1941 Buick fender skirt emblems needed

MajesticDean

I posted this before but here it is again.......maybe someone will have a clue.

These "Buick" emblems were on my fender skirts when I purchased the car ('39 Century)........everyone seems to agree they were not used on a Buick.

One person thought they might be from a Professional car....not sure why a custom body builder would add them.

fc emblem.jpg

fender skirt.jpg

• Like 1

I don't know what they're from, but I think they're gorgeous! Much better than the guys who put trim from the wrong year on their skirts (I see '41 trim on a lot of skirts on all years and makes). I'd keep those, they look awesome!

• Like 2

The 1941 Buick fender skirt ornament came in two lengths, i.e., 21 inches long and 24 inches long.  In general, factory installed fender skirts came with the 24 inch long ornaments.  Dealer installed fender skirts could have either length ornament.  The attached factory pictures show a 51C (top up) and a 71C (top down).  Both of these Buicks have the 24 inch long ornaments.

DSC00021a.JPG

DSC00017a.JPG

Most of the 1941 Buicks without the fender skirts used the shorted 21 inch long ornaments on the rear fenders.  However, there are a couple of exceptions.  Some of the early production cars used the 24 inch long ornament (pictured below).  Also, the "A" body Buicks (the Buicks with the Chevy body) did not come with any ornament.

DSC00238a.JPG

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grandpa said:

Also, the "A" body Buicks (the Buicks with the Chevy body) did not come with any ornament.

Is that true? I never knew that. I don't think I've ever seen a '41 without the ornaments, but now I'll start paying attention. Nice factoid!

MajesticDean, find a pair of 21" ornaments if you don't care (they pop up on eBay every so often, and should be cheaper for sure.) 

I have a pair of 24" ornaments if you're still in need. They will need to be re-chromed for show.

Send me a PM if interested,

Anderson

Barney, I agree with Matt. Those ornaments are killer! Zavoom!

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I do have the spears that you are looking for, but don't know if you have already found them? Just getting the hang of this. Thank you, 1941Buicknut. Don't know if we can put in our phone numbers or not but< 805-689-5978 Richard from California

I think those old pictures of the short wheelbase Buick do not say they came without the ornaments, but probably that the ornaments became an optional extra.  Over many years of playing with Buick, knowing Buick collectors and selling Buick parts it is my understanding that the 21-inch shorter ornaments came out for the short wheelbase Buick, and then were also used on the regular 41 Buicks.  In later years only the 21-inch ornament was supplied by Buick Parts.  That is much like the 1946-47 hood ornament with the free-standing bombsight was replaced in 1948 and Buick Parts only supplied the 1948-49 hood ornament with the brace for aftermarket sales.  Now, that is what I have always thought.  However, the late Buick restorer, Lewis Jenkins, once told me that the factory had trouble on some models with the 23-inch ornament whereby the tips would break off from stress.  He was a teenager working at his father's Buick dealership in 1941 so he may have known the truth more than anybody.  The bottom line is you know know if your car came with 21-inch or 23-inch ornaments.  The 23-inch ornaments are extremely hard to find, but there are still some NOS 21-inch ornaments out there, so why not just go with the flow?  My '41 Roadmaster had 21-inch LEAD rear fender ornaments on it, indicating it must have been one of the last before Pearl Harbor when die-cast was already being rationed.

• 1 year later...