1949 Roadmaster 4-door Custom - Carson Top

Dan O

I saw this car on Craigslist and it's something I have never seen before - a four door with a Carson top.  I think it looks pretty cool!  It certainly needs interior and engine bay attention but I like the exterior.  It's not my car nor do I have any more info on it other than it is in Mexia, Texas (the birthplace of Anna Nicole Smith, RIP).

http://waco.craigslist.org/cto/5787450123.html

Mexia Custom.jpg

• Like 1

That's not really the traditional Carson top. I think it is more the Conestoga style. I wonder if he parked the car when he started construction on that building in the background

Why do these Craigslist sellers post so many pictures of cars sunk into the ground. The foot paths (not mower paths) show someone walked around it. How hard would it be to hook a chain on it and drag it 3 feet before they took the picture?

I did add the picture to my "Sunk In" folder. Texas, huh. A few more of those and we might have to call it The Lone Car State.

Bernie

• Like 1

I kept looking at that engine, I looked at the valve covers, counted the bolts, looked at the shape, but didn't recognize it.

Chrysler, well, I feel quite blessed that I didn't know what it was. Not recognizing a Chrysler part gives pause to appreciate the little things in life that go unnoticed.

I bet that Caddy steering column is attached to a Volare steering box.

• Like 5

On 10/27/2016 at 10:50 AM, 60FlatTop said:

That's not really the traditional Carson top. I think it is more the Conestoga style. I wonder if he parked the car when he started construction on that building in the background

Why do these Craigslist sellers post so many pictures of cars sunk into the ground. The foot paths (not mower paths) show someone walked around it. How hard would it be to hook a chain on it and drag it 3 feet before they took the picture?

I did add the picture to my "Sunk In" folder. Texas, huh. A few more of those and we might have to call it The Lone Car State.

Bernie

It might not be in one piece after being drug across the yard. Especially years after someone hacked off the roof

On 10/27/2016 at 4:57 PM, 60FlatTop said:

I kept looking at that engine, I looked at the valve covers, counted the bolts, looked at the shape, but didn't recognize it.

Chrysler, well, I feel quite blessed that I didn't know what it was. Not recognizing a Chrysler part gives pause to appreciate the little things in life that go unnoticed.

I bet that Caddy steering column is attached to a Volare steering box.

The valve cover breather, color and alternator told me Chrysler , right away. 

I spent all day trying to find a 16" rim 6 on 4-1/2" bolt pattern for my Durango.

Continue to count your blessings,

I have sold worse cars. And I have described them as being in worse condition; even used a term like "very rough". If it is an online sales the buyers will send a flood of emails asking if I will take less. It happens on smaller Ebay items as well. Then the get it and write back saying "I didn't think it would be that bad" or "I thought it would be better." The ONLY question they asked was "Will you take less."  I wonder if I should write "very, very rough" instead of one "very".

That car and every one in the range of low value condition needs 300 $100 jobs done to it. Plus parking space for a minimum of two cars for a long period of time. That's a big commitment to a car that has been subjectively screwed up and a real bear to restore objectively. And subjective or objective are the words left out too often.

Bernie