Repowering a '55 Special

SpecialEducation

I've got a friend with a '55 Special, 4 door post.  She did a bunch of body work on the car and it has fairly fresh paint.  Shortly after getting the body back together, the engine developed a suspicious knock and she took ill.  Now she really needs to sell the car, but knows she won't get much as it looks like it needs a new engine.

There's a '57 engine & transmission for sale locally.  I know the bell housings are different so the 364 won't bolt up to the '55 transmission, but since a '57 Dynaflow is included, I wonder if a '57 torque ball would mate to the '55 torque tube.  

There are a few other snags with this plan (like the '57 has a 4bbl intake, but no carb), but installation itself is the long pole at the moment.  I won't worry about the other things until the installation possibility is worked out.  Thoughts?

Edited by SpecialEducation
More appropriate title... (see edit history)

OK, so poking around on *another* site, I found a couple tidbits.  It looks like the '57 tailshaft is longer.  The '56 & '57 tailshafts seemed to be swappable, but I don't know about '55 & '57... the long pole may be that the motor mounts also changed in '57, and I don't think this donor engine comes with them.

There's also a '56 engine available locally.  Stuck valve, but turns over.  Cheaper, but a much more questionable investment.  '55 heads on the '56 block? :wacko: 

28 minutes ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Are you thinking of fixing to help her sell? or buy for yourself?  If buying for yourself why not rebuild the engine?  or buy this one....  http://kansascity.craigslist.org/pts/5871715604.html

Exploring options right now.  The $200 engine in KC might be worth the drive.  At least the '57 seller seems fairly knowledgeable in what he has, but I know that's not an easy swap. That KC engine may not be any better than what's coming out, but at least it's a 322!  The fact that he 'knows nothing' about it scares me a bit, though.

I'm sick.  I've got a mental issue. That's really the problem, here.

Edited by SpecialEducation (see edit history)
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, SpecialEducation said:

Exploring options right now.  The $200 engine in KC might be worth the drive.  At least the '57 seller seems fairly knowledgeable in what he has, but I know that's not an easy swap. That KC engine may not be any better than what's coming out, but at least it's a 322!  The fact that he 'knows nothing' about it scares me a but, though.

I'm sick.  I've got a mental issue. That's really the problem, here.

I too have an addiction.  LOL I'll have to post an updated photo of my back yard soon.... cars and nailheads under tarps like I'm farming them.....   As for the KC engine, you should buy it anyhow. I'd have already bought and shipped it here were it not Christmas time. 

1 minute ago, Ttotired said:

Not worth saving a heap of mucking around and finding the knock?

Might get away with an "in chassis" rebuild, especially if its still matching numbers

I'm afraid to spend a lot on the engine because it's a 4-door sedan.  I could probably recoup the cost of new bearings and having the crank turned, but I'd have a hard time opening it up and not doing a full-on overhaul.  She's known to do really nice body work (although I have yet to see this one in person), but I'm afraid the demand for the less-cool body style will make it harder to sell.  Perhaps a 322 Century motor would give the cool factor a bump?  If it were a 4-door hardtop, I'd probably keep it myself...

• Like 1

I don't think a 56/7 will swap in to a 55 drive shaft. If I recall correctly, 55 was the last year for a specific torque tube spline and then 56-60 have more teeth on the spline or something. Looks like you either have to do the full drive train front to back or replace/rebuild the engine.

3 hours ago, Ttotired said:

Not worth saving a heap of mucking around and finding the knock?

Might get away with an "in chassis" rebuild, especially if its still matching numbers

I'm with ttotired, keep it simple. If the knock turns out to be serious, keep your eyes open for another good running 264 or 322, they're around. Is this a Dynaflow or 3-speed? 

If the car is in the pic, then Im like a sugar addict in a bakery! '66 401" three twos convert to stick using 364 stick bell bolted to stock '55  6 bolt trans. mod mounts front. Big fun under right foot, stock look! Yeah, got the whole shebang, call with needs! Hee, Hee! Im changing from 2carb40 to trouble maker, dang it!

Edited by Guest
Dimbulb (see edit history)

3 hours ago, SpecialEducation said:

OK, I lied.  It's a 2-door sedan.  That's a little cooler.

Sorry, I haven't seen the car since it went in for paint in 2012...  I'm trying to get some current photos.

26642_10151229810299577_1894399545_n.jpg

PixIMG_20150419_153722.jpg

20160728_202856.jpg

20161106_150703.jpg

Edited by Guest
Dimbulb (see edit history)

If the body work and paint came out pretty good, then why do an "iffy" motor??  I certainly understand "tight money", too, but I also know that a nice looking car that makes inappropriate internal engine sounds makes that possibly $$$$ car into a $ car really quick.  Either way, $$ will be needed.  Getting a $200.00 engine might be a good deal IF it is good internally, BUT how probable is that?  If you put the "might be" motor in there only to find that it's worse than what's now in there, what's been saved? 

FORGET about the "cool factor" and re-aim for the FUN FACTOR.  Make that "Reliable Fun Factor"!

NTX5467

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SpecialEducation said:

OK, I lied.  It's a 2-door sedan.  That's a little cooler.

Sorry, I haven't seen the car since it went in for paint in 2012...  I'm trying to get some current photos.

26642_10151229810299577_1894399545_n.jpg

A couple more options.IMG_20160427_142037.jpg

IMG_20151022_184624.jpg

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

1 hour ago, NTX5467 said:

If the body work and paint came out pretty good, then why do an "iffy" motor??  I certainly understand "tight money", too, but I also know that a nice looking car that makes inappropriate internal engine sounds makes that possibly $$$$ car into a $ car really quick.  Either way, $$ will be needed.  Getting a $200.00 engine might be a good deal IF it is good internally, BUT how probable is that?

Exactly.  I believe that '57 motor to be in decent enough condition to drop it in as is, but I wouldn't try it with any other option I've seen.  If I were to spend the effort & money to go through a motor, I would be more inclined to drop the extra $200 to give it an upgrade and include the original engine loose in the sale. 

That, and I've got a set of '57 hubcaps that would look way better...

19 hours ago, SpecialEducation said:

There's also a '56 engine available locally.  Stuck valve, but turns over.  Cheaper, but a much more questionable investment.  '55 heads on the '56 block? :wacko: 

55 heads will work and you will end up with higher compression than the 56 engine.  There may be interference if the 0.015 head gaskets (vs 0.035 gaskets) are used, so more work to check out.

Make an offer on the car based on market value minus cost of an engine rebuild.  If the knock is something simple, then you made out like a bandit or....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ttotired said:

Wow, I hate reading how "worthless" a 4 DOOR is

Who said "worthless"?  Simple facts are that hardtops are more desirable, and 2-doors are more desirable. 

Personally, I'd prefer a 4-door hardtop over a 2-door sedan, but not everyone sees it that way. 

The point is that when contemplating repair to sell, or sell as-is, the body style is a factor of the car's sellability. Yes, some buyers like the post cars because they are quieter, but those buyers aren't as plentiful as the Riviera buyers. 

Just being realistic. 

• Like 1

Rather than "worthless", think "High Value" as it's the same car, just less money to get it.  That makes "the fun" less expensive, too.

I also remember the old comments about a sedan having less rattles than a hardtop would, back then.  The hardtops did look better, but everybody knew they'd rattle more, whether from a little more body flex or different body harmonics making lack-a-daisically tightened fasteners loosen by themselves.

NTX5467

• Like 1

Crawling into the back seat of a 2-door car, back when WE and THE CAR were newer, was not that big of a deal.  Now, it can be a different story that can make a 4-door more desirable . . . price books be danged.

Oh . . . don't forget about color combinations, either, as a "desirability" factor.

NTX5467

• Like 1