Email - Is this a scam or not..

nick8086

Car for sale..

Hello, thx for getting back to me, i'm a rotary drill operator and currently offshore, so i won't be able to come for the inspection due to the nature of my work.i'd appreciate if you email me with more closeup pics for a better look since i won't be be able to see this in person, but i have a pickup agent who is going to come to your location only after payment has been made and cleared, so i've chosen to have this done via paypal as it's the easiest and safest way to pay online, i have a few questions for you below and i want you to be honest with me

where are you currently located?
what's its present condition?
hope no issues?
are you the first owner?
why are you selling it?
since when have you been using it?
what's your firm price?
you got a paypal acct?

do get back to me asap. thx.

25 minutes ago, nick8086 said:

currently offshore

In Nigeria

but i have a pickup agent who

Classic scam

i want you to be honest with me

Cause I'm not being honest with you :)

It might be legit but I highly doubt it.  The dead giveaway on these is they immediately start talking about payment and how it's going to be made, that's the carrot, they dangle in front of the anxious seller.

-Ron

Edited by Locomobile (see edit history)

I had a similar inquiry when I was selling a pick up truck.  I got a reply from someone who said he couldn't come and see the truck in person because he was in the navy in Hawaii, but a friend would come to tow it away to Pennsylvania! after his payment went through.  I knew it was a scam for sure!

5 hours ago, mike6024 said:

If you give out your paypal account, ie the email to make a payment to you, can they somehow use that to steal from you?

Not with just an email, but if you give them a password they can.  At some point the scam would probably ask that.  If you received the scam email, he already HAS your email!

I once had a similar email, but he specifically said that he was on an oil rig off the Australian coast.  I googled the field, and emailed him back saying what a coincidence, I actually worked on Rig #xyz, which rig are you on?

never heard from him again....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2