Wth: 64 door edge guards

demon452

I wish you a lot of luck........it would be easier to catch the Loch Ness Monster in your trolling net than find NOS

or used nice edge guards for your car. I got lucky and bought some NOS ones 5 years ago........haven't seen any since then.

For some reason the 66 and newer edge guards are out there but not the 63-65's. Nice edge guards and nice center caps for the

wood steering wheels are the two hardest things to find for these cars. I'll keep an eye out for you.....good luck!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a long time since I removed mine on my 63.  My car is black and I thought the door edge guard broke up the smooth lines on the side of the car.  But I think the door edge guard may have been attached to the door skin then the door skin was snugged up to the inner door and the pinch held the piece in place.  Hopefully someone will concur or set me straight. As I said it's been a really, long time ago.

8 hours ago, jframe said:

Not to drift, but what is the best way to reattach these? Mine popped loose on the driver's side before I had the car painted, and I just stored them. Been thinking about putting them back on.

Years ago I had purchased an NOS set of door edge guards to put on my 1963 Pontiac. My car was in the body shop so I asked them to attach these as long as it was there. When I picked the car up I asked them how they attached them. He said when they attach metal door edge guards they take a small wedge to spread them slightly. If the edges are too close together they can scrape paint off when pushed on. He also said they used a small amount of adhesive (I don't remember what kind) to help hold them in place rather than pinching for a friction hold. He said that way they could be removed if necessary in the future without damage to the guards or door edge. 

Right or wrong I don't know but, it worked well on my car. They looked good and I never had any problems.

Bill

• Like 1

To install them you have to loosen all the door skin nuts on the back half of the door and pry the skin

away from the inner door frame, install the door edge guard then reattach the door skin. Also. if the door edge guards are NOS

and haven't been installed before, it will be necessary to carefully pry them open some before installing or you will chip the paint on your door.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

Steve, your welcome. I have tons of parts and enjoy helping out when I can. My newest project is getting the rear view mirror bracket re one. They are always pitted. Here's what one looks like redone. I have a few real nice re chromed items in the pile. Gene.I 

FullSizeRender-133.jpg

FullSizeRender-134.jpg

FullSizeRender-128.jpg

IMG_3033.JPG

FullSizeRender-84.jpg

FullSizeRender-129.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2019 at 2:41 PM, RivNut said:

If I remember correctly, a couple of years ago some member found a pair and paid something like $600 for the pair. Do you not have any or are the ones you have dinged up?

So I guess the ones I got in KS  last June all wrapped up for $80.00was deal?

Turbinator

• Like 1