pulling the nose off a '51 Super

Kestrel

I'm thinking of removing the front bumper, grill, radiator, and the 2 front fenders on my newly acquired '51 Super in order to gain easy access to the engine and front end components. There are a several things I want to do and thought it would pay to take the time and make everything accessible. Those big Buick fenders could be back breakers and in the way for sure.  Removing the nose would be like working on an old John Deere tractor, just walk up, sit down, and starting wrenching.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has done this and any tips for a novice body man. I have the time and the space, and don't mind taking photos. Thanks guys !!

Yes, there is a factory chassis and a factory body manual and both usually cover around 10 years back from the date of publication.  Get the one with the publishing date that matches your car within a couple years on or after.

The fenders look about 3 x heavier than they actually are.  Just prop some stuff under each as you remove so bolts don't bind.  If you can get an extra pair of hands take the whole entire clip off all at once.  That is accomplished by again just supporting everything against gravity.  The factory would lower the entire front assembly minus the bumper and hood down onto the front frame as the car rolled down the assembly line and the guys would bolt things up from there.

Edited by buick man (see edit history)

You have to break and cut a lot of bolts, at least in my experience. So you need a good impact wrench and long handled tools. A torch to heat things up maybe, propane will do. And a 4 1/2 inch grinder with a stack of cutoff wheels. And a box of band-aids and some Valium or whiskey.

Hello although mine is a 49 I had the complete front end off for painting,really with exception of the hood ,fenders weren’t that heavy good access to everything thing that way used a generous anmounts of nut blaster on bolts lucked out and didn’t brake any. Take a lot of pictures as you mentioned so you won’t be wondering were those funny angle pieces or whatever came from ! Good luck .

3 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Have never broken a bolt on this job.

But you live in Texas! Try this in salt states.....😁

• Haha 1