Interesting Finds in the ACDelco website

NTX5467

Earlier, I was digging around to determine whether or not Dexos 1 motor oil was now synthetic rather than the original synthetic blend motor oil.  I did the Google search and ended up in the ACDelco.com website, on the Dexos 1 synthetic motor oil page.  I then went back into the website and found a few other interesting things.

We have known that the current OEM production atf is now Dexron VI and it replaces the older Dexron III product, plus prior GM ATF all the way back to the first HydraMatics.  As a result, no older Dexron products were in the pipeline.  Dexron VI use started with the 6-speed automatics, which needed a synthetic fluid, due to their design.  BUT, ACDelco, being the "aftermarket" arm of GM Parts, now has a "ATFType III-H" transmission fluid which is for vehicles pre-Dexron VI, specifically the Dexron III-H and prior Dexron and Type A atf-use vehicles.  An alternative to the "All Makes" atf other oil companies sell, where you have to read the back of the bottle to see if the "All Makes" included prior Dexron-use applications.  The 32oz bottle part number is 10-9047 (ACDelco) and 88863083 (GM dealer).  It can be ordered off of the ACDelco website.

We've known that GM didn't renew any licenses for earlier Dexron-branded products when Dexron VI was introduced.  I suspect the new "Type III-H" item MIGHT be closer to the prior Dexron III products than another oil companys' product might be, all things considered.  Or it might be a little better in some respects than the prior Dexron III?  But at least it comes from a GM entity.

ACDelco also sells motor oil which is pre-Dexos 1 in a variety of viscosities.  All with the latest OEM specs.  Not synthetic motor oil.  And, of course, the synthetic rear axle lube has ONE major attribute I don't believe any other similar product might have . . . "A fresh grape scent".

The basic website is ACDelco.com/auto-parts/vehicle-maintenance.html.  On that page, there will be icons for "Lubricants", "Adhesives", "Appearance",  and "Maintenance".  Click on the appropriate icon and look for the "OE" item desired.  When you click on the description of the item below the picture, it'll take you to a page just for that item AND a link to order it directly via that website.

Proceed at your own risk, but there might be some items somebody might use, as the "Patch Panel Bonding Adhesive" or the package of "flexible-stem brushes" (for painting).

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Dexron III is a normal "dino"-based atf.  Although the "normal" maintenance schedule (as opposed to the "Severe Duty" maintenance schedule for police, taxi, and trailer towing use) didn't recommend any atf changes "in normal use", I found on another website, a statement that the real life of Dexron III was about 40K miles (in normal use), before the additive package was depleted.  Be that as it may.

The design of the newer 6-speed automatics uses "Clutch-to-Clutch" shifting and needed a better atf, which got us Dexron VI.  It is a SEMI-SYNTHETIC atf, not a "dino"-based atf.  That, in itself can account for the higher cost.

The comment about the service life of Dexron III was in a discussion of atf that Chrysler uses.  Initially, starting in '68, Chrysler upgraded to Dexron from the older Type A fluid.  Since the middle 1990s, their fwd transaxles went from Dexron III and a Chrysler additive, to their own line of "ATF+" atf.  At that time, the last variant was a semi-syn atf.  It was noted that the reason they didn't go all the way to a full-syn atf was that some tailshaft housing seals were not compatible with all of the syn atfs on the market, so they erred on the side of discretion to use the semi-syn fluid which had greatly increased service life from the earlier Dexron III atf.  And, of course, very possibly lower cost for the semi-syn fluid.

When Dexron VI came out, we were told it totally replaced the prior Dexron III fluids and was, like then, backward compatible to the first HydraMatic.  The fact that it's a semi-syn fluid, considering what the Chrysler forum stated, can make that happen.  Also, that for any vehicle which is spec'd for Dexron VI, Dexron III is not to be used in its place.  Dealership atf was upgraded from Dexron III to Dexron VI and onward and upward.

To complicate things a little, there is a fully-synthetic Dexron VI HP atf for the much more recent 6+ speed automatics.  This was necessary as in some operational modes, the Apply Percentage of the torque converter clutch is less than 100%, so a full syn atf was needed to handle the extra heat being generated from that "controlled slippage" situation.  No doubt it costs MORE and might not be backward compatible.

At the dealership level, we "hear" about the "new stuff" and how it replaces the "older stuff".  In the earlier situation, Dexron VI replaces Dexron III, as Dexron III ceases to be licensed by GM, which generated all of the "multi-make" atf that primarily mentions vehicles which previously used Dexron III and prior fluids.  Those multi-make fluids have several OEM fluid specs to meet and might end up being a better fluid as a result, but it can also mean a more "generic" fluid of sorts . . . and all that might mean.  On those multi-make atf bottles, it IS important to read the back of the bottle to determine WHICH multi-makes it will work with!  Some variations of them are not for GM vehicles!

ACDelco, being a more "aftermarket replacement" and captive OEM supplier of GM, has the freedom to venture into other markets than just GM dealerships.  Therefore, their "Type III-H" fluid is their answer to the multi-make atfs that target prior Dexron atfs.  Can't call it "Dexron III" as GM isn't licensing the prior Dexron fluids to anybody, just the current production Dexron VI variations.

I know that in the past, some have recommended using only the atf that the vehicle had in it when new, even using Type A Suffix A in vehicles originally designed for it, rather than using the replacing Dexron III fluid.  To an extent, I concur with that until you realize how much-improved the later fluids are than their earlier versions.  Some might feel better using a Dexron III-style fluid from a GM operative rather than a multi-make atf from somebody else.  That's why I found this whole Type III-H ACDelco atf interesting and wanted to mention it.

NTX5467

• Like 1

On 5/28/2017 at 4:46 PM, Larry Schramm said:

On 5/28/2017 at 0:46 PM, old-tank said:

...but twice the cost

But a much better product.

So, now you tell me that I have been using inferior stuff.:rolleyes:

I bet it still leaks out of my slobbering dynaflow just as fast as the old stuff.:o

• Like 1

What I put in my post as to the particular webpage address was what was in the address bar for that page.  I added the "www" myself as that's what all addresses normally begin with, but of late, the Edge browser seems to automatically delete the "www".  The other unusual thing is that only the "ACDelco.com" was blue-underlined, as in this sentence, rather than the whole string ending in ".html".  I found the original Dexos 1 synthetic oil page via a Google search rather than trying to wade through all of the ACDelco menus.  From there, I went backward in the menu to find what I did . . . the page with the four designations I mentioned.

"Inferior?"  Old-Tank?  Just depends upon the particular reference point.  Certainly not inferior to the original Type A atf the vehicle came with.  Not inferior to the earlier Dexron variants.  Inferior to semi-syn and synthetic atf?  Yes.  Just depends upon which level of performance from the product is desired for your particular vehicle.  Your $$, your car(s).  Your judgment call.

Sorry for the inconvenience to those who experienced it.

NTX5467

Ok guys...let's make this easy. The link for the Dexron III-H is: http://www.acdelco.com/auto-parts/vehicle-maintenance/lubricants/transmission-fluid-atf-type-iii-h.html Per website..."ACDelco ATF Type III (H) is a premium quality automatic transmission fluid for use in a variety of passenger cars and light trucks. It is formulated with select base oils and additives to meet the heavy demands placed on automatic transmissions, including the generation of electronically controlled transmissions. ACDelco ATF Type III (H) is recommended for the following uses: when DEXRON-III(H), DEXRON-III(G), DEXRON-II(E), DEXRON-II or Type A Fluids are required in all automatic transmissions built by GM that do not require DEXRON-VI and can used in some hydraulic and compressor systems where excellent low-temperature flow ability is required."

•32 oz. Part No. 10-9047 88863083 Price at Wal-Mart.com is $9.99 per 1qt bottle. Edited by beerczar1976
Added pricing (see edit history)

It was stated:   only the "ACDelco.com" was blue-underlined, as in this sentence, rather than the whole string ending in ".html".

Well, here is that entire link -

http://www.ACDelco.com/auto-parts/vehicle-maintenance.html.

Clicking on it does not yield anything but a 404 Not Found Error?

I am not trying to be difficult or cause trouble.  I am just confused in terms of what is going on.  I will now stop beating a dead horse and drop this matter.

Edited by D Yaros (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 1:42 AM, NTX5467 said:

"Earlier, I was digging around to determine whether or not Dexos 1 motor oil was now synthetic rather than the original synthetic blend motor oil.  I did the Google search and ended up in the ACDelco.com website, on the Dexos 1 synthetic motor oil page.  I then went back into the website and found a few other interesting things."

What (new) oil do you gents recommend for a '67 posi' axle?

Thank you much

• Like 1

When I changed the fluid in my Silverado posi rear axle I went to the dealer and bought the Goodwrench stuff.  I believe it was 85W-90 and has the limited-slip additive built-in.  In the old days (20 years ago) you had to buy the oil and the additive separately.  Given how long that oil will remain in service I can't see any reason not to do the same for the Riviera.

Update: I went back and looked it up.  Here's what is specified for my truck: SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Axle
Lubricant (GM Part No. U.S.12378261)

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)
  • Like 1

In those earlier times, the rear axle lube was the normal lube, to which a bottle of Positraction Additive was added.  The older PTracs were "locked until they unlock" as the newer ones in the light duty pickups are "unlocked until they lock".  About the time they went to this style of PTrac, they also changed the fluid spec to a "universal" rear axle lubricant.  The current production lube is synthetic.

Somewhere, along about 1970, there was a specific PTrac lube and a specific non-PTrac lube.  Then, a few years later, it was "normal" lube + PTrac Additive (which is wha's in my '77 Camaro PTrac now).

The PTrac additive is there as a friction modifier to allow the clutches to slip when the car negotiates a corner or turn, where one wheel slows down and the other one speeds up.  Otherwise, it can "pop", usually on left hand turns at slow speeds.  

I believe that all of the "normal" rear axle lube is now approved for "limited slip" rear axles, but I'd still add a bottle of additive to it.  As the clutched are always engaged unlike the newer styles where a governor weight swings out to engage the clutches.

If you remove the rear cover of the rear axle center section, if you see either a "S"-shaped flat spring or 4 smaller springs between the spider gears, that PTrac is "locked until it unlocks" (and should need the PTrac additive).  If you see a thin gear with teeth on its outside edge, with a teardrop-shaped "weight" nearby, that's the one that is "unlocked until it locks" (that uses the more recent-spec lube).

NTX5467

• Like 1