55 carter wcfb rebuild vendors

56buickinga

Buy a kit from the Carb King who participates in the Forum and do it yourself. The WCFB is a pretty straight forward carburetor and you should be satisfied with the results. It will also give you a chance to buy a few tools to keep forever. Press in feet or a carb work stand are good to have. And an assortment of hairpin clips. I like the ones that angle out a little.

Just in case, and I am sure the Carb King will agree, buy two kits just in case your learning curve has a hiccup. It's worth it.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Absent the desire to purchase the cast metal carb "stand", you can probably make one with a length of 1x8 lumber and some screw-in studs and nuts (maybe even some larger diameter flat washers), using the carb base gasket as a bolt-hole pattern.  The flat wood can provide a more stable platform, IF you have the space to use it.  Plus, you can paint or varnish it to taste, maybe add a Tri-Shield emblem?

The carb stands are a great advance in carb work, but need to have a pretty flat surface upon which to work, by observation.  Perhaps just adding the wood, with holes for the unused base pins can be an enhancement?

NTX5467

I have a set of Snap On legs that push in and are held with a detent button like a socket extension.

These were on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-Stand-Offs-/120992278652?hash=item1c2bb3a87c:m:mAzLl-c9laWeBdLBP_xcqQw&item=120992278652&vxp=mtr

I was going to buy a set but then the auction wouldn't be there for you to see so I'll wait a couple days.

This kind of stuff really makes things easy.

I have a small folding Singer sewing machine table that I use for carbs. It has a rectangular recess to set the machine in. It is convenient to work in and keeps parts from rolling away and hiding.

Bernie

I bought one of the cast holders, years ago.  It works well, but can be a little rickety on an uneven surface.  Still good to get the carb off of the bench for various checks and adjustments.

Thanks for that link!  For $4 more, they can be "red"!  I think I figured out how to make them with long sockets, longer bolts, and some JBWeld.  Plus some felt dots.  Pretty nice as they are, though!

NTX5467

Don Monroe, a BCA member from Washington state, advertises in the Buick Bugle that he rebuilds Buick carburetors, 1955 and up, for $250 plus shipping. I think he does a respectable job because he is a long-time advertiser and I've never heard any complaints about his services.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

20 hours ago, NTX5467 said:

I bought one of the cast holders, years ago.  It works well, but can be a little rickety on an uneven surface.  Still good to get the carb off of the bench for various checks and adjustments.

Thanks for that link!  For $4 more, they can be "red"!  I think I figured out how to make them with long sockets, longer bolts, and some JBWeld.  Plus some felt dots.  Pretty nice as they are, though!

NTX5467

I too bought a carb stand and was not that impressed with it.  It fit, sort of, but was not that stable.  I like those carb legs and $17.95 seems to be a fair price.

You can easily make a stand for any carburetor. I actually prefer the stands I make to the commercially available ones.

Materials for a 4 bolt mounting flange:

(1) piece of 3/4 inch plywood approximately 8 x 8 inches

(4) flat head bolts 1/4 x 20 x 4 inches

(12) 1/4 x 20 hex nuts

(4) 1/2 flat washers

Use the mounting gasket as a pattern to drill 4 quarter inch holes in the plywood. Use a countersink to countersink the holes on the bottom side. Insert the 4 bolts, and secure each bolt with a flat washer and hex nut. With the countersunk holes, the stand will sit flat on your bench. You can now use 4 of the remaining nuts to built an elevated platform, with approximately 3/4 inch of thread above the nut. Now set the carburetor onto the nuts on the bolts, and secure using the other 4 nuts.

With the carb secured to the stand, you can pick it up WITHOUT the *&^%$#@ legs falling off, which happens with all of the commercial stands I have ever used.

When not in use rebuilding a carb, you can use the stand for storing a carb, and not have to worry about the throttle arm which often extends below the flange acquiring damage.

And while the 8 x 8 may be wider than necessary, the larger base provides extra stability. Wood other than plywood may be used, but my experience has been a chuck of 1 x 8 will warp over time whereas the plywood doen't warp. Maybe if you live in a drier climate than Missouri ;)

EDIT - Willis, somehow I skipped over your post, which essentially is the same as this one.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)

I like the press in feet from Snap On best. I have had a few of the commercial cast stands and didn't like them. All I want to do it get it to set level and be able to open the throttle plates easily. The real point is, do it yourself and buy some tools.

Now that everyone has seen the Ebay set and given their critique I will order set and probably use them in pretty short order. Thanks for bringing the topic up. I wouldn't have found them otherwise. Oh, cutting a piece of plywood? I only have mechanic's tools.

But I did get a picture of my official carburetor work table. I have been using it since the late 1980's. It folds up and stores against the wall, is just the right height, and has a neat sunken section to keep check balls and all those scurrying parts under control.

002.JPG003.JPG

I've done a lot of work on that little table.

Bernie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, First Born said:

Dang, Bernie, your wife was wondering where her sewing machine table was!!  You are in trouble if she ses this.

Ben

I'm sure Bernie keeps her in stitches even without the table!  ;)