55 Buick A.C. question

Kosage Chavis

1 hour ago, wndsofchng06 said:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/322239166560?_mwBanner=1

Look in the text of his ad, contact info and says he has the pulleys!

Yeah...i actually talked to this guy a couple times already before he posted these items.  It's exactly the last of the things I need.  These parts come off of a Century which makes the scoops and ducts a perfect fit.  But sadly, he is asking something that is just completely unrealistic.  What's even worse is that he wouldn't even negotiate with me.  Don't know if he will ever sell these items.  He still has the same evaporator box on eBay for 700 (shipping not included).   It's been on there for months, but still will not adjust the price to something more reasonable.  Guy lives in Ohio.  I do appreciate looking out for me on these items Matt.  Unless this guy has an apipheny, I will have to just be patient.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kosage Chavis said:

Yeah...i actually talked to this guy a couple times already before he posted these items.  It's exactly the last of the things I need.  These parts come off of a Century which makes the scoops and ducts a perfect fit.  But sadly, he is asking something that is just completely unrealistic.  What's even worse is that he wouldn't even negotiate with me.  Don't know if he will ever sell these items.  He still has the same evaporator box on eBay for 700 (shipping not included).   It's been on there for months, but still will not adjust the price to something more reasonable.  Guy lives in Ohio.  I do appreciate looking out for me on these items Matt.  Unless this guy has an apipheny, I will have to just be patient.

Funny you should mention this as I also had talked to the guy a bit at the beginning of the summer. He wanted about $750 for the pulleys if memory serves me right. For that price, I can live without AC lol.

18 minutes ago, Kosage Chavis said:

Another question...are there any differences between the A.C. generators from a 55 Buick versus a 56 Buick?  Is one better than the other?  The only difference I can make out by just looking over them are the fan blade design.  Thank you.

Both will work.

1102005 = 53 to early 56; 30 amp

1102061 = late 56; 35 amp

30 amp regulators are all that are available and that is what controls the current no matter what the generator output is.  30 amp is adequate unless using high blower on the a/c and driving at night in town with the high beams on.

3 hours ago, old-tank said:

Both will work.

1102005 = 53 to early 56; 30 amp

1102061 = late 56; 35 amp

30 amp regulators are all that are available and that is what controls the current no matter what the generator output is.  30 amp is adequate unless using high blower on the a/c and driving at night in town with the high beams on.

What does it mean when neither of those numbers aren't on my generator?  Mine reads 1102053.20160807_123932.jpg

5 hours ago, Kosage Chavis said:

Would this be the car you speak of?DSC09372.JPG

I don't think so, hard to keep them straight.  There were a few, and I wasn't paying much attention.  At least one or two had factory AC, and another one or two with aftermarket, which you can imagine was popular in that region!

On 8/26/2016 at 5:14 PM, Fr. Buick said:

By the way, it was 105 and high noon when I was in the yard for a look around.

Called up there today.  They said that there was nothing.  Either they sold it or didn't even bother to look in the first place.  But thanks again for looking for me.

1 hour ago, Fr. Buick said:

No, there is stuff.  A factory compressor, vent tubes and intake grills in a trunk.

You might think of making a quick weekend trip...

There would be no way that I could make that trip.  I live too far here in Newport News, VA.  Do you know the type of Buick you saw?  Did you see any other parts?  Need the following:

Both 3 groove pulleys

Resistor 

Scoop Assembly (from Century or Special)

Need to verify the Clear ducts you saw if they fit a Century/Special.

Do you live close by?

No promises here, but given the current dimensions and distances from groove to groove, I could probably mock up a few drawings and send it off to the manufacturing department at the college. Classes don't begin until the 19th and I don't know how long of a lead time there will be, but if someone wants to grab some dimensions of the alternator pulley size, that's the only thing I'm uncertain of (I'm pretty sure it's smaller than the standard pulley since the AC generators use the same brushes, field coils and armature as the non-AC generator). It could be a shot in the dark, but I'm interested in having a set myself.

7 hours ago, buick5563 said:

If it comes down to making em yourself, just buy a new set from Russ Martin. They are billet aluminum and not original, but they work.

I had no idea he made v-belt pulleys. Is it just the crank and water pump or the generator and power steering as well? 

• 2 weeks later...

Is there anyone that can tell me how many different variations there are of the AC rear dash clear ducts?  

I found someone who is willing to sell a set.  Their set comes from a 55 buick special, 4 door sedan.  My car is a 55 century, 2 door hardtop.  I don't want to spend money on a set that will not fit.  I have already made that mistake once.  Thank you for any info.

Edited by Kosage Chavis (see edit history)

Is it even possible to modify the original taller ducts from a 55 buick 4 door sedan (pictured below)?  I really would hate to go that route, but i wonder what the chances of me finding someone who is willing to sell their ducts that will fit a 55 buick 2 door hardtop. 162195022121_1.jpg

Edited by Kosage Chavis (see edit history)

On 8/16/2016 at 7:02 PM, Kosage Chavis said:

I do have a pair of air duct tubes, but they fit on the Super/Roadmaster.  I need the ones that fit the Century/Special.  I do like the 56 A.C. systems better than the 55 because that system seemed to be more simplified and was moved to the front.  However, the 55 system is very unique and adds character to the car in my opinion.  I believe sooner or later, I will find those pulleys.  Just got to be patient.  Thank you.

The early nailheads created multiple pullies by "stacking" single pullies with shortened aluminum spacers cut down to 11/16" from the one that places the fan closer to the radiator on the water pump. One double fan pulley for PS and one 11/16" aluminum spacer and one single fan pulley, three belt pulley on the cheap! Bottom pulley somewhat same, although spacers are born not made, so to speak. Early pullies again built up from singles on crank with aluminum spacers, but Buick manufactured them specifically for those crank pulley makeups, one two or three single pullies with aluminum spacers, cept' '53 they used cast iron solid three belts early went to balancers "after jobs" which I believe was their word for replacement parts. Details in one of my Buick service bulletin books with pix of different pulleys in "exploded" part pix. Let me know if you need pix and I can photo the page if it helps make sense of what I just wrote. It will prolley be faster to get A/C system working with those pullies than waiting for "hens teeth" originals! Good luck, nonetheless! PS don't cut the end of the aluminum fan spacer with the alignment plug sticking out, you will need that on all spacers! Easier to drill the hole back in the other end if needed.

On 8/29/2016 at 9:24 PM, Kosage Chavis said:

Called up there today.  They said that there was nothing.  Either they sold it or didn't even bother to look in the first place.  But thanks again for looking for me.

1955 Buick service bulletin book available now as reprint. I consider it a must have for all  mid fifties owners. Not just for 1955 owners, much is applicable to all the 322 cars of mid fifties! Service manuals were printed before cars were in customer hands, then the real tests began! These service bulletin  manuals tell about  the fixes that happened down the line during the year of driving em and some from earlier years as well.

Mr Greg, thank you so much for those visuals.  Getting these pulleys to supplement my system makes this so much easier.  I will definitely look into the possibility of using the earlier pulley setup.  Also, I will repost those pictures for anyone who is interested.  Thanks again20160915_084310.jpgIMG_20160914_130354.thumb.jpg.7f61c25083639d4fa70c57401d77eeb5.jpg20160915_070300.jpgIMG_20160914_130325.thumb.jpg.aa915cfc2431840978bbc37043575b4d.jpg

Kosage, got your email, will look through my box of pulley's and spacers and see what I have.

Also, I have an original copy of the PSB's as well as a Product School Manual, a 1956 Buick Wholesale Parts Guide and even a 55 shop condition Shop Manual I'll bundle to you, all for $75 plus the ride. If you still need an original AC Manual, add another $15. Cell phone pics to follow

• Like 1