1953 Convertible project

John 

I used rope caulk it works great easy to apply.  Wiper Transmission soaked in ATF and they work as good as new thanks Em Tee .  Once I clean them up I can install them. I have new gaskets for the wiper transmission Steele Part # 70-1604-53. 

Working on the rear quaters inner splash panels. Taking them out to dip tomorrow  they are covered in under coating and road tar. I removed the fender welt on the sides Buick factory used staples  to hold this on. I am looking for the rubber seal. Steele has a running board- gravel shield that looks very close. Restoration specialties has a seal that looks like a better fit but  dimensions on the restoration specialty part. I will send them a message and see if they can provide the information. I will try and figure a way to install a staple once I have the seal.

I have seen a few cars that the rubber seal is just left off the inner splash panels. I hope to have mine with the seal installed. 

Steve 

the picture is from Steele I cannot down load Restoration's image.

Image.jpg

IMG_0374.jpeg

IMG_0377.jpeg

IMG_0378.jpeg

IMG_0375.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Woking on the project and I have been ignoring a leak from the Dynaflow. I have moved the car a few times over the last few months and it has refused to idle. I also had a very small leak at one of the well plugs in the  carburetor it was leaving a stain on the intake. I covered them with JB weld this fixed this issue. 

Turned out the metering rod plunger had stuck in the bore. Cleaned this up reassembled the carburetor and it will now run and idle.

The leak on the transmission is a bolt & stud on the pump cover one is a stud on one side the other side is a bolt. Looks like the acucumulator mounting could  also be leaking at the bolts. Are these blind holes if not pull studs and bolts clean everything and seal the fasteners? Unit works fine other than the leak. 

Thanks

Steve 

IMG_0449.jpeg

IMG_0450.jpeg

IMG_0400.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am digging in my boxes and have not found what was used. Sure it is here someplace. One more joy when you bring home a car in a box. So I am trying to come up with a grommet for the floor. The location is passenger side it is the pass through for the hydraulic lines for the power accessories. Been on the phone with Steele and a few other vendor’s no luck so far. It also has a small plate that helps hold things in place. I would think it is the same part for 53 back with power accessories. 1-1/4” square opening 

Does anyone have a picture showing the seal- grommet, or what they used in this area. 

Thanks 

Steve 

IMG_0528.jpeg.d8b5e39c9ce6a19ecc7f3abf21aece08.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Tom thanks for the picture, I just received a part that should work. This is for a Caddy according to Steele Rubber, also  one hole is smaller Than the other on the new part. I find this odd each line is the same size. It looks like your sample has the same size hole in each opening. I hope to try this pass through grommet out Sunday I will let everyone know.

Steele makes two of these grommets one with two holes this what you need with power windows and power top. Then one with just one hole this will fit a hardtop with power seat or windows.

Steve 

IMG_0717.jpeg

IMG_0072.png

• Like 2

On 12/17/2023 at 11:30 PM, 195354 said:

Image.jpg

IMG_0374.jpeg

I slit a length of 5/8 heater hose and forced it over the edge.  When the splash shield is installed the hose is kept into place by interference from the inner fender.  If I didn't have that interference fit, I might have used the ss wire to sew a section or two into place. No pic.

Ken thanks for the info about using hose. I did work with Steele and it sounds like they have what I needed for the splash panel. I had them send a catalog. I located the seal in my picture. The  grommet for the Caddy works still needs the plate added and some sealer. I find it hard to navigate a few websites to try and locate some of the obscure items.  Like the grommet for the hydraulic lines I should have asked for a Cadilliac catalog long ago. I had to make the hold downs for the lines and bed twist the lies but at last they are on the run the back seat area should be easy. Here are a few pictures I will  add before pictures. 

Steve 

IMG_0729.jpeg

IMG_0732.jpeg

Image.jpg

Image 2.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some progress on the Convertible this weekend. Hydraulic tubing for the seat windows and top is tight and secured on the floor. Sound mat installed in heater area and the  heater is installed. Started on modifying the seat back’s they need lower 3”  my rust free seat is from a hardtop. I added a picture showing the factory cut on the original seat from back in the day when the seat was lowered. The original seat is a bit rusty not even good scrap. I will post a few pictures of the seat for now. Once I m further along I will add a few more. The Dynaflow is back in after repairing the leak at the front. This project is never ending but I see some progress Good thing I see this as therapy. 

Steve 

IMG_0809.jpeg

IMG_0808.jpeg

IMG_0806.jpeg

IMG_0485.jpeg

IMG_0489.jpeg

IMG_0496.jpeg

IMG_0544.jpeg

IMG_0621.jpeg

IMG_0636.jpeg

IMG_0676.jpeg

IMG_0685.jpeg

IMG_0678.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

The seat Bottom is in the car so I can move it around and confirm the seat back is correct. The R/H back is 3” higher Than it will be when finished. The driver side is cut down now I will shorten the spring assembly at the bottom this way the top will remain for upholstery.  Once the seats are stripped and cleaned up the next project will be the top mechanism. I keep looking at all the work needed for the top this will be a project in its self. 

Steve 

IMG_0846.jpeg

IMG_0850.jpeg

IMG_0849.jpeg

IMG_0847.jpeg

IMG_0848.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Good weather this weekend  so I gave the Convertible a quick test 

Transmission installed a week or so back test drove around the driveway  no leaks so far. The front of the transmission and accumulators had a pretty Nasty drip before. 

Now back to the seat project.

Steve 

IMG_0485.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1