Opening some Buick hoods

Not a Buick owner, but I believe they had that type hood in the late forties and early fifties. There should be a handle under the dash on both sides, pull the handle on the driver's side to lift up from that side and vice versa. If you pull both sides you can lift the hood off completely, at least, you can if you have a couple of strong friends to help.

Packard used this system for a while (48 -50).  On those you latch the side you want to be the hinge by pulling the lever up, and unlatch the side you want to open by pushing the lever down.  Is the Buick system the opposite as you describe?  

Packard also used the starter under the accelerator like Buick

20 minutes ago, George Smolinski said:

What years did the Buick hoods open from either side and what was the process to open them? I ran across a ‘47 or ‘48 today and couldn’t figure out how to open the hood.

1941 through 1952.  The  one you are concerned with has a "lever"  or " spear" near the back of the hood.  It is tapered, larger at front, about six or so inches long. The front of the lever , Or spear is round, I believe. Push that with a thumb, causing the spear to pop out. Gravb the spear and pull, unlocking the hood hinges.  Lift the hood from the edge.

Ben

9 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Not a Buick owner, but I believe they had that type hood in the late forties and early fifties. There should be a handle under the dash on both sides, pull the handle on the driver's side to lift up from that side and vice versa. If you pull both sides you can lift the hood off completely, at least, you can if you have a couple of strong friends to help.

'49 and later, with exception of '50 first or early Special has the pull handle/cable inside.

Ben

3 hours ago, Mark Shaw said:

I am surprised nobody mentioned that the side opening hoods can also be removed by unlatching both sides.

See Rusty_OToole's post above.

Interesting that side opening aftermarket hoods are fairly common on hot rods nowadays - what goes around comes around.

4 hours ago, Mark Shaw said:

I am surprised nobody mentioned that the side opening hoods can also be removed by unlatching both sides.

Rusty's first reply said that.

One needs to be very careful with these hoods! Because they CAN be unlatched and lifted off completely, people that do not understand them will unlatch both sides and try to open the hood only to have it slide down the fender! Years ago, I watched (from a distance) in horror as I saw people do that. Really makes a mess of the fender's paint! Somehow I found myself  in that position several times at swap meets and car shows. I never had one of those Buicks, but somehow I had learned of the hood system when very young. I found myself screaming at people several times at various meets to prevent them from damaging a car they were looking at. I  still don't know why some people think they have the right to open everything on a car they don't know about when the owner isn't there watching it, just because it has a "for sale" sign on it.

28 minutes ago, George Smolinski said:

This Buick has the spears that pull out. I looked under the dash and didn’t see any levers or knobs to pull for the hood. If I understand, with the hood fully closed, I pull one of the spears and then lift the hood from that side, right?

That is correct, George.  The spear, or handle, should pop out when the front, round part is pressed inward. Pulling the handle towards you will then unlatch the hood, allowing it to rise enough for your fingers to grab the edge . Lift it op. There is then a "prop" attached to the cowl that one raises and places into a slit in the hood to hold it up. All will be apparent when the hood is lifted. THE HOOD DOES NOT STAY UP BY ITSELF.

Ben