Just bought a 1939 Buick 46-S

Guest CCB

Hello,

I am very excited about my new '39 46-S. Take a look at the pictures. The car appears to be an older restoration. Its a beautiful car. Of course there are some things I'm not happy about (it was converted to 12 volt), but in general I'm excited. My ultimate goal is to have it brought back to as original condition as possible. Its obvious that modifications were also done to the dashboard too. The original turn signal lever is gone and a replacement is mounted on the column. This is interesting in that the radio is Motorola and not Sonomatic, but it seems to be original. Any thoughts on that? There are no opera seats, that may be difficult to find. Can someone give me feedback on the ID plate? It appears to have been built at the Linden plant, but I'm not sure on the interpretation of the other numbers. I hope the plate is clear to read.

Thanks for any help!

-Colin

Plate.JPG

IMG_2099.jpg

IMG_2102.jpg

IMG_2111.jpg

IMG_2105.jpg

Welcome to the world of '39 Buick's

By the small wiper transmissions, its probably has the short chassis

The side fender lights are uncommon, and desirable

I will send a message to Sean1997. He can decode

For pre war Buick parts contact DaveT by phone. Can be hard to contact, so keep trying

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/206688-dave-tachney/

You can join the '39 Buick Team http://forums.aaca.org/topic/207201-39-buick-team-membership/

Some posts in the thread have linking problems due to the [new] software used

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

Welcome to 39s

The original turn signal  switch from the factory was mounted on the gear shift lever. 39 was the first year Buicks had turn signals from the factory but they were rear signals only in the trunk mounted  buick eight logo. The front fender mounted lights were originally an optional extra and were park lights only but are easy enough to make as yourf ront turn signals. Your are also absent the spark plug cover plate on the engine. If you post engine and chassis numbers here it will be  possible to decode them a bit more. It looks a lovely first buick car. 39s are great pre war cars and there are lots of great and knowlegable people on the forum to help you navigate all the "one year only" and "first time in a buick" features in these cars. Welcome to the buick forums and enjoy the car.

Cheers

Andrew

Anzac Buick64

Edited by Anzac Buick64 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Congratulations and GOOD LUCK!  She's a beauty!  I recently acquired a '37 that I am restoring and learning.  The members on this forum are a tremendous resource.  Very helpful, knowledgeable and informative.  Welcome!

Congratulations Colin.  Looks like a very nice pre war Buick.  Please begin by cleaning, reading, using the car and driving, lots of help here, you can learn as you go.  Best of Luck, Gary

Thanks everyone. The previous owner did indeed wire the front fender lights to be the directional. I'm in Alexandria Virginia, just outside of DC. The Buick came from NY.

BUICK MOTOR DIVISION   
GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION   
FLINT, MICH.   
1939 MOD. 46-S  
STYLE No 39-4427   
BODY No L 870   
TRIM No 700   
PAINT No 532   
MO.  DAY  YEAR
BODY BY FISHER   

1939 = 1939 model year    
MOD. 46S    
46S = Buick model 46S = 2-door sport coupe with opera seats, 4-passenger    

STYLE No 39-4427 = Fisher body style number    
39 = 1939 model year    

4427 = Fisher body style number    
4 = Buick    
4 = Series 40 (Special)    
27 = 2-door sport coupe with opera seats, 4-passenger    

BODY No L 870     
L  = body built at Linden, NJ   
870 = 870th 4427 built at Linden, NJ 

Trim 700 = Tan Novelty Bedford Cord, available on models 41, 41A, 44, 46, 46S, 48, 48A    

Paint code 532 = solid Verdé Green    

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I have noticed that my '39 Buick does not have the small oval shaped "Body by Fisher" emblem on the right front cowl area that I have seen on other cars. Were they not put on all models? Or maybe it was removed at some point?

Should be there. Were on all models.

Not 100% sure, but guess they were the same for several years,

Ask Dave T, as post above

The car is also missing a diagonal brace at the radiator to the side that goes under the hose (Has a cut out for the hose)

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

Do you have a picture of the brace? I don't know where you mean under the hood. I'd like to see where exactly it was supposed to be

I'd like to get this car back to as original as possible so I appreciate any pictures to help me. I'm obviously new to this.

Ok. Actually what's interesting is that there is a "Body by Fisher" metal emblem screwed into the passenger seat on the side.

Someone on EBay has that brace that's missing. Its listed as being from a '39 Buick Century, but maybe its the same dimensions as on a 46-S?

2 minutes ago, CCB said:

Ok. Actually what's interesting is that there is a "Body by Fisher" metal emblem screwed into the passenger seat on the side.

Never seem that before. Cannot ever remember seeing one in that position on a '39 before.

To me you have found the missing cowl emblem.

Try Dave T for the brace

1 minute ago, CCB said:

Someone on EBay has that brace that's missing. Its listed as being from a '39 Buick Century, but maybe its the same dimensions as on a 46-S?

I do not have access to my parts books now but 90% chance are the same.

Just now, CCB said:

Is the black dashboard correct? Someone said it might have been painted.

Dash should be (faux) woodgrain.  It is hard to get the dash painted as woodgrain and look correct.

Many '39's have painted dash

If you send me a private message with your email I can send some images

Download every thing about 1939 Buick from here http://oldcarmanualproject.com/

And the 1942 shop manual.  Is in many parts, but very useful for all Buick Straight 8's

http://oldcarmanualproject.com/searchresults.html?cx=partner-pub-1753017650679806%3Au585dq67tc4&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=1942+buick&sa=Search&siteurl=www.oldcarmanualproject.com%2F&ref=&ss=3227j1497351j10&siteurl=www.oldcarmanualproject.com%2F&ref=&ss=3228j1498532j10

• 1 month later...
Guest CCB

More unpleasant surprises with this Buick. I noticed on the dipstick that is says "1942-40-50" and so I looked at the number stamped on the engine towards the front end, and the number is 45825445. That's not the original engine is it?

Guest CCB

This is obviously the first antique car I have bought. I bought it from a guy on EBay just from photos, not knowing anything about the way it should be. It had been with a mechanic for months getting it in driving condition. I finally got it back and I'm learning that there are so many things that are not correct about it, and it isn't working once again. I don't think its getting a spark this time. Whoever had it before me did so many Kluge things to it. It was converted to 12 volt and that was done improperly I think. This has been a very frustrating experience and I'm thinking of just getting rid of it at this point.  

Hopefully you bought it right.  Having a later engine really isn't a huge deal on these cars in terms of value.  It sounds like a great learning experience if you want to dive into it.  Makes it much easier to trouble shoot down the road when something happens when you already have gone through it.

On 2/3/2017 at 1:39 AM, Anzac Buick64 said:

Welcome to 39s

The original turn signal  switch from the factory was mounted on the gear shift lever. 39 was the first year Buicks had turn signals from the factory but they were rear signals only in the trunk mounted  buick eight logo. The front fender mounted lights were originally an optional extra and were park lights only but are easy enough to make as yourf ront turn signals. Your are also absent the spark plug cover plate on the engine. If you post engine and chassis numbers here it will be  possible to decode them a bit more. It looks a lovely first buick car. 39s are great pre war cars and there are lots of great and knowlegable people on the forum to help you navigate all the "one year only" and "first time in a buick" features in these cars. Welcome to the buick forums and enjoy the car.

Cheers

Andrew

Anzac Buick64

Thought I read somewhere. Lights required by law on front fenders in states where bright light indicaters were used to warn oncoming drivers of high beams in use. Not as park lights? Maybe someone else knows source info? So, came on when one switched to high beams? Very lovely car! Even though not correct in some aspects, very lucky a car that nice was kept running by whatever means. Bringing back to original can be a curse or a blessing, which depends on the owners perception. I bought my 1939 from LA Craig list. It was not represented as a correct restoration only as refurbished and then sat for 35 years in a single garage size carport. Untold hrs of replacing deteriorated parts. Saving grace for me is CA car with minimal rust. I couldn't afford a concours restored example or an original with extremely low miles, so this was a welcome opportunity for my skill sets. Still hard to afford just in parts. In my opinion, you have to love em' to survive bringing  one back to complete nice original, wether you do it with sweat equity or a very deep checkbook. Hopefully, your able to figure out a satisfactory outcome. The car looks as though it would appeal to a buyer generally on body condition alone. If you decide to go forward, you will prolly find the general consensus is to rely on Dave Tacheny as the main, if not only ,parts source. Best of luck! You found the best info source in these folks!

Edited by Guest
Dim bulb (see edit history)

10 hours ago, CCB said:

Its also got 15" wheels, not 16". I'm not even sure how that was possible.

Series 60 Centuries have 15" wheels. Possibly swapped due to tire availability. 16" not hard to get. Try Dave T

9 hours ago, CCB said:

....It had been with a mechanic for months getting it in driving condition. I finally got it back and I'm learning that there are so many things that are not correct about it, and it isn't working once again. I don't think its getting a spark this time. Whoever had it before me did so many Kluge things to it. It was converted to 12 volt and that was done improperly I think. This has been a very frustrating experience and I'm thinking of just getting rid of it at this point.  

Hang in there. You will have a fine car when sorted. Coupes are very desirable

A 1946 engine is a better engine that '39. Oil pump is 20% bigger.