1997 f350 diesel manual transmission

Mpgp1999

I am located in San Rafael California I am looking for a 1994-97 zf5 7.3 4x4 manual transmission. My transmission in my truck is acting up. It grinds in second and is almost impossible to shift into reverse. It just grinds when releasing the clutch and will not engage. 

I would not blame the transmission but would think that the clutch is not releasing . Ford had a problem with the firewall bending and then the clutch master cylinder would just move away and not make the clutch cylinder make a complete stroke. 

• Like 1

Though tempted, I will refrain from making a smarta$$ statement something like : "arrrrrrrr.........., just yank that manual mess and put an automatic in it".  For towing, as in all-terrain, all condition off road driving, automatic is superior for a number of reasons. But the conversion expense over the cost to fix whatever mess you have there may not be economically feasible for the short run. I just flat don't know. Most likely several of the highly experienced/professional members here are able to comment. The complexities are way beyond my amateur experience. If you gotta get in there, see what is available for a heavy duty clutch most suitable for towing regardless of price. Make sure your cooling system, brakes and universals are in excellent condition. Always get rolling using "granny low", unless you are starting off downhill. Remember to check your hitch and lashing 1/2 mile out, and shortly thereafter. Safe towing is slow towing.   -   Carl 

P.S.  Have you ever been punished by the Road Devils for following too closely ? Sometimes you get a well deserved ticket, other times you get a windshield ding. Cover and protect foreword facing glass including headlights. Did I mention towing slowly ? Another reason is that your car is not designed to resist continuous turbulent 65 mph wind loads. Careful.  -   CC 

P.P.S.  At the risk of sounding like I'm nagging, there is another technique many people don't realize. Pull your rear  mounted spare and carry it in the bed of your truck. This reduces a high C.G. high polar moment of inertia. To put it in simple terms, you will have a more stable tow with noticeably less tendency to fish tail. Towing is more dangerous than you realize, until it is too late. Easy does it every time.      Over; and out.   -   CC 

Edited by C Carl
Add P.S. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

It has been about 10 years since I had my F350 with the 7.3. If I recall correctly there is a nylon bushing on the clutch pedal linkage under the dash that wears out. This could prevent the clutch from engaging completely and also activating the start switch. I would buy a couple at a time for their life span was about 10000 miles. You may want to check this out before going to extremes.   

Mine is an automatic. Basically the same truck.

I would prefer a manual for towing, that would let me decide when to shift,  not the truck.

There are only four forward speeds and the truck likes to downshift early on the hills. Especially if its heavy.

One outfit that delivered a 34 Dodge to Oregon from California on an open trailer put duct tape on the windshield and front lights of the towed car.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

The truck has a single mass flywheel. And a worn master cylinder rod causing the clutch to not fully disengage. Over time this has worn the synchronizer in reverse and other parts. This is what I believe happened to the transmission. My precived remedy is a new transmission and a new master and slave cylinders. Also with the correct dual mass flywheel and I might as well replace the pilot bearing and rear main seal. 

• 2 weeks later...