Gas tank strap ideas

Summershandy

Well, not really the straps themselves per say. I'll be reinstalling my refurbished tank soon and I've already blasted  the straps and painted them. They originally were bare metal with just a short thick block of rubber positioned in the middle against the tank. I can replace the blocks (one had been missing anyway) but I'd like to keep the metal against metal from rubbing or rusting more. I've read anywhere from bicycle tubes to fire hose to wrap or sandwich between the straps and tank. My minds a blank. I would think rubber would hold moisture and I certainly don't have fire hose or canvas at the ready. Any one done this or have any suggestions to give me some more ideas? Thanks in advance!

Rubber is not permeable so it doesn't "hold" water (as long as it is not "sponge rubber"). The small space between the tank and strap will have water in it though, because water has surface tension that will pull it in there (capillary action). Canvas is just heavy cotton or linen, although historically it was made of hemp. So it will hold water unless it is treated with something. Hood lacing these days is cotton treated with a bituminous coating.

I would stick with rubber, if anything. Bicycle tube sounds quite good: it is non porous coz it holds air under pressure! It doesn't have to be UV stable under there and it will oxidise slowly coz only the edges are exposed.

How about that rubber stuff you coat tool handles with?  And, as much as I hate to say it, that as aseen on TV stuff where the guy paints on a coating that turns into rubber?  Both would be a paint on option.

Terry

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TerryB said:

How about that rubber stuff you coat tool handles with?

"Hi little fishies!" the guy says from his glass bottom boat....haha Leakseal.

I've actually used PlastiDip a few times and still have a spray can in the garage.

Thanks for those ideas guys, they really help.

My suspicion is that the original fuel pump hoses were brass braided. If so, the sending unit  would have been solidly grounded through the fuel line. If not, only some tabs bent around the fuel line, or the gas tank straps would be the ground. Thats pretty shaky for a gauge that requires 0 ohms to get to the "e".

Even though the factory probably didn't put a ground strap, we should now.  Any old piece of wire will work.

I used a piece of flat tinned copper braid. I crimped, then soldered ring terminals to the ends. It runs from one of the sending unit mounting screws to an existing hole in the frame. It really looks like it grew there, if you could see it, which you can't, unless you have the tank halfway out.

• Like 1

The ground was one of the reasons I thought the gas gauge/sending unit wasn't working. When I pulled it, it had been so rusted and seized it needed replacement. Before I reinstalled it in the tank, I hooked up the power wire and ran a ground. I was happy to see the gas gauge move to it's perspective mark on the dash. I owned a car once without a gauge and it was no fun I'll tell you. I plan on keeping a good ground for the tank although I like Bloo's thoughts. The fuel line is held by metal clips along the frame along with this big one up front. Too much rust going on to ensure a good ground.  Thanks for the heads up guys!

IMG_6770.JPG