1925 Std. Starter and water pump shaft coupling ring

Hubert_25-25

I am looking for information and 2 parts.

This is a view of the input to the starter generator on my 1925 Standard.  The previous owner put this large broken oversized lock washer in here.  Can anyone tell me what part goes directly under the bolt head with the slot cut in the head?  Is it a serrated lock washer?  There are some light radial grooves cut into the drive mechanism.   I am also looking for the "coupling ring" that goes between the rear of the water pump and against this starter drive mechanism.  This should be the same for all 1922-24 4 cyl, and 1925 standard.    Thank you,    Hugh

IMG_5446.thumb.JPG.fca582c88fde8446a837b3c5d28d8e40.JPG

IMG_5447.thumb.JPG.f75a3c3e7dac37c6ec6c2e6c8043cf0f.JPG

5a0220921a7fe_Generatorshaftcouplingring.JPG.0e765e8faf26cdb7343ad543dbb8c505.JPG

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)

Hugh, here is the photo of the coupling that I think you are looking for.  The dimensions are as follows -  Outside Diameter - 1.655"

Inside Diameter - 1.090"

Thickness - .345"

Slots (4) - .312" wide X .195" deep

Let me know if this is what will fit your starter/generator input.

PB070095.JPG

• Like 2

Don is right about the material being hardened.  Hugh, check the outside diameter of the mating part on the end of the water pump / starter/generator shaft.  This will tell you if the coupling that I have will work for your application.  I really

suspect that what I have will be what you are needing.  The outside diameter of the shaft coupling part is 1.660"  Here are a couple of photos to show the application.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

PB080096.JPG

PB080097.JPG

I appreciate all the help in locating an "Oldham coupling".   I also appreciate the extra photo that Kevin sent.  I think I still need to clarify what I am looking for regarding what is under the head of the starter generator input bolt head.  The serrations on the top side of the part with the D shaped center must mean something.  Its tough when the parts book does not have an exploded view.  Thanks again for all the help.      Hugh

5a049df741bec_startergeneratordrivefastener.thumb.JPG.70ea70d680963a379873de12516c3f6f.JPG

5a049e08ea619_starterDrivepartsphoto.thumb.jpg.41eab6ca3240462e00dfd70bd1acb1a8.jpg

Hugh, this might be a long shot, but, I think I'd call Rex Curtiss at Precision Power in Lansing, Michigan.  The phone number is (800) 794-5962.  Their email address is - www.precision-pwr.com

Rex Curtiss has been working on these Delco starter/generator units for a very long time and if anybody would know about what you are looking for, it would be him'

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

• Like 2

Hugh:

I will check one of my spare S/Gs as I believe they were pretty well stripped and the distributor casting was missing. The Master S/G that still has a distributer housing shows a lock washer against the serrated face and that is all. It does not look as it this section has ever been separated on this unit. Oh wait! I have my Standard's S/G in a box on the running board while the engine is out....DSCF6452.thumb.JPG.e00ef2cd45ff67c617c3361a1c7d94f0.JPG Just a lock washer.

DSCF6455.thumb.JPG.b59852a1b8d2b2889eddb684a36f38f4.JPG Coupling plate. Part#44402

DSCF6456.thumb.JPG.2604071d6189359bf50807459eb6a990.JPGWater pump shaft coupling.

Larry

Edited by dibarlaw (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Larry,  Terry and Jim, 

Thanks for the comments and the extra photos.  The previous owner put a lock washer under the head ,but it was so large and the wrong size, I was not sure what belonged there.   I have two SG units, and one shaft does sit proud as Jim suggests, so I will look into that when I start rebuilding these.  Hugh

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I wanted to follow up on the the parts that were missing from the two starter generator units that I have.  I thought with having two, that I could pull one apart and use the other for reference, but identical parts were missing from both units.  How strange is that.  The big part missing was the Oldham coupling.  Terry Weigand had a spare, but it was an earlier year and smaller.  Tony in New Zealand took the time and created a drawing to provide dimensions.   Don Micheletti specified the part needed to be hardened.  Brian Heil and Kyle Sliger both came to my rescue with having correct sized Oldham couplings.    Leif in Sweden verified the proper year cross reference.  Brian ultimately sent me a coupling since he had other items from a "rusty parts" SG unit that he dismantelled for me.  There is a short bushing (spacer) between the armature and the starter clutch that was missing in both of my units.  Jim Bourque correctly identified this problem in the photos which I had not noticed.  Brian sent me that bushing, and I had a friend make a duplicate for my other SG unit.  The lock washer that is under the bolt that holds on the starter generator clutch that Larry DiBarry sent a picture of, I was able to get from Brian as well.  It is a special lock washer, but I think considered a "flat lock washer".  A style that is no longer available.  The modern lock washers just don't do what this style does, so I will either use a star washer here, or put a small space on the inside of a standard lock washer to keep it centered, as the ID is too large for the bolt.   The drab olive green paint is drying on the case so I should be able to start assembly soon.  

Thanks to all of you for the help.  It truly takes a village to raise a Buick.  

Hugh

5ab3af53745b0_StarterGeneratorshaftboltsandlocks.thumb.JPG.85044d6b02b9c769eed870f0e1e86d74.JPG 

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

I finally have one of my two 1925 Starter Generators reassembled.  New bearings, brushes, everything disassembled cleaned, regreased and ready to go.  I would like to bench test it, but I need to borrow a 6 volt battery from a friend.  This is an amazing contraption of levers, springs and a clutch.   Thanks to all for help with the missing parts.   It took parts from no less than 6 different sources.    Hugh

IMG_6514.thumb.JPG.f71010ea9c410ebdc02c2e98dfc9bb96.JPG

IMG_6517.thumb.JPG.3c4f1badf6a9e8038e67391da1fefc4b.JPG

• Like 2