Cord

Xander Wildeisen

Standing next to my 36 810 Phaeton it's very low so you might think it's small(compared to similar mid 1930's convertibles, I had a 36 Chrysler convertible at the same time,  but it's actually a big car.  I would say it was equal to or probably even a bit larger than the Chrysler.  As  I said it's just deceiving because it's low,  especially the convertibles with the top down.  I don't think the foot print is a whole lot less than my 47 Hudson Big boy,  Now the 32 Ford I have sitting next to them looks small.   There is alot of metal in front of the windshield on a Cord. 

• Like 1

When Cords were first displayed at the New York Auto show, people were standing on the Chevrolet next to it to view the Cord. If only they didn't have the transmission problems.  

Cord restorers today say, once you get by the transmission it is just a restoration.

• Like 1

I've heard it's an accessory.  Looks to clutter the whole thing up to me.  It's hard to add much of anything to a Cord to make it look better.  Other cars look nice all dolled up.  I had all kinds of accessories on my 48 Chevy Fleetline aerosedan and they all looked great on it.  A cord,  pretty much anything extra seems to take away.  I'm still mixed on Fog lights, though I have a NOS set of Fog Kings and the correct brackets for mine just in case.  They didn't even want the antennae to be seen as they hid it under the car. 

• Like 1

If anyone remembers Nick Lipton from Rochester, NY, he had a Cord convertible in 1966 when the Toronado was introduced. Phil Lanzatella, of Philanz Oldsmobile got Nick to set his Cord on the showroom floor for the debut. The FWD and a whole bunch of styling ques were a big item. And the Cord was only 30 years old, kind of like bringing an '87 whatever into the showroom today.

Nick remained bitter that he never got anything from Phil. When Phil closed up, about ten years ago, I bought a lot of sales items from him. He remembered Nick's car and we searched through all the files trying to find a picture of it with the Toro, no luck.

I have a real problem with this post. It makes me want to buy another copper colored Toronado.

Bernie

2 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I've heard it's an accessory.  Looks to clutter the whole thing up to me.  It's hard to add much of anything to a Cord to make it look better.  Other cars look nice all dolled up.  I had all kinds of accessories on my 48 Chevy Fleetline aerosedan and they all looked great on it.  A cord,  pretty much anything extra seems to take away.  I'm still mixed on Fog lights, though I have a NOS set of Fog Kings and the correct brackets for mine just in case.  They didn't even want the antennae to be seen as they hid it under the car. 

When I was at the Pickle Factory 6/7 years ago Glenn Pray has an original accessory hood ornament on one of the shelves.  I don't think he wanted an outrageous amount but I passed which I slightly regret as I have never seen another before or since.  I would never put it on a car but mounted in the trophy case I think it would be neat.

32 minutes ago, alsancle said:

When I was at the Pickle Factory 6/7 years ago Glenn Pray has an original accessory hood ornament on one of the shelves.  I don't think he wanted an outrageous amount but I passed which I slightly regret as I have never seen another before or since.  I would never put it on a car but mounted in the trophy case I think it would be neat.

I remember we were there at the same time.  Did you happen to get a picture of it?  

Ya know, as we look back thru our lives, the only regrets are the things that we didn't do not what we did do. 

37 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Why was he bitter?

Nick expected a little something in return for participating in Phil's new car promotion. A gift certificate for dinner, lunch, just some token. Thirty years later he was still hacking a hairball over it.

I get in trouble with my accountant all the time for those little recognitions.... mostly 'cause I listen to guys like Nick.

Bernie

1 hour ago, Curti said:

I remember we were there at the same time.  Did you happen to get a picture of it?  

Ya know, as we look back thru our lives, the only regrets are the things that we didn't do not what we did do. 

Curt,  no I didn't take a picture but it is shown in the accessory catalog.  It was in one of those rows of shelves with the "good stuff".  I went back three times to look at it.

20 hours ago, Curti said:

When Cords were first displayed at the New York Auto show, people were standing on the Chevrolet next to it to view the Cord. If only they didn't have the transmission problems.  

Cord restorers today say, once you get by the transmission it is just a restoration.

Well if you think of it.  In today's world it would be no different than parking a new Supercar or say the GT40 Ford when it came out the second time,  next to a Focus.  The 2 just aren't comparable. 

17 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Any regret or slight regret I have are for things I didn't do. I have no regrets for things I did.

One thing I DID that I regret was part out a '61 Studebaker Cruiser in 1979.  Had I know just how rare they are, and their values have increased quite a bit, I now wish I DIDN'T part it out, which I regret!!

Craig

20 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Any regret or slight regret I have are for things I didn't do. I have no regrets for things I did.

Bernie

The regrets that I have for things that I have done, are that people turn a blind eye to what has been brought to light. And the only way for things to get better. Is for a conversation to take place. I do not regret my actions out here, and I will stay true to the comments that I have posted on this forum. A honest conversation needs to take place about the harm being done to small automotive shops and to the people who work in them. This State needs to look into what goes on, it will be for the benefit of the hobby/industry. Sorry if I sound like a broken record on this topic, but I am stunned at what is going on out here. I have devoted myself to this hobby/trade/industry because of a love for classic/custom cars. And if people would just talk about the problems, interest and involvement will increase. So many great things can be done with the cars around here. But people need to cut loose of what has been allowed to go on for so many years.    

On 2/26/2017 at 11:26 AM, 60FlatTop said:

If anyone remembers Nick Lipton from Rochester, NY, he had a Cord convertible in 1966 when the Toronado was introduced. Phil Lanzatella, of Philanz Oldsmobile got Nick to set his Cord on the showroom floor for the debut. The FWD and a whole bunch of styling ques were a big item. And the Cord was only 30 years old, kind of like bringing an '87 whatever into the showroom today.

Bernie

Well... yes and no. The look of a 30-year-old car in 1967 was a LOT greater than the look of a 30-year-old car today. In 1967, if you drove around in a 30-year-old car, you'd stand out like a sore thumb. Today, if you drive around in a 30-year-old car, people hardly notice.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2017 at 11:39 AM, JACK M said:

A little confused Xander.

What has been going on for so many years in Idaho?

In response to the PM that you sent me. Replying to the PM that I sent you. Yes, I do live in Idaho. You can stop by and have a beer any time you drive through this area. And you can call me on the number that I gave you, and I will answer your question. 

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:13 AM, West Peterson said:

Well... yes and no. The look of a 30-year-old car in 1967 was a LOT greater than the look of a 30-year-old car today. In 1967, if you drove around in a 30-year-old car, you'd stand out like a sore thumb. Today, if you drive around in a 30-year-old car, people hardly notice.

I remember when I was a service rep for GM in the 80's if a customer came in with a car that had 100,000 miles on it seemed like everyone would come out to the service department to see it.  Today 200,000, 300,000 mile cars are an every day event.  My truck which is my every day driver and tow vehicle has 276,000 miles.

• Like 1