Brass-Era Car Leather Fan Belt Question

AVS619

On one of my brass-era cars had the engine out and a new flat endless leather fan belt was but on at that time. It appears that the only way to put an endless fan belt on the car is to have the engine up or out as a belt will not fit between the crank handle and shaft. There is no way to remove part of the crank. This should have been OK but now that I have the car running it appears the belt is too long with too much play even when the fan and upper pulley is fully adjusted.  Can a flat leather belt be shrunk while on the car. I can take the fan and its mounting off so the belt can hang down to work on it. Is there a way to shrink it? Otherwise, does anyone know where to find the old style 'alligator' clips for attaching two ends of a leather belt? I could cut the belt and shorten it but then the two ends would have to be fastened some way. Anyway, if anyone had an experience with this please let me know. Please either respond or send an email to brasscars@charter.net  Thank you very much indeed.

Leather can be shrunk by getting it very wet, then letting it dry.  Without knowing the slack, hard to tell if this would work in your case.

Someone out there could probably make a belt with alligator clips on each end, through which you secure with what we used to call catgut.

the other option is an adjustable link belt, I believe Restoration Supply in California sells that belt...

1 hour ago, AVS619 said:

On one of my brass-era cars had the engine out and a new flat endless leather fan belt was but on at that time. It appears that the only way to put an endless fan belt on the car is to have the engine up or out as a belt will not fit between the crank handle and shaft. There is no way to remove part of the crank. This should have been OK but now that I have the car running it appears the belt is too long with too much play even when the fan and upper pulley is fully adjusted.  Can a flat leather belt be shrunk while on the car. I can take the fan and its mounting off so the belt can hang down to work on it. Is there a way to shrink it? Otherwise, does anyone know where to find the old style 'alligator' clips for attaching two ends of a leather belt? I could cut the belt and shorten it but then the two ends would have to be fastened some way. Anyway, if anyone had an experience with this please let me know. Please either respond or send an email to brasscars@charter.net  Thank you very much indeed.

McMaster Crr makes "Belt Lacing" to attach the ends of flat belt together. Why not fix the car so a belt can be changed though... Something isn't right if you need to lift the motor to change a fan belt. Years ago I made a leather belt for a Model T by using small brass rivets to attach the ends.

Thanks to all of you for the information. I actually have two of these cars (IHC J-30s) one together (old restoration and the one with the belt problem) and one under restoration and apart and both have the crank that, when in place, do not have enough room squeeze the leather belt between the crank 'sprocket' and the shaft/pin on the engine. I have not been able to find a way to separate  the crank and the 'sprocket'. Anyway, I will proceed to try to shrink it and also order some belt lacing and solve it one way or another. This may have to wait a bit as I am to have surgery on Tuesday and I won't be able to bend for a few weeks. Had both hips replaced last year and now time to repair a knee. Oh, any other IHC J-30 owners out there? Thank you all again or the information and help! 

Did you notice the belt made to be glued together? Never heard of it myself but if John Knox is selling it I have no problem believing it works.

Howard Dennis

1. STANDARD BELT (has set of clips on each end). We cut the leather to the width & length you specify, machine-install Clipper belt clips onto each end, and provide a pin for connecting the ends together. Your total price is 77 cents per square inch of belting (actual USPS postage charge will be added to the final belt price). Stock widths (3/4", 1", 1-1/4", 1-1/2", 2", 2-1/2", 3", 4") are generally shipped within one business day.

ENDLESS BELT
(has lap joint instead of clips). Pricing same as #1 above, but we charge you for the 4 additional inches of length required to construct the lap joint.

ENDLESS BELT, CUSTOMER CEMENTS LAP JOINT ON-SITE. We prepare the lap joint and ship the belt ready to be cemented, along with instructions for cementing the lap joint. You install the belt, and then cement the lap joint using your own leather cement. Pricing is the same as option #2 above. (Sorry, due to shipping regulations, we are no longer able to provide cement.)