1992 Roadmaster Brake grabbing

Folks, I need some ideas on this brake problem.  After setting a while  ,  the left front brake will grab  . I can "feather " the brake pedal and maybe not do it. After a couple uses, no problem until next time it sets a while.  I have checked the brake and the rotor and all other components are bone dry and clean. SO what am I looking for.

Ben

Wondering if "lot rot" might be the issue?  As bad as that might sound, it's the surface rust that tends to form on disc brake rotors when the vehicle isn't used for a while.  Once it's wiped off by brake pad interaction, things are fine as the pads have a clean and smooth surface against which to work.

Usually, when calipers "stick", one pad is worn much worse than the other one, in the wheel-pair of pads.  There's specific caliper grease to lube the slides with to ensure smooth functioning in that respect.

Keep us posted,

NTX5467

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 6:16 PM, jackofalltrades70 said:

Could also be a brake caliper hose coming apart on the inside and locking the caliper.

I second this suggestion as this did happened on my '92 Riviera once before.

Bad rubber lines to the brakes can cause many different symptoms.

My '39 had a condition.....as you slowed, it would pull to the left, then suddenly just before completely stopping it would pull hard to the right.

I found a broken return spring and thought that would fix it but no change, until I replaced the right hose and the problem went away.

Not waiting until the other side failed, I then replaced the left side and rear hose.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Hopefully find out today. I gave up ant took it to the shop Friday morning. The brake section in the shop manual totally intimidated me.

Ben

What?!?!  This from the guy with the totally re-engineered and fuel injected 263 in his "very" Special 1950?   :o:lol:

Just teasing Ben! 

• Like 3

Well, seems even though the SYMPTOM was in the front, the disease was out back!  I had filled the master cylinder and noticed the fluid was dark.  Like used oil. Almost. So first thing that was done was flush, hoping this might free up a "sticking" equalizer . No joy. Further inspection, or maybe as the bleed progressed, the rear wheel cylinders were found to be leaking. Replaced them and the soaked shoes and all is well. Except my Pocket book. And my pride.  I should have checked!  I WILL next time.

Thanks for the comments, folks.

Ben

• Like 1