Trying to figure out what two cars would be worth

junkyardjeff

My neighbor has a 64 and 72 Impala convertibles that have been sitting in a pole bar and not run for about 8 years,both are Ohio cars that had rust repairs and repainted but are decent cars that need a good cleaning and the normal things to get running. I am going back over with a light so I can look at the floors and really go over them and get pictures,today was the first time I seen them in over 10 years and initially thought they were nicer then they are but told her I thought that she should take no less then 6000 for the 72 and the 64 should be worth at least 10,000 if the floors and frame are good.

We really need to see pictures,  Especially of the undercarriage and interiors.  A little patch on the quarter or rocker well done is one thing,  but if  the whole bottom of the car is rebuilt with pop rivets and Angel Hair that will drastically affect the value.  Engine options and base or SS model will make a big difference as well. 

I once looked at a '40 Ford that was stored in a "pole barn" with a dirt floor. As others have stated the mice, raccoons and squirrels literally destroyed the interior of this car. Their droppings ruined the floor pans and the dirt floor allowed moisture to do a lot of damage to the bottom sheet metal. A thorough inspection is a must before purchasing the cars.

For the more common cars I've found the NADA classic guide to be pretty fair. I'm sure others would argue with that, but what else do you have to go off of? Options matter as others have said. But it starts at low retail of around $10k for the '64 and a car that hasn't been running for 8 years sitting in a pole barn will not be in the low retail condition. Get it running and put an inspection badge on and you're probably there. Think to yourself "well goodness no, that will cost thousands of dollars" and you now know what it's wroth a fair amount less. But the right options could bring it up. Low retail on teh '72 is $5400, so it's an even bigger uphill battle.

If I left two cars in a pole barn for ten years the stress of the sentimental loss would be way too much for me. I'd probably leave them sit for another 30 or 40.

I'm so attached to my cherished items.

Bernie