AC FUEL FILTER GLASS BOWL GASKET/SEAL PART NUMBER

buick special

Had a successful first start of the car yesterday but the fuel filter glass bowl was leaking badly

I just came back from a few different parts stores and got a batch of o rings / seals for the gas filter bowl but none worked and fuel leaked out of the glass bowl

What is the correct part number of the seal or what is the seal everyone uses for these AC fuel filters with the glass bowl?

I want to proceed with a driving test for the car but can not yet as the filter glass bowl is leaking like a sieve

Remove the bowl and seal or gasket. Put the bowl in position against the pump body. Can you rock it? If so, you will not get a seal with any gasket because the top is bent. The stirrup has been over-tightened.

If the top is bent, it can be straightened, but you will have to remove the pump and take the top off. it must be straightened gradually with heat (boiling water is enough). I can post the way I have done it if you need it.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

2 hours ago, JFranklin said:

Take the glass bowl to the parts house and have them give you a fit. Make sure there is no burrs or cracks on the bowl rim or the housing it fits to.

That's what I did but all the o rings they gave me were either wrong size or to thick ,

also they all had a round cross section and I think the original was a flat round seal

38 minutes ago, Spinneyhill said:

Remove the bowl and seal or gasket. Put the bowl in position against the pump body. Can you rock it? If so, you will not get a seal with any gasket because the top is bent. The stirrup has been over-tightened.

If the top is bent, it can be straightened, but you will have to remove the pump and take the top off. it must be straightened gradually with heat (boiling water is enough). I can post the way I have done it if you need it.

I checked and the bowl rested flat against the body with no rocking

Originally it was a plain cork "gasket".  Buy a piece of cork gasket material at you local parts supplier and cut your own,  3/64" or 1/16" would likely work.  About 3/16" or 1/4" wide.

Or else take you bowl and go to a local tractor supply place.  You don't have to tell them what it is from, just that you need a gasket for it.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

23 minutes ago, JFranklin said:

Are you going to an auto parts store or the hardware store? It is hard to believe an auto parts store doesn't stock the right gasket. Maybe you do need to make your own if so. Even my little town parts house could get the gasket. Where do you live?

Location is long Island NY , I went to a couple of good local stores , napa was one , I will try AutoZone in a day or two

I use to make carb kits out of cork years ago , but recall even though the cork was suppose to be gas proof , tiny pieces would disintegrate and find their way into the jets so I stopped using cork

would like to find a rubber one

29 minutes ago, JFranklin said:

Are you going to an auto parts store or the hardware store? It is hard to believe an auto parts store doesn't stock the right gasket. Maybe you do need to make your own if so. Even my little town parts house could get the gasket. Where do you live?

Location is long Island NY , I went to a couple of good local stores , napa was one , I will try AutoZone in a day or two

I use to make carb kits out of cork years ago , but recall even though the cork was suppose to be gas proof , tiny pieces would disintegrate and find their way into the jets so I stopped using cork

would like to find a rubber one

The Filling Station sells them FG-1 is rubber, FG-3 is cork/rubber. I would be very surprised if you can't find them locally. Bob's may also have them and you can get other Buick treasures to spread out the shipping.

The Filling Station is a Chevy/GMC parts source. The gasket also comes with gas filters such as GF124.

Good Luck

Dave

Bob's has them too FBG-295, check the size to be sure it will work.

Edited by Dave39MD (see edit history)

22 hours ago, Phillip Robinson said:

I had one that leaked, and i checked it by taking the top off and laying it on a piece if glass, to see if it is flat all way around. It was not flat . I used small clamps with a flat square of steel plate, slowly tightened over a few days, to get shape flat again. Spinneyhill, how did you flatten yours.? WITH Warm water?

Boiling water. You can speed it up a bit further if you heat up to 175 °C but NO MORE (you are getting a bit close to the melting point). Too hard to control so I used boiling water. I clamp it up as you say, lightly, then pour boiling water over it and tighten up a bit more. Another jug of boiling water and another gentle tighten. Repeat. Repeat etc. When happy and it is cool, examine. One of mine still had a slight bow. I put a short steel rule (0.020" thick) across under the stirrup mounts and did it again. It came out perfectly.

I checked by rocking the glass bowl on its seat without a gasket.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spinneyhill said:

Boiling water. You can speed it up a bit further if you heat up to 175 °C but NO MORE (you are getting a bit close to the melting point). Too hard to control so I used boiling water. I clamp it up as you say, lightly, then pour boiling water over it and tighten up a bit more. Another jug of boiling water and another gentle tighten. Repeat. Repeat etc. When happy and it is cool, examine. One of mine still had a slight bow. I put a short steel rule (0.020" thick) across under the stirrup mounts and did it again. It came out perfectly.

I checked by rocking the glass bowl on its seat without a gasket.

I've got a badly warped top/air horn piece on a spare carb on my shelf. I think I'll try this method to see if it can be salvaged. Thanks for the information.

6 hours ago, Dave39MD said:

The Filling Station sells them FG-1 is rubber, FG-3 is cork/rubber. I would be very surprised if you can't find them locally. Bob's may also have them and you can get other Buick treasures to spread out the shipping.

The Filling Station is a Chevy/GMC parts source. The gasket also comes with gas filters such as GF124.

Good Luck

Dave

Bob's has them too FBG-295, check the size to be sure it will work.

Last time I needed a bowl gasket, maybe 3 or 4 years ago, I took the sediment bowl to my local auto supply and they matched up a gasket in about a minute.

thank you all for the great replies and thank you Bob for the pic of the napa seals ,

I went to 8 places and no one would bother checking when I brought the glass bowl ,

I went through my old car stuff and found some better cork material and made another gasket

unlike the others I made this cork seemed to work and held back the gas from leaking

I gave it a quick test up and down the driveway so I know 1st and reverse go good with no bad noises

• Like 1