Two '66 GS going this Summer

PWB

Two very nice GS 2nd gens up for bid this Summer. Sadly, one is an estate sale.

Should be interesting to see how they fly!  ^_^

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/buick/riviera/1975260.html

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/buick/riviera/1971511.html

Correction: Plum has fixed price.

59716726-770-0@2X.jpg

59634857-770-0@2X.jpg

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

I think of the 66 year as part of first generation (or 1.5). I know this is not correct, however it makes sense to me. Nailhead engine, still have the faux wood steering wheel, metal knobs (not plastic) for radio for example, so on.

1 hour ago, Pat Curran said:

How can the gold one "appear correct and unmodified" when it has a 430 engine?  At least they are including the original block.  A nice looking car though.

Indeed. I'll bet the auctioneer is guessing as to whats inside the car.

The poor guy must have passed away suddenly.

His whole station and (nice) vehicles are up at auction.

The gold Riv. has the correct GS badge on the dash. Custom/deluxe interior CLOTH seats. ^_^ 8 track player with tapes. No pic of the engine though.

Power antenna switch but appears to be a manual antenna.

"PAUL VACCARINA ESTATE AUCTION
AUCTION #1: Nice Commercial Building
Auto Repair Shop
AUCTION #2: High Traffic Corner Lot
Former Service Station
Also Selling: 5 Antique Collector Cars
HD Motorcycle – Vespa – Repair Shop Equipment
Hand Tools – Car & Engine Parts
Oakwood Village – Cuyahoga County, OH"

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

10 hours ago, EmTee said:

The gold one appears to have been painted, as the Riviera lettering that should be on the hood is missing and the holes were filled.

Good catch!. Those letters hard to get? His front bumper is laser level and at least his wiper arms were reinstalled correctly, unlike plums' bumper and wipes.

I'll take either one, however! B)

Good catch on the hood letters EmTee. Might even be a 67 hood with holes filled. Not sure why they wouldn't reinstall letters.

The gold car looks very straight on exterior. Its a major change to put a 430 in a 66. Even if you had a free engine, it wouldn't be worth the hassle in my opinion. Although a complete 67 donor would make it easier. Many things need changed. I have to wonder what the motivation was to replace a beautiful nailhead GS engine with cast aluminum valve covers and a  chrome air cleaner with a 430. The 430 is a great engine but cosmetically its lacking vs the as-equipped original.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, JZRIV said:

Its a major change to put a 430 in a 66. Even if you had a free engine, it wouldn't be worth the hassle in my opinion. Although a complete 67 donor would make it easier.

Yes, Jason, that's what I thought as well.  Although impossible to say without seeing the car in person (and maybe not even then) perhaps the '66 was in a front-end accident and the front clip and running gear from a donor '67 was used to repair it.  Maybe the '66 engine block or trans suffered some fatal blow?  Or, maybe the owner happened upon the '66 GS with bad engine and used his '67 to make one nice car?  It would be interesting to hear the 'rest of the story' on this one...  ;)

Um, but somehow they were able to locate the correct '66 grille!  :huh:

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)

As Jason said, swapping a 430 for a 401/425 if no mean feat.  There's a "how to" in the tech tips section of the ROA's website.  It would take less time to swap out a nailhead for nailhead in a 66 than it would take you to read how to do the swap.   Let's start with starter motors being on opposite sides, then on to distributors being on different ends.  From there it goes downhill. I'm pretty sure  (like 99.9%) that no one swapped a 67 front and engine on to a 66 chassis.  There'd be no money in it and your family would tire of visiting you at the asylum after you got about half way through the swap; as it would need er get completed.

Ed