'63 / '64 Riviera "Tow Vehicle"

Silverarrow

That guy, ladies and gentlemen, is what we commonly refer to as The Man. He's got it going on!

I wonder which GTO that is and when that photo was taken? Amazing! Thanks for sharing!

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Agree that's a bada_ _ picture. It never ceases to amaze me how cars from the 50s and 60s were used as tow vehicles. Some of the old pics towing big travel trailers were a sign of the times. Obviously back then and more importantly, driver common sense came into play unlike todays cars/trucks where tow specifications and laws are more clearly defined in an attempt to account for lack of common sense or physics knowledge when towing.

Unlikely that trailer in pic had brakes and we know the tow vehicle has drum brakes with a single reservoir master cylinder. Pic kinda looks like the CA coast.

• Like 1

...and continuing this "Tow" Theme:

"It's late 1962 and Bev Spencer has 'borrowed' Laguna Seca Raceway for some track time with 0666 and his most recent acquisition, the ex-Cunningham Maserati 151 Le Mans coupe. A Buick dealer in San Francisco, Spencer uses a very early new 1963 Riviera as the tow vehicle. This would begin a tradition that would continue with the race cars."   WORDS & PHOTO FROM MERCEDESHERITAGE.COM WEB SITE.

Watermarked-Riviera-and-TR-0666-copy.jpg

Edited by Silverarrow (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Well, I didn't ever use a Riv as a tow car, but in 1968 I owned a new Cougar GT-E 427 side oiler car.

A neighbor and I started a part time sod laying business, and the GT-E was my tow piece.  We took a 3/4 ton truck bed and axle assembly and made it our sod hauling piece.  

Less than 400 Cougars were made with the 427 side oiler, and one sold at BJ for $182,000.00 5 years ago.  You never see one offered for sale. Mine was BLACK CHERRY with the same interior.

Dale in Indy

P.S.  In the late 40's we went to a ton of Midget car races, I always loved seeing so many of them on single axle open trailers, what a cool site.  Lots of them with V-60's engines, and the rich guys with Offy's.

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)

My family used to tow the family ski boat with our new 65 riviera all the time. We had a trailer hitch put on

it when it was brand new. They make great tow vehicles with all the torque of the nailhead engines. I also towed the same boat with my 69 GTO convertible when I was in college. It too was a great tow vehicle.  I still have the GTO, but I don't use it for towing these days!........  Be sure you scroll down for a pic of the Riviera's available hitch over the counter from

the Buick dealer's parts  department.  (The trailer ball has been removed in this pic. We kept it off except when towing as it made it harder to fill the car with gas with the ball in place.)

SAVE0007.JPG

SAVE0004.JPG

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I just took the hitch off my '63 Electra a couple of years ago. ;)  That thing hauled trailers all over the eastern half of the US.

I used a '70 Delta 88 as a tow vehicle for years.  Set cruise on 70 and it never missed a beat hauling a 5x8 trailer packed to the gills, even going through the Appalachians (e.g. the long climb on 77 near Fancy Gap, VA).

I don't have any pictures but when I bought my 63 Riviera back in 82, I removed a full hitch reciever, and an electric trailer brake set up from it.  The PO pulled a rather large Airstream trailer with it.  I left the auxiliary Trans cooler and factory air shocks on it..  I ran it for a while, when gas was cheaper, with the 3.91 rear gear set.  He had it installed at the same time he had a valve job done; apparently too much low rpm lug on the engine.  

He apparently thought it was good for towing.  That was the only time that he drove it.  It sat in a garage the rest of the time (that's when the two trumpet horns from the four note horns were stolen off of it.)  I think he had a smaller 62 or 63 Special that was his daily driver.

He told me he bought a Buick for the torque of the nailhead and the Riviera for the styling and comfort.  The Riviera is fully equipped except for a rear window defroster; apparently those weren't needed in the summer when they'd go on vacation.  He sold it in 82 when his father died.  He kept his dad's 64 Riviera for sentimental reasons. I think I got the better of the two cars; the 64 wasn't as well optioned.

Ed

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silverarrow said:

It's obvious not just a hack-job conversion. A lot of thought and craftsmanship went into the little details. Like the "Tonneau Cover" snap on the sides.  Bet this thing looked sweet when new.

Concur.

This would be an amusing addition to anyone's collection, if only the buy-in weren't so high.

You have to be a little careful about those customizers. Back in '03 I bought a new S-10 with a V6 and trimmed out pretty good. I stopped in the dealership one day and was leaning on the box telling lies to the sales manager, another car guy.

I got ready to climb back in and he said "By the way, I didn't sell you no Pontiac."

SilverStreak.jpg 

Sometimes you wonder about the real story behind these old pictures.

Bernie