1940 320 cu in starter

kgreen

Someone once told me that 1937 through 1952 will work, but I'm not certain.

Just yesterday an oldtimer mentioned that, while both may have had a 320ci, a Super and Roadmaster in some years had differing internals (2 vs 4 Field Coils?)

Hopefully an expert will add some advice here.

15 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Someone once told me that 1937 through 1952 will work, but I'm not certain.

Just yesterday an oldtimer mentioned that, while both may have had a 320ci, a Super and Roadmaster in some years had differing internals (2 vs 4 Field Coils?)

Hopefully an expert will add some advice here.

Super NEVER had a 320. Only Roadmaster and Century, to my knowledge.

Ben

23 hours ago, sixseven said:

What years of starter will work on this engine?  I'm looking for compatibility with other years for a spare starter.  I understand that if I keep a spare in the trunk the original unit will never fail!

My parts book lists the following

Grp 2.041 MOTOR, CRANKING

Part No 1107908  - 1939 - 60 - 80 - 90 :  1940 - 60 - 70 - 80 - 90 : 1941 - 60 - 70

It seems you are restricted to a starter motor from these years.

I believe Marty's old timer is right about the 2 V's 4 field coils. In some instances ( have heard of 1937 ) the starter motors from a 40 Series ( small engine ) will physically fit the larger  Series engines but lack the power to turn the motor sufficiently for start up. 

4 minutes ago, 50jetback said:

My parts book lists the following

Grp 2.041 MOTOR, CRANKING

Part No 1107908  - 1939 - 60 - 80 - 90 :  1940 - 60 - 70 - 80 - 90 : 1941 - 60 - 70

It seems you are restricted to a starter motor from these years.

I believe Marty's old timer is right about the 2 V's 4 field coils. In some instances ( have heard of 1937 ) the starter motors from a 40 Series ( small engine ) will physically fit the larger  Series engines but lack the power to turn the motor sufficiently for start up. 

Thanks 50JB!.  I'm not looking at the two starters, but aside from the part number, I wonder if the 2 vs 4 field coil is a good identifier then I could count the phillips screws on the case.  Again, I appreciate your help.  Ken

37 minutes ago, sixseven said:

Thanks 50JB!.  I'm not looking at the two starters, but aside from the part number, I wonder if the 2 vs 4 field coil is a good identifier then I could count the phillips screws on the case.  Again, I appreciate your help.  Ken

What is the number on the Delco tag on your starter motor?

8 minutes ago, 50jetback said:

What is the number on the Delco tag on your starter motor?

I don't have the car in front of me yet so I can't tell you what I have.  My goal is to acquire a second starter for rebuild as a spare part for a driver.  I can share this number in a week or so when the car is in my garage.

On 11/20/2016 at 6:18 PM, Daves1940Buick56S said:

Marty:

Supers had the 248/263. Maybe you are thinking of the Century?

Cheers, Dave

You are correct, but what he MEANT to tell me was that he used a Roadmaster starter on a Super for the Four vs Two Field Coils, and got much better performance from the starter - sorry for the confusion