65 Rivi upholstery replacement question

Jojo65

can I modify standard seat to replace with custom upholstery on my 65 Riviera?  My car oriiginally had the factory custom upholstery but was recovered with the standard type before I purchased it. I like the look of the custom upholstery seats vs. the standard upholstery. Also  looking at getting the new vinyl and cloth upholstery set from Clark's Corvair. thanks. 

Edited by Jojo65 (see edit history)

Interesting you brought this up as I had exactly  the same question . Clanks mentions in their ads that the 65 custom upholstery CANNOT be used on standard seat frames. I called them this morning to ask why and the guy (Mark) who is their upholstery expert was not in but will be back in Monday . I plan to call him then and will post what he says . I always assumed the seat frames were identical but apparently not?..

I agree with above that everyone thinks Clarks is the best resource for these covers . 

KReed

ROA 14549

• Thanks 1

I believe its not the seat frames but the foams. NO ONE has been able to supply original foams that aren't deteriorated beyond making a copy as I did with the standard foams which I sent to the outfit in Washington state that makes Carks foams. Clarks was so impressed with the foams quality they started using them instead of who they had been using.

Tom T.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jojo65 said:

My car oriiginally had the factory custom upholstery but was recovered with the standard type before I purchased it.

Assuming the foam was not replaced with standard foam, as Tom T. mentions above, custom covers should work.

Looks like standard covers will fit over custom seat foam, but custom seat covers will not fit over standard foam? At least not and look acceptable.

• Thanks 1

For what it is worth- Finally got a chance to talk to Mark at Clarks's Corvair . According to him, the front seat frames themselves are different between standard and deluxe interiors -one is wider - can't remember which one he said. He said it is NOT a foam problem . I did not ask him about the back seat frames .

KReed

ROA 14549

• Like 1

Mystery solved. I called Clark's Corvair and spoke to Mark. He said that the custom trim seats are wider so I measured mine and although they were redone in the standard style they are wider than standard and thus a custom style cover will fit. Mark was very helpful.  I ordered the cloth/vinyl and will give an update once I get the new covers installed.

• 2 weeks later...

OK Jojo: I'm confused. The given here is that

1. 65 standard frames are different custom.

2. Your car had originally had custom, now has standard

3. You are getting a custom set from Clarks (very good outfit)

My question is.....were the reupholstered seats standard or custom ORIGINALLY before someone else  re-upholstered them in standard?    it seems like that's what you'll also need to know.  Mitch

For what it's worth regarding seat size on the 65 standard vs custom : 

1. My 65 GS  was built with standard interior  and I know for sure  it has the original seats . I am restoring the car and want to put a custom interior in it. 

2. Based on Clarks website and their brochure , custom seat covers will NOT fit a standard frame 

3. Went this weekend to a friend who has three 65 parts cars , one of which had original custom seats and interior . I had hoped the custom frames would be useable for my car . Unfortunately they were too far gone to use . Having torn off the original front seat covers to look at the frames I measured them  and they are EXACTLY the same frame in every aspect , both upper and lower seats , as my standard frame .

4. What I do not know is if the backseat frames are the same since the parts cars did not have one.

Therefore , I  remain confused regarding the conversation that at least two of us has had with Mark at Clark's regarding the fact that  custom seat covers will not fit standard frames . Not sure yet where the difference is based on my measurements . My guess is some one talented in upholstery ( not me ) can make them fit but at $900 /set I remain nervous . 

KReed

ROA 14549

18 hours ago, RivNut said:

It's the foam that's different, not the frame.  If you look at the foam Clark's sells, they tell you it will fit 63 standard and custom, 64 standard and custom, and 65 standard but not 65 custom.  Mechanically the same, cosmetically different.

18 hours ago, RivNut said:

It's the foam that's different, not the frame.  If you look at the foam Clark's sells, they tell you it will fit 63 standard and custom, 64 standard and custom, and 65 standard but not 65 custom.  Mechanically the same, cosmetically different.

Does anyone sell the 65 custom foam? 

In response to Irlforfun, my 65 came originally with custom trim. The previous owner reupholstered the seats in the standard style. I just received the custom covers from Clarks (black Beamonde fabric w vinyl bolsters) and they look awesome. I get them installed next week. Hope all goes well. I did a quick comparison of one of the new front covers to the existing seat and looks like a match.

Edited by Jojo65 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

RivNut, Update on the upholstery for my 65. I purchased the 65 black custom w the Beamonde fabric from Clarks Corvair and had it professionally installed. It exceeded my expectations! The chrome strands in the fabric give the seats an awesome look and the covers are of very good quality. It looks really Sharpe and I get a lot of compliments on the interior. I highly recommend Clarks. 

39 minutes ago, Jojo65 said:

RivNut, Update on the upholstery for my 65. I purchased the 65 black custom w the Beamonde fabric from Clarks Corvair and had it professionally installed. It exceeded my expectations! The chrome strands in the fabric give the seats an awesome look and the covers are of very good quality. It looks really Sharpe and I get a lot of compliments on the interior. I highly recommend Clarks. 

You gotta post some pictures, man.  Like Mr. Earl says "No pictures; it didn't happen!" 😎