Rivman

ROA International Meet – Gettysburg PA, June 25-28, 2019

1 hour ago, Rivman said:

BUT, if you want to join and register, you will be able to do all of that right there in the hospitality room when you arrive too.

Great write up Randall. 

You are the Man! 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, NC1968Riviera said:

Great write up Randall. 

You are the Man! 

Agreed. It definitely helps us newbies …

• Thanks 1

Hey, all you newbies. A lot of these ROA guys have known each other for years.  One member's wife has referred to the annual meet as a family reunion.  A past (passed) member once stated "The first meet you go for the cars, the next meets you go of the friendships."  So, jump in there! Introduce yourself!  Don't hang back! Start a conversation!  Ask questions! DON'T JUST STAND THERE!!!

Those long time members will be more than glad to include you, but you need to remember they're catching up on what's happened since they last saw each other. So walk up to that group and introduce yourself.  You'll be glad you did.  There will be a majority of attendees who do not participate in this forum.  Introduce yourself to them as well.  

I haven't seen this years agenda but in the past, there was a place and time set aside for forum members to meet and match a face with a name.  Perhaps that's part of this year's agenda as well. 

I imagine that Klaus will be there from Germany.  Make sure you meet him and tell him that Ed and Linda say "Wir wünschte, wir könnten da sein"

Regardlees, please -  enjoy yourselves,

Ed

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 6/12/2019 at 11:32 PM, RivNut said:

There will be a majority of attendees who do not participate in this forum. Introduce yourself to them as well.

Which begs the question: who will be at Gettysburg who is on this forum?

I'm betting on NC1968Riviera (his car is on all the materials), Rivman, Klaus all the way from Germany, EmTee, and many others, but I don't know any of this.

I'll be arriving mid-morning on Wednesday, in an inappropriate car.

Edited by j3studio
Modifying as folks respond. (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

Wish I could be there but unfortunately I can't.  It is a fine group of people (and cars) that make it worthwhile.  Travel safely and enjoy yourselves!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, j3studio said:

I'm betting on RivNut (perhaps in his Roadmaster), NC1968Riviera (his car is on all the materials), Rivman, Klaus all the way from Germany, Pat Curran, and many others, but I don't know any of this.

Rivnut is staying home this year.  Too many other things going on.  Too far to drive a car that I can't show - our '90 won best in class last year so it would just be in the winner's circle. Not too much discussion of this generation on the site - they're pretty much bullet proof.  We've spent a lot of time in and around Gettysburg (I used to teach American History) and we like to tie our ROA trip into someplace new to us - we were also there when the meet was in PA back in 2010.  Had a great time a couple of years ago in D.C. for a Capitol Fourth when we met in Williamsburg, VA.  We'll wait for the moms and dads to get the kids back into school then perhaps go to Yellowstone or some other national park this fall.

100_4508.thumb.JPG.374eb5125cb3e18b20c2056b627be76b.JPG

• Like 3

Had every intention of attending this year until Diane's hip surgery date just recently got updated to the middle of the ROA National meet week...so had to cancel.  Enjoy your time...great cars and great folks (they're like family)!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, NC1968Riviera said:

Great write up Randall. 

You are the Man! 

Actually, I just copied and pasted the info from the registration form, and added a bit of information, but thanks.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, j3studio said:

I'm betting on NC1968Riviera (his car is on all the materials), Rivman, Klaus all the way from Germany, and many others, but I don't know any of this.

My plans are to arrive Tuesday afternoon, and I'll be milling around for the rest of the week.

I am just taking my Silver Arrow since none of my others are presentable enough to take. It will be in the winners circle this year since it placed first in its class in Williamsburg in 2016.

As has been said, your first meet is for the cars, and then you return for the friendships you make. Not to worry about "an inappropriate car" as long as you can come and enjoy the meet. Seeing all the nice cars might just get you going on your own for the next meet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rivman said:

As has been said, your first meet is for the cars, and then you return for the friendships you make. Not to worry about "an inappropriate car" as long as you can come and enjoy the meet. Seeing all the nice cars might just get you going on your own for the next meet.

To expand some on what Randall says about bringing an inappropriate car.  At a number of meets in the past,  guys who show up for the first time with cars that aren't what they consider "show quality" often leave with a greater understanding of what they can do to their cars to make them more "show quality."  In 2014, on gentleman drove his silver '65 GS with a black vinyl top to the show. He only did so with some encouragement from some friends.  He had the paper work that showed his car was a true GS but for some reason he thought something was amiss.  After looking at the car, I could quickly tell that someone in the provenance had replaced the original LX engine with a MX engine.  The first clues were that the engine was painted red and the water crossover pipe had a lifting ring on it.  I sent him an earlier style water crossover pipe and he bought some Buick green paint from CARS.  The next meet he went to he received many raves for his car.  The carbs, intake, and all of the other GS goodies were used in the swap.  Just one example of what a "newbie" can learn just by driving the car that's being worked on.  Another example comes to  mind.  In IL in 2015, the owner of a '63 wanted to know what kind of bracket his transmission dip stick tube was to be bolted to.  It was discovered that he had a later model passenger side exhaust manifold on his '63.  The later model manifold did not have a boss on it for the attachment of the dip stick tube.  Next meet in VA he had that corrected.  Little things add up and sometimes it takes a discerning eye to catch them.  Bringing your car and asking someone who owns a like one to look it over is a sure fire way to  make sure that at the next meet, you're one of the ones answering questions rather than asking them.  Let's see what you got! 

• Thanks 1

I plan to get there around dinner time on Tuesday with my wife and Goldie.  I also like the idea of having some sort of forum gathering, even if just ad-hoc...  ;)

• Like 1

Hotel booked, flight arriving in Philadelphia Wednesday. So far, a nice alignment of stars. Oh well, I had to steer them a bit to make them align properly. Thank you for the information. Total newbie, and only coming to the USA every now and then.

@RivNut I will look for Herr Klaus and introduce myself to Herr Klaus, auf Deutsch, selbverstaendlich! It will be good to have some EU contacts. How do I tell he's Herr Klaus?

Herr Klaus is most easily recognized by his accent. 😎 

Pretty much like most of the other ROA members: over 50, caucasian, wears glasses, hair is starting to grey, and likes Rivieras.  Until he recognizes someone he knows, he'll probably be wandering around alone.  Ray Knott, the ROA Director, will be checking everyone in.  As you resgister, ask him if Klaus is attending this year. If yes, ask if he's registered yet. If yes, ask if his whereabouts is known.  If the answer to the first question is no, then the rest is moot.  I looked at pictures from past meets put there were very few of people, mostly just cars.

Thanks, Ed

Posted (edited)

My wife and I will be arriving on Friday the 21st to attend the Mason Dixon Chapter of the BCA All Buick car show in Hershey on the 22nd. We will be staying at the meet hotel for the entire 8 days. 

My wife's birthday is on the 22nd so I gotta make sure she is entertained and happy too. 

Edited by NC1968Riviera (see edit history)
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, johnrex said:

Here is a picture of Klaus from Williamsburg

IMG_0466.JPG

And with Klaus is Eddie from Massachusetts.  He brought a beautiful Boattail Riv.

• Like 1

Currently the weather forecast for Gettysburg PA during the Meet is scattered thunderstorms. I am bringing my waterproof car cover! 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, NC1968Riviera said:

Currently the weather forecast for Gettysburg PA during the Meet is scattered thunderstorms. I am bringing my waterproof car cover! 

'Tis a late June Pennsylvania thing. Your precaution is absolutely reasonable, but we won't have a good idea until two to three days out.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NC1968Riviera said:

Currently the weather forecast for Gettysburg PA during the Meet is scattered thunderstorms.

That would qualify as near-drought conditions based on the weather we've had here in upstate NY so far this spring.  We've had one 3-day stretch without rain.  Good news is my ark project is coming along nicely, though...  ;)

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

We're getting enuogh rain here that I'm spending more $ on gas for the lawnmower than I am on gas for the car.  I look at the weather forecast so I can plan on when I can get the mower out next. 

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, EmTee said:

That would qualify as near-drought conditions based on the weather we've had here in upstate NY so far this spring.  We've had one 3-day stretch without rain.  Good news is my ark project is coming along nicely, though...  ;)

When did our northeastern New York state "gallivant" in late May this year in one of the newer cars, it was courteous enough to only rain when a) we were driving and b) we were sleeping. I realize we were lucky.

Edited by j3studio (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 10:01 AM, NC1968Riviera said:

I checked the weather channel right after Mike posted yesterday and it was a 40% chance every day, then I checked again later and the chance went down to 30% some of the days. When I looked this morning and it has gone to a 20% chance for most of the week. Hopefully as we get closer the chance of rain will continue to diminish, but we all know they are pretty much just guessing.

1982372649_Gettysburgweather.thumb.jpg.d8fab9492ac168f1ec164237358c94bf.jpg

Still a good idea to bring a cover if you have one, no doubt about that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Weather is looking better instead of worse, that’s a good thing.

1168979994_Gettysburgweather-2.thumb.jpg.e9682cc127cce7b35f717adf4088d3b4.jpg

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:53 PM, NC1968Riviera said:

My wife and I will be arriving on Friday the 21st to attend the Mason Dixon Chapter of the BCA All Buick car show in Hershey on the 22nd. We will be staying at the meet hotel for the entire 8 days. 

My wife's birthday is on the 22nd so I gotta make sure she is entertained and happy too. 

Mike,

How was the BCA car show? And, above all, did Nora have a Happy Birthday? That is the main question of the day, for certain!!!

• Like 1