Wing Window/Glass Alignment

Beemon

I've been ignoring this issue for a while now but it's cold out and there's a draft and a really annoying whistling noise. Since I plan to have the car painted mid February (the company sure does like to take their time printing W2's), I'm wanting to get this taken care of now.

15826638_10155606444915830_777567154561215894895_10155606445155830_478242112390915825888_10155606445330830_1961209392629

Did cars come from the factory like this? Or is this maybe the case of sagging doors? Both? I know there's a window alignment adjuster because I used it when I installed the passenger window. Also I know it doesn't look like it, but the passenger side (third picture) is also offset. Thanks for any help!

Ben,

While I am posting from the body manual of my 1958 Buick for you I can't imagine the process is that much different to your doors/windows. I will caution however the manual goes on to detail specific models of the '58's so getting a Body Manual for yours would definitely be an asset.

1958 Buick - Vent Window Adjustments_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

It is good that you are looking at aligning the windows/vents as mine were bad like yours to the point if someone slammed the door too hard, the passenger window broke on me twice! :o

When I replaced the top at RM Restorations (years ago) they insisted the top worked properly and they would do all the window alignments. Seeing what little I can of the fender / door gap on your car I'll bet with the adjustments things will look better.

DSCN1832 - copy.jpg

Good Luck. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the page, dei! I didn't know if shims would be involved or not in moving it, but if it's an adjustment screw like the window, then I think I might be making a mountain out of a mole hill with this one. I thought it was funny, because I don't remember seeing any shims in there.

• Like 1

Not having done this personally, like buick5563 stated, can imagine it might be a trial and error type adjustment. 

Hoped the scan might at least give you an idea of what to do. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. Let us know how you make out.

I'm sure you will have great satisfaction by doing this yourself. :)

Doug

15825888_10155606445330830_1961209392629

Ben, are you sure the whistling is coming from the door frame to A-pillar joint?  I have experienced a similar 'whistle' on occasion with my '56 Chevy.  Mine is caused by the shrunken & cracked rubber seal around the vent window glass (the window to door frame seal).  From the picture above, I see that yours look a lot like mine, so I suspect that could be the source of your 'whistle' too.  An easy test is to seal the gaps on the outside with duct tape (both the vent window seal and A-pillar gap) and then drive the car at highway speed.  If the noise is gone, then pull the A-pillar tape and drive.  If it's quiet, then pull the vent window tape and drive again.  It should be easy to determine the culprit(s)...

Edited by EmTee
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

There is a pencil sized gap on both doors where the vent window frame is supposed to seal to the car A pillar. I was messing about with a colleague on campus and when he asked for a pencil to borrow, I stuffed it through the driver side gap no problem.... lol

The vent window is perfect where it sits front to back. It's in and out that's the issue. After playing with it for about 2.5 hours today after getting home from work, it is marginally better but still way off IMO. I would like to see a perfectly aligned 54-56 vent window for reference, both in and out.

15894954_10155610607630830_5155078994780

15965364_10155610607505830_1380447913240

15940595_10155610607825830_6995931081277

I think that's the best I'll get it before body mods are made to the mounting. Willie supplied me with some info that was of great help. Unfortunately, all adjustments to bring the vent closer to the center of the car are maxed out, which will require shimming. I was about to remove the vent window again when it started snowing... no wonder I couldn't feel my fingertips lol. Basically there are two in-out adjustments: one at the base of the track at the bottom of the door, and two - at the base of the vent window chrome behind the top door trim. The adjuster at the base of the chrome was already in as far as it could go. I think I can pull the vent in by putting a fender washer behind the top mounting nut. Up and down adjustment was next to nothing, and I set the rotation by matching it to the window frame.

Can't comment on your car in particular but in general I can say that getting all the windows in alignment is a best overall average fit type of thing. Change one adjustment and it affects all the others. Bring a fit in and another goes out.

Best to remove the door panel and trim, put on some music and plan to spend at least an afternoon doing this and that until you get the best average fit in tightness and margins. Don't be surprised if you have to do things like add shims or elongate holes.

When you are done have a beer and give yourself a cigar. You have earned it.....................Bob

• Like 5