CARS 63-64 Front Turn Signal Lenses-Info Please

Riviera63

58 minutes ago, Zimm63 said:

Pulled the file.  The lenses actually came from GM Obsolete in Phoenix.  Purchase was in October 2012.  

For what its worth.  

Thanks for that. I checked those out. I decided to go with the CARS version as they have have the blacked out areas as original and the cost was significantly less for a pair. I will see how they work out and report back.

Bill

• Like 1

I received my new lenses on Friday. They appear to be very nicely made. It will be awhile before I can actually put them on and report back with information on the fit. So far, so good.

They came with 4 screw retainers (5/8" X 1/4") for each lens. I have had my lenses and turn signal assemblies out/apart a couple of times and did not run across any retainers like these. Does anyone know how/where these are used when the lenses are installed? Are these retainers one of those things that originally were installed on the car when new but, were discarded or lost over the years? Input appreciated. Thanks.

Bill

IMG_5342.JPG

IMG_5343.JPG

IMG_5344.JPG

IMG_5345.JPG

IMG_5346.JPG

IMG_5347.JPG

IMG_5348.JPG

Edited by Riviera63
revise text (see edit history)

50 minutes ago, DualQuadDave said:

They are decent for repro's, but they seem a little small vs the original ones. Originals fit perfect, even after 50yrs. These just seem off some when I put them in. 

Dave, you could have said that before I ordered them. Just kidding. Were yours from CARS?  Time will tell how they fit. If they do not fit properly they will go back. Too much money to spend on something that does not fit correctly. If they fit correctly then it is money well spent. I do find it hard to believe that with today's technology that reproduction parts can't be made to fit the same as the originals and that they would be marketed and sold if they didn't. Too be continued.

Anyone have any insight on the retainers? 

Bill

I think you will be ok, I am super picky.  Mine were from OPGI, but you can bet only one company is actually making them for both.  Yeah, I agree, with today's tech, there is no reason to make a part that doesn't not fit correctly.  I think the acrylic they used might have shrunk after processing.  

9 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Bill,

This is an NOS example. The first overall pic is not in focus but if you look closely you can see the small push nuts that holds the lenses together. I would imagine the push clips you received with your repro lenses are to take the place of the originals,

Tom

20190225_204445.jpg

20190225_204503.jpg

20190225_204519.jpg

Hi Tom,

Thanks, that is exactly what I needed. I'm sure these small fasteners were lost/discarded early on after some bulb changes. Not that it is a difficult chore without those fasteners but, having the lens in place and secure would make disassembly/reassembly easier. One does not want to have a lens moving or falling out where it can get scratched. 

Bill

• 3 months later...

I got my new front turn signal lenses installed today. The CARS repros fit perfectly and look great. Everything went back together without a hitch. These are worth buying and I am glad I got them. Especially after I got my old ones out and did a side by side comparison. 

Bill

IMG_5388.JPG

IMG_5389.JPG

IMG_5390.JPG

IMG_5391.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bodayguy said:

Can you show them on the car? Curious about the difference with new clear lenses.

Ed has a point. If you look at the last 2 pictures, you really can't tell that there is a lens in there because the lens is so clear. I will be happy to shoot a picture for you. I just cannot do it right now. I will be able to do later this evening or tomorrow morning. I will say this. I had been going back and forth for 2 years about this. I really did not want to spend that kind of money and it was still not clear that the fitment was good. I finally said to hell with it during the winter and bought them. As soon I looked at the old ones and then at the new ones in the bezels I knew I had made the right decision. 

Bill

7 hours ago, bodayguy said:

One of mine is cracked so you’re certainly convincing me. Looks sharp.

Your chances of you finding a used one that is not cracked is slim to none. If you would get a replacement set you would have a backup spare in the event something should happen to one of the new ones. On the other hand, since uncracked originals are so rare, you could sell the one you have for a pretty good price and offset some of the cost of the new ones.

If you should decide to buy a set, check e-bay to see if they have them listed there. CARS has many of their items listed for sale there. I have purchased several items from CARS in the last couple of months and all have been on e-bay. Many times the items they have listed have free shipping or reduced shipping costs compared to ordering from their online site. I have saved quite a bit of money doing that. 

Bill

• Like 1

It is possible to find originals which are not crazed but most will show deterioration. I sorted through all my lenses, about 25 or so, and have a few pairs....but I`m hitting the road for awhile, will be back in a few weeks if anyone would like a pair send me a PM,

Tom Mooney