1956 super - No revers

Guest Super56

Thanks for adding me!

Just bought a -56 super that has been sitting for a long time. It has no reverse, and the link to the transmission seems fine. What more can I look for before I start taking it down, and will I be able to get this thing going again without any knowledge about transmissions and 50s?

Thank you for your time?

Could be bad reverse pump, sun gear, reverse band... to test a Dynaflow, you need to set up a pressure tank to bench test the valves and pump. Much easier to just tear it apart and look and see what's wrong.

This is what was wrong with mine:

11050253_10153796781625830_8253721219823

Everyone told me it was the pump, but it was the sun gear. You never know until you get in there...

Edited by Beemon (see edit history)

I heard about a 1960 Dynaflow that would unhook the reverse band if you went from reverse to forward without coming to a complete stop. It was possible to hook it back up. It did not take a complete teardown. This was done in the car with the pan off. I don't know any more about it than that.

Not an unhooked band? Do what Beemon says, and tear it down.

10 hours ago, Super56 said:

What more can I look for before I start taking it down, and will I be able to get this thing going again without any knowledge about transmissions and 50s?

The VERY FIRST thing you need to do is buy a 1956 Buick shop manual. Then you need to spend some time reading it. Then you need to either perform the diagnostic tests or find someone who will. We can help answer some of your specific questions but you need to have some basic knowledge before you can even ask meaningful questions.

Your reverse problem can range from a simple adjustment, to deteriorated mounts, to a reverse band strut failure, to an internal component failure.

Visit EBay, buy the book, perform the tests.

A preemptive tear down should be your last choice.......................Bob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The Reverse strut and reverse anchor are one and the same.  As far as I know you have to remove the trans oil pan, and may have to remove the valve body to access this strut, which can then be maneuvered back into place.  The trans does not have to be removed.  Chances are you need the car on a lift to do this.  But a good trans shop may know all about this. 

Guest Super56

I am not at the car for a couple of days. But will a mount  without rubber be able to cause this, like the shifter arm will not go as far down as to the reverse? Can I unhook the arm, and try to shift it to reverse under the car, or am I missing something her?

Edited by Super56 (see edit history)