63 Buick Riviera Trnsmission gasket & filter

Turbinator

Gents, Would someone suggest a supplier that can provide a gasket and filter for a twin turbine transmission in the 1963 Buick Riviera.

is there a front and rear transmission seal for the 63 Riviera transmission? I have an oil leak some place. I need to have the transmission fluid drained and replaced. I figured might a's well get ALL the oil seals, including the engine, so when the car is on the lift the seals, gaskets, and filter are available to replace what needs to be replaced. In summary, what are the seals on the engine that interfaces with the transmission. I know what an oil pan gasket is, but I'm not sure about engine seals that might leak around the transmission.

thank you

Red Riviera Bob

I had a long conversation with a guy who rebuilds Dynaflows because I've got a leak in mine.  His take was that once it start leaking, it's usually got to come apart because the common culprit seals require disassembly to replace.  He went on to say that at that point, you might as well get it rebuilt since most of the guts are already out.

I decided that I can buy a drip pan and a lot of fluid for the time, effort, and cost of a fix.

Edited by KongaMan (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, telriv said:

I have "Modern" replacement rear main engine seals in stock if needed.

Tom T.

Tom, I do know I need a transmission filter if the 63 had a transmission filter. I'm not satisfied with what suppliers are showing or their description of the goods. I know I need a transmission pan gasket when the pan is bolted back in place. 

How does your modern rear engine seal differ from other rear engine main seal? I want your seal I'm just trying to get a tiny bit more info.

PM me with the cost and S/h. Im in zip code 21093.

Bob Burnopp

Greetings RRB     You will probably find trans filter & gasket at your local auto parts store. That trans was pretty common with many GM cars of that era. You might also check out Ebay, where you'll likely find a cork gasket, as opposed to the neoprene one the parts store will sell you. I recently replaced my leaking gasket with the neoprene one. While having some exhaust work done it was called to my attention that it was still leaking. I informed the mechanic that I had recently replaced the gasket, & the first thing he asked was, is it neoprene or cork. I purchased the cork gasket on Ebay, & that took care of the problem. If it's just the pan gasket that's leaking that is an easy fix. the seals are a different problem altogether.  I would agree w Konga that if the leaks are minor, a drip pan & some extra fluid is the way to go. You've got to expect  50+ yr old car (or human ) to leak a little, & you're talking about some major moolah replacing those engine & trans seals. I have a 2'x3' pan & a bag of oil absorbing gravel. The pan is just the right size to catch my rear engine seal & trans pan leaks. Best $2500 I ever saved. Good luck!       BTW it will help if you can take the old filter to the parts store w you.... I believe they came in different configurations & you'll be sure to get the right one.      Drew

17 hours ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Gents, Would someone suggest a supplier that can provide a gasket and filter for a twin turbine transmission in the 1963 Buick Riviera.

is there a front and rear transmission seal for the 63 Riviera transmission? I have an oil leak some place. I need to have the transmission fluid drained and replaced. I figured might a's well get ALL the oil seals, including the engine, so when the car is on the lift the seals, gaskets, and filter are available to replace what needs to be replaced. In summary, what are the seals on the engine that interfaces with the transmission. I know what an oil pan gasket is, but I'm not sure about engine seals that might leak around the transmission.

thank you

Red Riviera Bob

Bob,

The drip pan is a good thing to have and they are very inexpensive. You should be able to pick one up at your local parts store. I picked mine up at O'Reilly's. Even if you get all of your leaks taken care of it would be a good idea to get one to put under the car when you store it for the winter or any length of time. The Dynaflow when not used for an extended period can burp out up to a quart of transmission fluid. The drip pan will save you a lot of clean up. I did not know about this phenomenon when I stored my car for its first winter. I was more than a little panicked when I went out in the spring to start it up for the first time and saw this huge puddle of transmission fluid on the floor. I was very relieved to find out this was normal and all you need to do is top of the fluid and drive.

Bill

drip pan.jpg

1 hour ago, RIVNIK said:

Greetings RRB     You will probably find trans filter & gasket at your local auto parts store. That trans was pretty common with many GM cars of that era. You might also check out Ebay, where you'll likely find a cork gasket, as opposed to the neoprene one the parts store will sell you. I recently replaced my leaking gasket with the neoprene one. While having some exhaust work done it was called to my attention that it was still leaking. I informed the mechanic that I had recently replaced the gasket, & the first thing he asked was, is it neoprene or cork. I purchased the cork gasket on Ebay, & that took care of the problem. If it's just the pan gasket that's leaking that is an easy fix. the seals are a different problem altogether.  I would agree w Konga that if the leaks are minor, a drip pan & some extra fluid is the way to go. You've got to expect  50+ yr old car (or human ) to leak a little, & you're talking about some major moolah replacing those engine & trans seals. I have a 2'x3' pan & a bag of oil absorbing gravel. The pan is just the right size to catch my rear engine seal & trans pan leaks. Best $2500 I ever saved. Good luck!       BTW it will help if you can take the old filter to the parts store w you.... I believe they came in different configurations & you'll be sure to get the right one.      Drew

Drew, everything you write makes sense. The leaking is relatively minor compared to other leaks I've seen. Your point is well taken to leave good enough alone. There have been times I've tried to adjust or repair only to make things worse.This just may be the time to leave well enough alone.

Thank you

RRB

6 hours ago, RivNut said:

Should have named my dog "Dynaflow."

Ed, there was a right good avant-garde rocker named Frank Zappa penned a tune " Dynamo Hum". The tune was released while I was attending college. Dynamo Hum has nothing to,do with slip and slide with power glide or any other transmission, but the tune is funny.

RRB

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RivNut said:

I've heard that song. She talks about her sister in it if I'm correct.  It was actually Dinah Moe hum. 

Ed, I would put myself in the same category of experience and knowledge of American commercial/popular music from 1920's forward as you are to the Riviera automobile. I'm not a musicologist, but I am a musician and well read regarding music history in America. I don't believe the singer was singing about his/her sister. If, a sister was referenced then the song had incest activity. If memory serves me, " I whipped off her bloomers and stiffened my thumb and applied rotation to her sugar plum"....Dinah Moe hum...

On 9/15/2017 at 10:15 AM, Riviera63 said:

Bob,

The drip pan is a good thing to have and they are very inexpensive. You should be able to pick one up at your local parts store. I picked mine up at O'Reilly's. Even if you get all of your leaks taken care of it would be a good idea to get one to put under the car when you store it for the winter or any length of time. The Dynaflow when not used for an extended period can burp out up to a quart of transmission fluid. The drip pan will save you a lot of clean up. I did not know about this phenomenon when I stored my car for its first winter. I was more than a little panicked when I went out in the spring to start it up for the first time and saw this huge puddle of transmission fluid on the floor. I was very relieved to find out this was normal and all you need to do is top of the fluid and drive.

Bill

drip pan.jpg

Bill, thanks for the drip pan idea. I finished taking the transmission pan down to drain all the fluid. I managed to get everything back together. Tomorrow I check for leaks.

RRB

Bob,

Bill

drip pan.jpg

On 9/18/2017 at 10:29 PM, Red Riviera Bob said:

Bill, thanks for the drip pan idea. I finished taking the transmission pan down to drain all the fluid. I managed to get everything back together. Tomorrow I check for leaks.

RRB

Bill, no leaks. I'm getting the drip pan because there are drips from the engine.

RRB

3 hours ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Bill, no leaks. I'm getting the drip pan because there are drips from the engine.

RRB

Bob,

Good idea. Remember to use it under the transmission if you store your car for an extended period. Even a transmission that is not leaking under normal driven conditions can burp out the fluid when sitting for an extended period.This is not an indication that the transmission is leaky or bad. It is normal and just something that these transmissions do when sitting for awhile.

Bill

While you're at it, get one for the steering box, it's just a matter of time. :D  Or get one really big one that will go under everything.

My steering box would leak if I left the wheel with the cross bar anywhere but 9:00 - 3:00.  Any other direction and I'd have a little puddle in the morning.  ??????? Never did figure that one out before tucking the '63 in the back corner.

Not sure it was answered about filter. They are not available for the Dynaflow. It should be metal mesh so wash it and reinstall. If it's bad like mine, had to source a good used one and wash and install. So far mine is leak free. It's a fresh rebuild though. 

On 9/23/2017 at 3:24 PM, RivNut said:

While you're at it, get one for the steering box, it's just a matter of time. :D  Or get one really big one that will go under everything.

Autozone used to sell big ones (maybe 3'x4'?) for about $10, but all I can find these days are small ones (maybe 2'x3'?).

21 minutes ago, flh73 said:

Not sure it was answered about filter. They are not available for the Dynaflow. It should be metal mesh so wash it and reinstall. If it's bad like mine, had to source a good used one and wash and install. So far mine is leak free. It's a fresh rebuild though. 

Sir, you are the first to answer. When I opened the transmission pan I thought the filter was just left out by the previous owner. I washed out my screen filter like you described and put it back together. The transmission drained overnight, but only took 4 quarts to fill it up. I guess fluid is trapped in the converter as someone else mentioned.

thank You for your follow up.

Red riviera Bob

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 7:15 AM, Riviera63 said:

Bob,

Bill

drip pan.jpg

My 63 did the same thing (puddle of atf on the floor after sitting for an extended period). Do you (or anyone else reading here) know why this happens?

I just got mine back on the road after doing complete drive train. The trans hold 12 quarts empty but just doing pan is only 4 quarts like you experienced. The converter hold ALOT of fluid. I thought there was a drain plug on converter. I'll have to check manual to confirm.

8 hours ago, telriv said:

Yes there is Gary.

Well, I certainly spent important time to NOT do the job correctly. Next time I'll be more thorough. My assumption that all the fluid in the transmission would All Drain was All wrong. Next time I'll do more and hopefully more accurate research. I appreciate the info because I was wondering how the fluid got out of the converter.

RedRivieraBob

If you replace only 4 of 12 quarts at a time, you 'll have to do this 5 times to get to the point of having 90% new fluid.  That's 20 quarts of fluid.

OTOH, if you drain the pan, drain the converter, and flush the lines and cooler first, you'll get better results faster.   You'll never get all the old fluid out without disassembling the transmission, but the pan, lines and cooler, and converter hold most of it.

Google is your friend (along with YouTube.)  If you have a couple of buddies to help you, you can disconnect the transmission cooling line from the cooler on the bottom of the radiator and flush to converter (plural in the case of the Dynaflow) by having one guy to run the engine (if the converter will turn in neutral, otherwise, it's you'll need a lift) , one guy to pour in new fluid to replace the old, as you watch the fluid coming out of the return line from the cooler to watch it change color.  Pull the pan, clean the filter, and reinstall the pan and add to the full mark before draining the converter.  Don't try it based on what I said; Google it, read it, and watch a video or two.  You'll need a big can to catch all the old fluid coming from converter.

Ed

Ed, Yes, YouTube and Google are my friends. I work with them quite a bit. I appreciate the assistance and good direction you provide as I trudge the road to happy automobile maintenance and repair. I'm at the point that I will try to make adjustments and do some repairs on my Red Riviera.

thank You,

Red Riviera Bob

5 hours ago, KongaMan said:

If you replace only 4 of 12 quarts at a time, you 'll have to do this 5 times to get to the point of having 90% new fluid.  That's 20 quarts of fluid.

OTOH, if you drain the pan, drain the converter, and flush the lines and cooler first, you'll get better results faster.   You'll never get all the old fluid out without disassembling the transmission, but the pan, lines and cooler, and converter hold most of it.

Mr. Konga Man, Concur.

Extended options would include taking the vehicle to a reputable transmission shop and let them take care of the task. Although the trade off of dollars spent for someone else to do the work will out out weigh my loss of leisure time doing other things I enjoy more. At this point in the game I want to maximize the utility of my time.

thank you

Red Riviera Bob

On 9/15/2017 at 9:33 AM, RIVNIK said:

Drew, thank you for taking the time to assist. The summary is I only changed the fluid in the transmission pan. I did not read or figure out to get the fluid out of the converter. The successful part was I got the pan down and made my own gasket from cork and rubber sheeting they just for making gaskets. No leaks, no joke, and I was surprised.

Red Riviera Bob

Bob,

Bill

drip pan.jpg

I ordered three Lisle pans. When they come will we a pic.the Price was low so maybe I'll get a weak product. We will see

On 9/25/2017 at 2:39 PM, Red Riviera Bob said:

Mr. Konga Man. I checked out Amazon and they had 4-5 different sizes with varying prices.

Red Riviera Bob

I ended up buying 3 Lisle pans. When I get them in I'll post a report on quality and value.

Red Riviera Bob

• 7 months later...
On 10/2/2017 at 4:45 PM, Red Riviera Bob said:

I ordered three Lisle pans. When they come will we a pic.the Price was low so maybe I'll get a weak product. We will see

Bob,

I got the Riviera out of winter hibernation yesterday. Attached is a picture of the the pan I had under the car during storage. It had burped out some fluid after sitting all those months. The drip pans as you probably found out make this a quick clean up and a very minor annoyance. I took it out for a drive to get it good and hot and topped off the transmission fluid. It took 10-11 ounces and we were good to go. 

Bill

IMG_3964.JPG