Flesh and Blood 69 Riviera (eBay)

Chimera

Has anyone noticed the paint code doesn't match nor does trim tag call for vinyl top? I thought from pics it looked like it had been painted.

Anyone else have thoughts on repaint? My first clue was the level of shine and door latches and 3 large Phillips mounting screws have paint on them. Unless something changed in the way door painting and assembly was done at factory from 1967 they never got painted from the factory. Paint on the door latch screws is often most overlooked on a repaint.

Looking at other pics it sure does look original and if it was a color change someone did a fine job. But I have seen instances before (and even owned a car) where it is very difficult to tell a color change even on jobs done 40 years ago because they were done well.

• Like 1

Doesn't the cowl tag have a paint code of "D"? That is Crystal Blue according to ROA trim page http://rivowners.org/features/Ev_Stats/colortrim/68-69.html. Copper Mist would be code "W" if I am reading the chart correctly.

This car has the pebbled rear window screen panel and the vinyl top appears to have the correct chrome trim pieces in the B pillar.

It's interesting that the spare tire well is also copper color and not blue, so maybe someone repainted the trunk floor also? As stated previously, it appears to be a well executed paint job. Removing the door panels might reveal the original color (?).

I wonder if the cowl tag has been replaced? Without looking at the paper documentation included, who knows? I am sure there is no build sheet available as that would definitely answer that question.

Hmmm...

Edited by NCRiviera (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I've always been under the impression that a car with a factory installed vinyl top would have two digits in the paint code. More specifically a letter for the paint code followed by a number 2 for a vinyl top. BUT, I'm not that familiar with 2nd generation cars. Any e else confirm or reject this?

Ed

I think it's a repaint, as Jason stated, and very well done with the exception of the door jamb latch screws, it's just too shiny for it's age!

Too bad they didn't replace the plastic, kick panel insert  on the drivers side, while they were at it. It has suffered some deterioration damage with age.

The trim code on the cowl tag is correct for the car, and I doubt it has been replaced.

My best guess is -

The vinyl top may have been added at the same time as the repaint , and the proper rear window insert and trim was also installed?

That would explain why the correct color code, and vinyl top code are not appearing on the cowl tag ?

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

22 minutes ago, RivNut said:

I've always been under the impression that a car with a factory installed vinyl top would have two digits in the paint code. More specifically a letter for the paint code followed by a number 2 for a vinyl top. BUT, I'm not that familiar with 2nd generation cars. Any e else confirm or reject this?

Ed

You are correct Ed !

It was an alpha/numeric code with the letter being the body paint color, and the numeral being the vinyl top color.

• Like 1

Nice car with a great color combo . I am still confused about the data plate . "85" is copper mist- Riviera only color  686 is buckskin interior . If the car was originally crystal blue (D code) , would anyone EVER put buckskin interior in it? I think the car has definitely been repainted and suspect the vinyl top added when repainted . Have no idea what the "D" stands for . I think the car is worth the money personally and suspect it could be bought for $17 K if someone had a stack of $100 bills . I have a trumpet gold /black vinyl top,GS with buckets that is a dream to drive . Got a rattle under the dash though that is driving me crazy - have looked everyone and can't find it.

KReed

12 minutes ago, kreed said:

Got a rattle under the dash though that is driving me crazy - have looked everyone and can't find it.

KReed

I had such a rattle in my 66. Turned out it was one of the ash trays which wouldn't stay seated in its frame. Might be worth checking.  Just take the ash trays out and go for a drive.☺

All,

The paint code "85" is correct for `69 Copper Mist Poly and is found on the `69 color chip cards. Unlike earlier years which used sales codes, by `69 Fisher was using an arbitrary code which applied across all GM divisions. The paint sales code on the Wholesale Car Order Form is no longer found on the `69 Fisher plate. The "D" is the code for the vinyl top.

Tom Mooney

• Like 1

Thanks Tom- that makes sense finally . Is the "D" code for vinyl top only used for the 69 ? Thanks Ed - will give it a try with the ashtray out. Thinking back it didn't rattle until I took the radio out for repair - maybe didn't get it secured right when I they put it back in ?.. One of the little things that drives me crazy in any car is a rattle . 

KReed

12 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

The "D" is the code for the vinyl top

Thanks for clearing that up Tom!

This site has what appears to be fairly complete cowl tag decode pages. See here for 1969 Buicks: http://www.tpocr.com/buickbp9.html

Edited by NCRiviera (see edit history)

14 hours ago, 68RIVGS said:

The '68 and '69 Color and Trim Book only shows letters, so it might be a good idea to list both to avoid any confusion ?

Hi Randy,

That is because the letters were used by the salesman to place the order but were not used by Fisher Body to mark the cowl tags,

Tom

On 11/17/2017 at 4:16 AM, JZRIV said:

Thanks Tom. Sounds like the website needs updated for 69 color codes since it still lists letters. 

Yes, Ray and I went thru this process with a member recently. Sorry, I dont spend any time on the website but probably should,

Tom

14 hours ago, 68RIVGS said:

Thanks Mr. Tom - it all makes sense now  - still think it's a repaint though, like Jason stated !

All in all, a very nice '69 Riviera with a different color combination, and the '69 custom Buckskin interior looks absolutely great.

Is it possible someone has clear coated the original paint? That would explain the shiny appearance and prominent orange peel texture in places....cool car...I`m diggin` the original spare, but I would definitely suggest to any potential buyers to do a physical on site inspection,

Tom

4 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Randy,

That is because the letters were used by the salesman to place the order but were not used by Fisher Body to mark the cowl tags,

Tom

The '69 cowl tag shown verifies that Tom, but  all the 68 cowl tags I have collected (Rivs 'n Cats, long gone parts cars), are stamped with a letter for the paint code,

and a numeral for the color of the vinyl top  option if so equipped. :huh:

So they must have made that change somewhere during the '68-'69 production runs ?

?????????????????????????

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

21 hours ago, 68RIVGS said:

The '69 cowl tag shown verifies that Tom, but  all the 68 cowl tags I have collected (Rivs 'n Cats, long gone parts cars), are stamped with a letter for the paint code,

and a numeral for the color of the vinyl top  option if so equipped. :huh:

So they must have made that change somewhere during the '68-'69 production runs ?

?????????????????????????

Yes Randy, that system was also used previous to `68. But 1968 was not 1969 :rolleyes: