Canister Oil Filters

What are others doing about these oil filters?  I have not been able to find new replacements. Are they available somewhere or is there a simple conversion?   

Any ideas ??

I have just finished a rebuild on this 31 Nash engine and would love to pit a new filter on it. 

Thanks

IMG_5588.JPG

The consensus seems to be that they are no longer available except NOS at swap meets etc. But there are modern substitutes. You can still get the cartridge filters so if you can find one of those and put it on you are in business. AMSOIL makes a very fine, spin on filter that you can add to your car. Buy their kit and from then on just replace the filter. Another good choice is the  Frantz filter which uses a roll of toilet tissue. They are still available for around $200 bucks, used ones are just as good and are cheaper.

The main point is that yours is a bypass type filter which uses a much finer filter medium than modern full flow filters. Both are good, you just need to get the right kind for your car.

Very fine (lower single digit micron), bypass filtration also requires full flow roughing filtration. If you are simply using bypass, around 20 microns is a good choice. You will not have to change it very often, and it will do the best job possible in the absence of a full flow filter. Modern full flow filtration at modern oil pressures has evolved from around 40 microns down to around 20 microns. All ancient engines with pressure lubrication can be modified to accommodate full flow filtration. Rebuild time gives a "low hanging fruit" opportunity to do this. Some engines are WAY easier to modify than others.

Is your engine still out of the car ? Have you run it ? What oil are you/do you plan on, using ? I have modified my '24 and '27 Cadillacs full flow at 40 microns on the  '24, and 21 micron bypass filtration for the '27. This is well thought out, and much of it is to the end of maximum flow rate. A large pressure drop across an automotive filter will render it useless. These are OLD engines with 60 and 40 thousand miles respectively. With your NEW engine your filtration needs will be somewhat different. PLEASE let me know the answers to the above 3 questions, and I can give you  very specific recommdations. Let me see if I can post pics of my modifications. I can give more details.    -  Carl   

8BD00307-BF29-4036-8009-68A5F6DEFF23.jpeg

DC271160-1FAA-4E92-A120-2534837B9DAB.jpeg

165D1C1E-237D-4A2E-B11B-074657786B73.jpeg

656E2BE2-CC5A-48E7-B5E3-89CCAA69D020.jpeg

51CC798D-7015-48CB-94AE-73AA7C032AA8.jpeg

CDFA4546-0FE2-49FB-9A02-F27B356514D2.jpeg

Edited by C Carl
Clarification (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Tinindian said:

I have several and they come up on ebay all the time.

I don't know about the filters that are on eBay now. A MoPar guy  at Hershey told me that there are after market canister filters as pictured above (not NAPA) that are made in the far east that have had some of the internals come loose and clog up bearing journals.  A restoration shop near me substantiated that on an  34 Auburn they were working on .  Be careful out there.

• 11 months later...