Fuel pump for ‘63 401

rodneybeauchamp

Hi all,

Has anyone had experience using the Airtex  brand of fuel pump on their Riviera ?

My supplier has this brand in stock, it is a sealed unit made by Airtex from China.

The existing pump also looks to be a sealed unit so has possibly been changed out once before.

Mine is working but I’m trying chase down a slight hesitation that it gave me four times on Sunday. Perhaps I should have been going to Church instead of the swap meet at 4.30 in the morning.

Anyway it got us there and back without drama (450km round trip) and have since replaced the fuel filter but have not driven it again.

So my question is about whether the Airtex are an ok replacement or would I do better to find a repairable unit and put in a kit.

Any thoughts please 😀😀😀😀😀😀

Rodney

18 minutes ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Hi all,

Has anyone had experience using the Airtex  brand of fuel pump on their Riviera ?

My supplier has this brand in stock, it is a sealed unit made by Airtex from China.

The existing pump also looks to be a sealed unit so has possibly been changed out once before.

Mine is working but I’m trying chase down a slight hesitation that it gave me four times on Sunday. Perhaps I should have been going to Church instead of the swap meet at 4.30 in the morning.

Anyway it got us there and back without drama (450km round trip) and have since replaced the fuel filter but have not driven it again.

So my question is about whether the Airtex are an ok replacement or would I do better to find a repairable unit and put in a kit.

Any thoughts please 😀😀😀😀😀😀

Rodney

I got mine from http://centervilleautorepair.com/, can’t recall the brand but it works fine.

24 minutes ago, telriv said:

They are available from NAPA

Replaced mine with one from NAPA 4 years ago. It has never missed a beat. In fact with my old fuel pump I was getting 9-10 mpg city or highway. With the new fuel pump 13-16 mpg depending on the type of driving.

Bill

I just did this and I purchased a Carter.  I looked at the reviews on Airtex and there was many mixed reviews.  I like my Carter and the install was straight forward.  If you are doing this yourself I'd recommend reaching into the fuel pump cavity on the block and clear out any debris inside.  I had a couple pieces of small plastic that I was able to remove, fortunately.  Best of luck.

Edit: to respond to your rebuild question.  I was contemplating this route but decided against it after I saw the cost of a rebuildable pump and the newer guts that works with todays fuels.  I would go with a newer aftermarket unless you are a purist.

Chris

Edited by first64riv
Added info (see edit history)