Is this a airplane hood ornament?

Mark Huston

I have been told, by my mother, that his is the airplane hood ornament that my grandfather had on one of his cars.  My grandfather was born in 1889 and died in 1938, Canton, Ohio.  My grandfather was a WW1 veteran who was an engineer and a successful businessman.  I don't know what car, or year, this may have been used by him.  Is this a child's toy or could it have been used on a car?   It is in poor condition and looks to have been made of pot metal.  

Airplane hood ornament 1.JPG

Airplane hood ornament 2.JPG

Airplane hood ornament 3.JPG

Airplane hood ornament 4.JPG

Yes, it is a radiator cap/hood ornament. It is similar to this one in a book that I have....according to the book, it was illuminated....

It is an aftermarket piece and not meant for any particular car/truck.

Picture 22290.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Being a "wing nut" (aviation enthusiast), I think that's one of the coolest radiator caps/hood ornaments I've ever seen.  I can imagine what it would look like, cruising down some country road at night with the propeller spinning and the cabin lights lit.  Of course, in the name of safety and night vision, the cabin lights would have to be muted and red in color;).

Mark,

What are your plans for it?  Do you plan to restore it or display it "as is"?

Cheers,

Grog

Though not intended as an automotive ornament, I thoughtMVC-345S.JPG thought viewers would like seeing this period piece Lindbergh commemorative item that I discovered at a yard sale.  It is captioned "Spirit of the Times" and de-bossed on the base is "Compliments of Manhattan Aero Club Inc.  May 19, 1928", (one day short of a year after the Spirit of St. Louis took off).  The base is made of one of the "yellow" durable metals, but the airplane itself is of an unstable deteriorating die cast metal.  One elevator is gone, as is a wing tip and the propeller. I would like to preserve it from further decomposition, any suggestions as to how best to do so would be appreciated.   Thanks, Dave

Edited by Dave Henderson (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, 28 Chrysler said:

These were popular after the Lindbergh flight.

I don't think all versions were illuminated, I kind of remember seeing a smaller one on a Ford T.

There were MANY styles and types of the airplane ornaments.

21 hours ago, capngrog said:

Mark,

What are your plans for it?  Do you plan to restore it or display it "as is"?

Cheers,

Grog

The airplane hood ornament has resided in an old family trunk (used by the family since the 1840s) since my grandfather had it.  I will be placing it back in the trunk for a another generation to discover buried in the old trunk with other family treasures.  Other than that, don't know what else to do with it.  Selling is out of the question.  

That looks like a 1952 Crosley station wagon.  The propeller was stock.  My Dad was a Crosley dealer, and at eight years old, I thought that nothing was cooler than the spinning propeller on the front of the Crosleys.

Cheers,

Grog

I have two of the first pictured airplane cap . I found them in a junk yard many years ago . one is pretty complete the other is not  . Been seating on a shelf .  Kings32

• 2 years later...

This looks to me like one of the Lockheed planes so popular back in the 20's or 30's.  The Spirit had squared off wings.  The Lockheed Vega had wing nearly identical to this hood ornament and a bigger engine and more windows.  There were a ton of records being broken or at least people attempted to break in planes.

Wiley Post and Amelia Earhart flew them, among others.  Post set an around the world or coast-to-coast record in one and Amelia I think did her solo piloting flight across the Atlantic in one.  Not positive though.  Here is a well known one... the Winnie Mae.  I believe this was a Wiley Post plane.  However the nose is less like the ornament.

Image result for lockheed vega

Here's one with the cylinders uncovered.

Related image

Peace,

James