Changing Headlights on 64

MY64RIVIERA

Sorry if this seems like a simple question, but just looking for validation before I tear into my grill. I assume to change my driver side low beam headlight i’ll need to remove the battery and unbolt the headlight assembly from behind battery box/shelf.  I then assume there are some screws to remove the chrome bezel on the front of the headlight assembly to remove the actual headlight. Any tricks or tips to changing the headlight?  Any pictures of it disassembled?

Robert ROA # 15861

64 Regal Black w/ Standard Red interior

Remove the "hood" from the affected headlight.  You'll see a retaining ring held on by some flat headed straight screws and a spring.  Remove the screws but don't remove the spring.  Lift the ring away from the bulb, pull the bulb away from the housing and unplug it.  Plug in the new bulb using the lugs on the back of the bulb to align it then reverse the process to put it back on. 

• Like 1

There's no need to get into the engine compartment.

The "hoods", as you've identified, is actually a ring that is held on by a screw that is accessed from the front.  It's a long narrow special use Phillip's head screw so don't lose it; I think it's at the bottom. The top of the ring is held on by a clip.  The straight tip screws that hold the ring on are unique as well.   

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Ed’s correct. No need to get into the engine compartment.

Each hood or headlamp surround/bezel/trim ring is held on by a long Phillips head screw at the bottom and clips in at the top. Hard to see the screw at first until you eyeball the lights at their level. Once the surround is off then the sealed beam is removed by removing a short screw on the retaining ring. A strong spring holds the ring also.  By just removing these and replacing the sealed beam, you won’t upset the headlamp aim.

I had this same thought as you when I went to change mine as part of the LHD to RHD headlamp conversion when I first got my ‘63. At first I thought that you had to get into the back of the grille. The headlamp rims all fit so neatly, that they look one piece.

Good luck

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

• 2 years later...

While you guys are talking about the headlight hoods,  is the correct finish for the headlight hoods chrome or are they painted with a flat/brushed silver paint. Mine were looking pretty bad so I hit one with steel wool and the most perfect chrome was lurking under the paint. I wasn't sure if they were originally chrome or painted, and maybe the paint helped preserve the chrome. 

47 minutes ago, 64Rivvy said:

One other source for the hood screws might be Mr. G's enterprises. 

Did you order the ones I suggested? If so, when you get them let us know if they're correct. 

The headlight hoods are painted except for the bezel ring. 

Another 64 owner with a similar handle asking about the same screws.  I found this for him. I took one of those screws and placed it on this printout. Mr. G's PDF files print out the actual size of the screw.  They were the same - threads, length, and Philips head diameter.  Either chrome or stainless

IMG_20210131_194116337.thumb.jpg.ff8ce88c7b33a521df1fcf34bbfa3d42.jpg

IMG_20210131_194123409.thumb.jpg.63693aa1676eb45c3ea00bae870c11ea.jpg

• Like 1

Let me know what you think of the screw set. I sent a set original screws, from a parts car that I was parting out, to Glen a number of years ago.  He sent me a complementary kit but at that time I had no reason to use it. I'm curious as to how well everthing was matched.  Thanks

Ed

• 2 months later...
On 1/4/2019 at 2:24 AM, rodneybeauchamp said:

Ed’s correct. No need to get into the engine compartment.

Each hood or headlamp surround/bezel/trim ring is held on by a long Phillips head screw at the bottom and clips in at the top. Hard to see the screw at first until you eyeball the lights at their level. Once the surround is off then the sealed beam is removed by removing a short screw on the retaining ring. A strong spring holds the ring also.  By just removing these and replacing the sealed beam, you won’t upset the headlamp aim.

I had this same thought as you when I went to change mine as part of the LHD to RHD headlamp conversion when I first got my ‘63. At first I thought that you had to get into the back of the grille. The headlamp rims all fit so neatly, that they look one piece.

Good luck

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

The philip screw screws into a retaining clip what is that clip called a retaining clip and where can i get that 

20210408_162822.jpg

• 2 years later...