ467WyZxamE5YGp08x1FSxkN9O5_I7xX_4q6Bio8zS6WJzk1S-fq41Htu9yAqO30ZqlXDpsx2DUTckJInpfKcVAip3BkrEBKoUsVbLM6R=w683-h910-no.jpg

Can anyone recognize or identify where this above picture was taken?  It looks to be in front of a Locomobile dealership.  This is one of the few Locomobile automobiles that I have noted pin striping on the fenders, (but not so much elsewhere on the body or hood).  Looks like white smooth tires also.  I wonder how they would behave on snow, I bet not well!

Al

Hey Locoman,  That is a great catch, the picture you shared.  That certainly explains the snow in the Locmobile picture above.    It is my guess that the face/front of the building has the LOCOMOBILE inscribed at the top of the building and the picture must have been taken in front of the building near the double doors and towards the corner.  How far would this location be to your home?  Does this building still stand?

Al

More thoughts on the vintage Locomobile picture above.  This Locomobile appears to be brand new as I need no road grim on the chassis or under the fenders.  The automobile also does not yet have a top assembly fitted.  I wonder if the gentleman is a Locomobile dignitary at the Chicago Locomobile dealership or if he is the new owner?  Does anyone have any history of the owners of the Chicago Locomobile Dealership?  Also, I am guessing that new Locomobile automobiles could have been shipped from Bridgeport with and without top assemblies?  In this case, it appears that no top had yet been installed.  I will post another factory photo of a new Locomobile Toy Tonneau taken at the Bridgeport factory and it does have the top assembly installed.

Al 

DSC01515.JPG

Edited by alsfarms
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just received an original hood for a 1909 - 1913 Locmobile Model L, (may be the same for a Model I but I can't confirm that as fact), complete with the hold down brackets and lift grabs.  I will try to post a picture in the next day or two.  You never know what is out laying in someone else's weed patch!

Al

Edited by alsfarms
spelling and clarity (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Here is a link to the huge Locomobile literature collection now held by the Bridgeport Public Library.  They are very nice and helpful to deal with.  If you need or want anything listed give them a try.  The list is extensive!!

• 4 weeks later...

I have a question on the reproduction Vanderbilt trophy radiator cap ornament used on the early Locomobile automobile to celebrate the Vanderbilt win of 1908.  Please re-look at the picture I posted on Oct 18.  If you have an original trophy ornament or know of someone that has one please share a reference.  I have a question.

Al

• 4 months later...

Here is an original photo from 1912 that shows a 1910 Locomobile Model I on a marathon trip in the Yukon.  (The story is included).  You can find this information under pre WW 2 photographs in the AACA forums.  I thought everyone may enjoy this photo, story and the related comments.

AlFirst_auto_and_its_crew_to_go_from_Dawson_to_Whitehorse_and_return_LCCN2001705722.jpg.5837b0f9f79205eeefcefdef79d69501.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know how the Locomobile Model I restoration project is going on the Long Island car?  Are there any other Model I projects currently under way?  I have not heard of any Locomobile Model E projects in the works?  I do know of any a few Locomobile Model L projects that are in the works and a couple of them in hibernation.  Please share update information on any four cylinder Locomobiles.

Al

Al

• 4 weeks later...

Here is something new that I learned while working on a very original hood from a Locomobile Model L. Evaluate the picture of the number stamped into the sheetmetal reinforcement plate on the inside of the hood and behind the hood hold down bracket. My question, did number stamping continue with the Model Model H, Model E, and Model I Locomobiles? I assume that this hood was originally issued on a 1911 or 1912 Locomobile Model L as the number shows 4541. Your thoughts and experience, please share.

Al

IMG_20211011_142220752.jpg

• Like 1