34 door handles

Pitalplace

You need to grind off those little swedged out areas on the shaft holding the washer on for the guts to come off of the shaft. I would do that, then grind a groove around the outside of the shaft next to the washer for a small snap ring or wire. That way, you can reassemble it and it will hold together. A Dremmel tool works best for a small groove.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Keiser has the best solution although I had drilled small holes just under the retainer sleeves to accept a small roll pin or nail to hold the parts together after re-plating. A good chrome shop can repair those escutcheons.make sure that you keep all the parts for reassembly.

I am in the process of reproducing the sleeves, for most handles, figured out a process that works just need to get my rear in gear and get them going, I also make the spring keepers for door handles, along with replacement springs for headlight bolts, I will update periodically,

I used a couple pieces of wood under each side of the echelon and tapped the end of the shaft with a hammer. The sleeve came right off and I think I will be able to reuse it. I may need a new spring. Will try to find a drivers door handle and then I will send them to the chromer.

I know what a C-clip is, Tom, but my knowledge of E-clips is nonexistent.  Since I'm getting ready to do my handles,  a further explanation would be welcome.  Did you have to cut the grooves deeper or just put the clip on as is?

7 hours ago, Uptowndodge said:

Not sure if I would go with pita's advice at all. He must have got lucky, not to many are come right off. I would say using his advice you be needing excusions as you bend the crap out of the slamming a hammer to the shaft. Right way and a wrong way trust me!! 

I got lucky as there was no damage to the shaft or the echelons. It did push out the dimples in the sleeve but I think I can push it back on and re-dimple  it with a punch. I did find a drivers door handle so when it gets here I will send to the chromer.

5 hours ago, ArticiferTom said:

It looks like a C but has a center post , making in a round E . The post helps keep it centered for max tension . Cannot remember if ground any more in grooves , do not think so .

Thanks.

Edited by Taylormade (see edit history)