Meet "Toby" my 50 Model 51 project

Elpad

If you want to say Hi to Toby, just shake the red hand! Installed the front bumper bracket, I believe is out of the way of the buffer machine. just playing ahead. Told the wife to look out for sharp bracket when going to the washer machine

IMG_4554.jpg

Edited by Elpad (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

The buffer man promised that he will finish sanding and polishing the car next Saturday. Like many delays, this was due to the COVID Pandemic, he does this as a part time job and been working double shift at a hospital where some of his co-workers got the virus and he had to fill in for them.

• Like 1

The never ending story! 
I was promised the car to be finish today. The buffer man said “ I will be there this morning and won’t leave until finished”. Had plans to start assembly tomorrow.

guess what. Due to 87% showers and thunderstorms, the job was delayed one more time without a definite day to complete. It could have been worse! Lost one portable tent after set up work area due to rainwater accumulation. The tent collapsed in top of the trunk. Luckily, no damage from metal structure.
Stubborn Toby back in the garage.

1A8A2249-0B4D-4BA8-9897-7911B3AD9609.jpeg

• Like 3

Will this be the day my 50 gets finally buffed. I’m all set up for the polisher who should be here at 09:00 hours EST. It is now 08:45, Keep tuned, I’ll let you know this PM.

3BA72931-9842-40D6-B19F-49FEC055CA42.jpeg

• Like 4

My man came on to finish the car. A throughout washing to remove compound residues followed by a swirl remover for black paint and a fresh coat of wax. When you slide your hands through the surface, it feels like “ las nalgas de un bebito”

4278D408-0D59-45B7-BA37-C99492B48DF0.jpeg

AD5A540F-BBF6-442C-9DCC-9DC621C305D8.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just had time to install  the headlamps. Since I just retired today 07/31/2020 at 2:00 PM I will hopefully have more time to put Toby together. It will be done at my leisure to really enjoy the hobbies except I just was given the largest honey do list ever.

40ACDB3D-54FF-49A2-A99C-591FF513C282.jpeg

• Like 6

What I’m I missing here? I got this car completely disassembled and it looks that I’m missing some kind of clip or something to hold the tail lenses. The tail lamp door has couple of clips but????? Shop manual does not show me Procedure. They stay loose when trim is attached.

44035C40-7D4E-4B2F-A04D-8C06C44CB15C.jpeg

1C67472B-31F1-473F-8164-2B2ABEEFD1C3.jpeg

6C39BF15-E47E-4AE2-A259-CC096849D2C8.jpeg

Definitely I’m missing something. I think 50, 51 52 are all alike, maybe someone with those model years can check for me. In the meantime, I Installed both rear fender welts and secure the fenders to the body. Rear scripts  and spear moldings were installed as well along with tail lamps housing. Since I removed the “roller” wheels and tires to secure the fenders, I decided to install the new rear tires. Coming along.

4EF9C33C-6D0E-4A40-AAB0-BAFEF4B2A97F.jpeg

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, 1953mack said:

That’s the same schematic found on the shop manual but it does not tells me the lens mounting procedure.

1 hour ago, avgwarhawk said:

Yes, it looks like those clips mount on the protrusions and secure the lense to the metal surround. 

Nope! Not long enough. The only thing I can think is that the rubber gasket is already flat and worn not given that snug fit allowing the clips to secure to the housing. Might have to order new gaskets or bring out the exacto knife and make my own

45 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

Then the question is....what are those clips for?   Unless the clips seen in the kit are what looks to be the same clips on the metal bezel as shown in you picture?   Yes, maybe the red lens is sandwiched between the bezel and sheet metal. 

Got it!

i inverted the worn rubber gasket until I order new ones in the future

F1D98C9F-4ED3-404F-8C53-5D3CC1A7B6FA.jpeg

• Like 4

Would you believe me if I told you that it took me a whole day to install solo the rear bumper, guards and trunk lock and emblem? Trunk will be to be slightly re-adjusted once I install the weather strip

215A7513-DC3C-40BD-A253-737A7F7D745A.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1