1940 Buick -- Is this a Century?

scott12180

There is a car for sale somewhat locally which the seller calls a 1940 Century. 

I have not seen it in person, but in the photos how do I tell if it really is a Century?

I've attached the firewall data plate.  Could one of you please let me know what model this really is?  If it's a century, how do you know? I thought Century models were "model 60". This appears to say model 40 or 48. 

The car is on Hemmings: https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/buick/century/2041308.html

Thanks -- Scott

1940.jpg

If I am reading the data plate correctly 40-46   is a coupe.  A 4 door sedan is 40-48.  The data plate may have been changed. The car also indicates   Century on the hood as pont35cpe noted.  Best way to check is to measure the wheelbase.  There could be other things in the interior etc  between the different series but i am not familiar with all the 1940 differences.  Thanks   Jim

I think it says 1940 Mod 61, which would indeed be correct for a Century 4 door. Also, one of the visual tells for a 320 engine is the crankcase ventilation intake on the drivers side of the block.  248 is at the back , 320 at the front I can see the area it should be in if a 248 and DO NOT see it.  The area at the front of the engine where it is on a 320 is not clearly visible. Also, the engine # is behind the distributor on the 320 and I THINK I see it there. I am saying a Century.

Nice car, btw.

Ben

On 4/5/2018 at 1:02 PM, Daves1940Buick56S said:

Century! The exhaust manifold is also a giveaway. Very nice, not too many made in 1940. I don't know if there are any 66s survivors.

Cheers, Dave

What is the "giveway" that you see on the exhaust? 

How is it different from the smaller engine?