FOR SALE: 1931 Buick Model 8-57

Hello Everyone,

It is with great sadness that I announce I must sell my 1931 Model 57.  I am moving overseas for work, and can't take her with me. 

I bought this car from Mark Shaw about 2 years ago, and it has been an absolute blast to drive and own.  It runs perfectly and strongly - starts up on the first try every time, has good compression on every cylinder, and holds 20+ lbs of oil pressure.  She's a strong old girl!  She has been used in parades and shows with Fire Department that I work for, and was featured in the 2016 Houston Auto Show. 

Mark did a great job restoring this car in the 90's with his father, and rebuilt the engine at the same time.  The 3-speed synchromesh manual gearbox shifts smoothly and effortlessly, just like a modern car. I have a stack of records and handwritten letters documenting the refurbishment. The car now has a clean Texas title.

The red and black paint shines beautifully.  There is NO RUST at all, and only a few minor chips on the front fenders, around the door jams, and on the hood latches.  I had the car professionally polished a few months ago...you'd think it was just painted yesterday.

Mechanically, this car is very sound.  The brakes were professionally adjusted last year, along with a carburetor service, rebuilt water pump, steam cleaned radiator, new Optima 6V battery, and valve adjustment.  The louvers on the front work well and the engine doesn’t overheat even during Texas summers. It does have a puff of smoke upon startup due to a minor exhaust valve leak, but new exhaust valve seals come with the car. Very minor seepage from the oil pan gasket and a minor leak from the rear differential is also present (about a drop per month), but a new oil pan gasket is included as well.

The big feature here is that the car is 100% complete.  All of those impossible to find pieces are present, and Mark passed along a ton of spare parts as well, including the jack, an original “Specifications and Adjustments” book, Fischer body manual, and slides of the service manual. Additional spare parts that accompany the vehicle are as follows:

• Two rims/tires
  • Front brake rod/cable
  • Four backing plates with brakes
  • One steering connecting rod
  • Bottom radiator hose tube with drain valve
  • Rocker arm assembly
  • Valve cover
  • Throw-out bearing oil tube/cover
  • Spark plug side cover
  • New oil pan gasket
  • Distributor cap
  • Ignition points and rotor

This is a really beautiful car, a fantastic driver, and something I planned on keeping forever - but life got in the way.  It's currently featured on the Bring-a-Trailer auctions - if you're interested in owning her, please feel free to contact me here or on Bring a Trailer.  I would be happy to provide additional pictures and/or video of anything you'd like to see.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1931-buick-model-8-57/

1.jpg

2.JPG

4.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

SPARES.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/25/2017 at 5:44 PM, roadmaster29 said:

I don't see a price here or on the bringatrailer site other than a $6000 bid. I would like to know what you are hoping to get. Beautiful car by the way

Historically, BAT auctions don't really spike up until the last 12 hours or so...which is understandable, why pump up the price when there's still days left on the auction? 

Edited by envoy_to_the_stars (see edit history)
  • Like 1