Willys or "Willis" ?

Guest Al Brass

Guest Al Brass

Most people here seem to say Willy's, as belonging to Willy but I once read a statement from a nephew of John North Willys that claimed the family name was pronounced "Willis". Has anyone got an opinion ?

Regards

Al 

I have also seen the reference to "Willis" but in my area "Willie's" is recognized.  Of course most around here also refer to the German sports car as a "Porsh" rather than "Pors-sha" and the British one as a "Jag-wire" rather than "Jag-u-are"

• Like 2

By most accounts, J. N. Willys pronounced his surname ""Willis," although "Willies" is usually used for his products (I've had two Jeepsters, now down to one, since 1981.)

The issue on another thread referred to the (misspelled in the other thread) Wills Sainte Claire automobiles of Mr. C. H. Wills, whose parents were apparently fans of Byron and who thus named their son "Childe Harold."

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, poci1957 said:

I have also seen the reference to "Willis" but in my area "Willie's" is recognized.  Of course most around here also refer to the German sports car as a "Porsh" rather than "Pors-sha" and the British one as a "Jag-wire" rather than "Jag-u-are"

And the Brits pronounce it "Jag-you-uh".  I'm SO confused?!:D

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Grimy said:

By most accounts, J. N. Willys pronounced his surname ""Willis," although "Willies" is usually used for his products (I've had two Jeepsters, now down to one, since 1981.)

The issue on another thread referred to the (misspelled in the other thread) Wills Sainte Claire automobiles of Mr. C. H. Wills, whose parents were apparently fans of Byron and who thus named their son "Childe Harold."

I just realized you also have a '48 Jeepster. I would love to see pics. Have you seen pics of my fathers? It was in the process of being restored. Good body/paint, rebuilt engine, NIB side curtains and top but not all the mechanical parts are connected and the interior is in good shape but not in the vehicle. We may have spoke on this before, but there's been so much to keep track of. 

I don't think there can be any debate:

The company itself pronounced it "Willis."

The alternative would be an unusual use of English.

You can even hear the correct pronunciation, "Willis,"

on YouTube videos made by the company itself.

Thank goodness that audio tape had been invented

to preserve history!

• Like 1

Guest Al Brass
6 minutes ago, billorn said:

I don't care how you say it but for god's sake stop putting the apostorphe in there when you write it!!!!!

What's an apostorphe?  :rolleyes:  Should it be apostrophe perhaps?

Al :lol: