Real world value of my car (55 St Regis)

Guest Sig556

I haven't been around in a while and circumstances are such that I may consider selling my '55 St. Regis.  I suspect most of you have a better feel for real word prices.  Curious as to what the price range would be.  I understand it is all subjective and rough ballpark amounts are welcome.  I have attached a few pictures to give an idea of condition.

Background:

I purchased it from a CA estate in 2013 and i believe I am the second owner.  The engine is the original engine that came with the car (331cid) based on the build sheet.  At the time, I was able to get the car running without putting much money into it.  I eventually rebuilt the carb, replaced the fuel pump, rewired the ignition and did basic maintenance.  Friends who are mechanics said the engine was sound and they wouldn't do a rebuild until it needed it; I should enjoy the car.  I did, but because I am adventurous and wanted the "experience", I pulled the engine, not to rebuild, but to freshen it up.  Also to work on the front end suspension, etc.  Did not pull the heads, do any valve/lifter work, but I did replace gaskets, timing chain/gear, crank gear, cleaned up the oil pump, new rear seal, etc.  I had the generator and starter rebuilt..

I replaced many of the front end bushings and replaced the center link and tie rods.  Also did a front disc brake conversion with new master cylinder.  Rear drums turned and the rear pads were re-lined.

Current condition:  Engine is back together and the engine/trans/drive line all hooked up. Need to hook up the trans linkage, install generator, water pump, radiator, trans cooler, fan, pwr steering pump, etc.  Engine has not been started since it was pulled.  There is some rust on the driver's side floor board and there is a little paint bubbling on passenger rear qtr panel by the wheel well.

Sorry for the sideways pictures, I am not too tech savvy when it comes to posting pictures.

What is your opinion of value in current condition v. a running vehicle?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Washed 4-29-13.JPG

Engine 1 - pulled.jpg

1.JPG

Post Paint & assembled2.jpg

Post Paint & assembled1.jpg

After brake job5.JPG

On Blocks - Rear View.JPG

Do what it takes to put the engine in and make it run, even if you have to hire help.. Or you are going to get, what we call in these parts "porked".

Those are really nice driving cars. Something like 20 years ago a banged up, rusty one came to me for taillight work. I drove it and loved it. The guy sold the car and to this moment I wish I had bought it.

I think you are looking at a $2500 car. Sometimes I think they outta make you post a bond before you take a car apart, even me.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Someone in these parts sold a twin to that car 1-2 years ago.  He had replaced a bunch of the chrome with really nice chrome.  Had the interior professionally reupholstered, had it painted (pretty good job)  Added a bunch of extra period accessories.  It was a turn key car and the guy I believe drove it home.  It was a solid car in decent shape.  Maybe because everything was fresh a notch or so above yours.  He got I believe 15G  for it,  but that was in turn key pretty fresh looking condition.   Ironically somewhat similar color combination as well. 

I would say in running driving condition with good brakes, tires, etc.  the 7500.00 range is in the ball park.  Especially on your coast.  Probably worth a few more bucks in the east.  This could drop if any of the rust is significant.  The front chrome looks good but the back looks noticably tired.    How bad is the paint? 

Keiser,

Thanks for the assist on the photos.

I appreciate the input, it at least helps me figure out what to do; which is put it back together quickly if I decide to sell.  I'm not sure the proceeds would actually be worth it at between $5,000 - $7,500. 

I know the cost goes down when you cant start it.  Wasn't expecting the 40% drop mentioned.  I did talk with a friend with a '59 impala conv. who deals with a European collector and he threw out a 30-35% drop for a non running car.  Wasn't sure how bad it could be.  

With non running the buyer is taking all the risk as in it might need the tranny rebuilt and the engine rebuilt unless you have fresh receipts from a reputable shop to show either or both of those have been rebuilt.  Then there is still a smaller price drop if they can't actually hear it run and drive/ shift properly as the shop may have missed something so they need to have enough cushion in the price to be able to fix the unknown.  Even running and driving with all new mechanics but other cosmetic issues will really make a vehicle hard to sell.  

I've told people paint and chrome sells then a nice interior and behind all that the Mechanics. (though with a really nice looking car, people assume the mechanics must be fine)   They  do want to be able to atleast drive that shiney new looking old car on and off the trailer into their garage though. 

Some of this depends too on whether you are selling to a seasoned collector / old car guy,  or a newbie.  The seasoned collector will value the mechanics more than many newbies.   Most likely because they have already bought a mechanical Lemon that looked the part but could barely get on or off the trailer and even worse had quirks that were very expensive, involved or nearly unfixable.  

$100 doesn't get much work done. Walk around the car with a clipboard and break the work to be done into individual jobs. There are probably 50 of them. Add some parts and the total is pretty simple math.

You need to begin "the eternal search for the uninformed buyer". Prepare the car as if you were going to a show. Clean and detail all you can. Organize, bag, and label all the parts. Take the book off the floor and put it with the parts. Take the tire out from under the car. There may be some spider webs from the floor to the chassis. Wipe those away and the little egg sacks. Dust and spritz the car with detailer and polish the chrome, even if it is pitted. Make the car look like your most prized possession. Lots of people selling cars overlook the impression.

I look at that manual lying on the passenger floor and wonder if you were sitting there reading it and just dropped it there overwhelmed with depression. Clean the sill plate trim so it at lease reflects light. All of those things affect your presentation and all are jobs to do.

You are, essentially, "selling someone work". That is the only phrase my Wife has learned from me in 40 years of trying to train her. "I thought you weren't going to buy any more work." How many times have I heard her say that?

Try to find advertising media in affluent neighbors or church publications. Avoid the typical car advertising venue. Find a dreamer.

If a relative, friend, or neighbor has really been enamored with the car don't exclude the idea of just giving it to them. I don't own anything I couldn't walk away from. It has all been a net positive experience.

Bernie

My 56 Imperial although tired wont bring the $13K that I am asking,

I did get an offer at ten but turned it down.

Trouble is I bought it from a LIAR and am only trying to recover half.

Running, driving and everything works properly.

IM002158.JPG

IM002165.JPG

Everyone,

Thanks for your input.  

There is a little confusion on some of the details and I can understand why.

I had a foreclosure 5 years ago, have been renting and cleaning up my credit score.  Last week I was given notice my landlord is selling; so I've started the process of buying again.  That part is going well, credit good, and I have a good sum for downpayment, etc. 

I'm just running through scenarios of what I could do.  I have the '55, a truck, a car, and a motorcycle.  On top of that i have a couple other hobbies that require space and money.  I'm kicking around selling the car for add'l down payment money.   If running, i could realistically realize $10-$15k, I would consider spending the 1 to 1-1/2 days needed to get it running and go from there.  If, however, I could only get about $5,000 in running condition, I won't spend the time now to do it.  I'll trailer it to the new place and work on it there.  Also, if I did sell, it changes my needs in a new place, etc.  

Also, the pictures with the tires off are from several years ago when I was redoing the drum brakes.  I stripped it all off and had the drums turned and the shoes re-lined; then reassembled the whole thing.  The pictures were more to show the condition of the paint, body work, interior, etc.

At present, the engine and transmission are back in the car and the drive line hooked up.  Disc brake conversion completed and the tires are on it.  I need to install the pwr steering pump on, the generator, the fan and pulleys, the transmission cooler, the water pump, re-install the radiator and shroud, throw the carb on it, fuel pump, coil, plugs/wires, etc.  I don't think it's far from being on the road again, it all comes down to time and motivation.

As I said, I'm weighing my options and was looking for information to help me decide how to proceed.

Yes, my car is in the Sacramento area.