1928 Buick Master removal of starting crankshaft cap

dracenroc

Thank you, that helps!

I'm wondering why I can feel the backpressure of the spring. The cap must therefor be jammed somewhere at the engine side pressing the spring together when I pull it. I can turn the cap almost free, feeling a light resistance. It seem like the whole spring turns, like clipped to the cap.

I can pull it forward to see the shaft. I cannot see the spring but I can feel the resistance while pulling. Installing a bearing puller and trying to pull with a sledge hammer didn't work either. What came out is something like a greased thread in several pieces...?

Either I leave it in place or I cut it open and look for a spare.

If you are able to see the shaft, then you are past the crankcase cap pin that holds the crankshaft cap in place.  It may also be stuck to the seal cap, and that is pushed toward the cotter pin and collapsing the spring.  The drive pin is the widest part past that point.  Maybe you can squeeze the tube so it is oval in the direction that you want to keep it from hanging up on the drive pin.  If it is hung up on the seal cap, you may need some penetrating oil and some time and possibly heat.  Hugh

5a0b7c1a8b5d3_crankseal.thumb.JPG.76f903c5d1d3f02039f228b02109536a.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks for the picture Hugh, that helps!

As I can pass it forward it goes over the drive and cotter pin but I cannot see the seal by pulling it. So most probably the seal is stocked and moves forward collapsing the spring. This will also explain the remains of the greased stuff coming off.

I will try again and let you know.

Leif, the cap is aluminium.

Short follow up, crankcase cap is off!

I tried it with heat, penetrating oil, pliers to squeeze and form and even with an exhaust extractor, no chance.

Finally I had to cut a short slot in the cap to open it a bit. Then I was able to pull back the seal and it came off by further pulling by hand.

Its full of dirt and a little bit bent, that must have been the cause for being stuck.

Thanks you all for your hints & tips!

2017-11-25 11.11.40.jpg

2017-11-25 11.22.46.jpg

2017-11-25 11.22.36.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Werner, 

All may not be lost for the old starter hole cover.  You can take a piece of pipe that fits inside the cover and put the pipe in a vice.   Perhaps with a hammer you will be able to straighten the aluminum tubing on the starter cover.  It will take some time, but this kind of work to me is theraputic.  You can't make it any worse, only better.  The split near the opening wont show.  If the inside end were sanded smooth and greased, it may have never gotten stuck.   Hugh 

• Like 1