Spark plug wire end crimping tool

dalef62

I am working on a 1929 Hupmobile putting new spark plug wires on it and would like to know the proper way to crimp the ends on the wires.  It is the standard ends that get crimped on to cloth covered wire.  Is there a special tool?  What does it look like?  Has anyone done it with normal tools and how was the results?  

Thanks,

Dale

I used to crimp a lot of wires and I can tell you many of the tools sold for this purpose do not work worth a damn.

What do you mean by "standard ends"? I am guessing the type used on modern wires, where 2 tabs curve around and stab into the insulation like this:

2070-2.jpg?1366817481

In my experience, crimpers that combine spark plug crimping with something that looks like a hardware store crimper (even from Snap-On !) don't work worth sour owl manure.

I have one that works. It came from some wholesaler in Texas, circa 1992. MSD was selling the same one a few years later.

Look closely at this picture. This tool actually works. You might be able to find one used:

10.jpg

MSD currently sells a different tool that has thick jaws like a professional tool. It is expensive. It looks like a real tool that might actually work. I have not used it.

Back in the day there were also "Rajah" terminals. Note that they have a cylindrical area that you stuff the end of the wire in. They take a weird star crimper.

SS-Web.jpg

If that is what you need, one company still makes a crimper (Westwood T-200-10 695). It isn't cheap. I have no idea whether it works right. Otherwise you need to look for a decades-old used one.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have a Joe Blogs (i.e. cheap, probably unbranded) version of the MSD crimper shown above. It is supposed to be for ordinary terminals and works well on them. I hadn't thought of using it for spark plug wires.

here is JEGS' version of the Dorman:https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/80575/10002/-1

image.png.a3f210048cbffd74b6510f5f5a7c55b7.png A whopping $5.99!

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, Spinneyhill said:

I have a Joe Blogs (i.e. cheap, probably unbranded) version of the MSD crimper shown above. It is supposed to be for ordinary terminals and works well on them. I hadn't thought of using it for spark plug wires. 

Where do you find big enough wires to fit it that are not spark plug wires?

1 minute ago, Bloo said:

Where do you find big enough wires to fit it that are not spark plug wires?

Well, the last job was a second brake light for my 1930 Dodge Brothers. I also used it to put on terminals when I overhauled the generator. Can't remember any further back...

• Like 1

On 4/5/2019 at 7:10 PM, Spinneyhill said:

Well, the last job was a second brake light for my 1930 Dodge Brothers. I also used it to put on terminals when I overhauled the generator. Can't remember any further back...

Spinney, He was saying the spark plug crimper is made for 7 and 8 mm wire, where the terminal crimps onto the 7 or 8 mm insulation, not just the 14 awg or so conductor.

When you crimped the terminals for the generator, the wire was not 7 or 8 mm diameter insulation, I hope!😉

18 hours ago, Bloo said:

Yeah, its amazing how many of the "right" tools out there just make a mess. Brillman sure is a great source for wire and ends. I did not know they would crimp them up for you.

Yes they will install any end that they sell and usually only adds a couple hours onto the delivery time.  if I order on a Monday first thing the parts are usually shipped by Wednesday if not earlier. 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2019 at 3:46 PM, John_Mereness said:

www.brillman.com

Good source. They show up at a local antique car flea market here in Fredericksburg. Great selection of "old" (brand new, just old type)  parts. 😉

• Like 1

As luck would have it a friend of mine came to my shop today bringing waste oil for my furnace.  He saw the Hupp and saw that I was working on the wires.  I told him I was looking for a crimping tool.  He told me he just bought one from Summit racing and said I could borrow it.  He hasn't used it yet.   It looks like a nice tool, About $50 he told me.  Worked great.

IMG_20190408_134902.jpg

• Like 1