What fire extinguisher to buy?

RansomEli

Fire extinguishers are sold more by type than brand and depending how old the car is you might want to have a water and a chemical. Water is better for putting out a hot wood spoke wheel and an ABC dry chemical does everything. Amazon sells the Shield for car and auto, not going to recommend the brand as much as the type and construction, might not be the best looking but you do get your monies worth in quality.   

You can get the home type of dry powder and replace it every few years, or you can get commercial quality and have it filled and tested every few years. The commercial type still have a metal nozzle and they are less likely to break open and a good metal strap helps to keep them in place.

A couple of old dish washing liquid bottles with the pull op nose make good portable water extinguishers for those small things that happen with would and upholstery and the sport type water bottles can serve a dual purpose. Dry powder will make a mess and if you get the ABC they will put out everything that burns. Better to have a small extinguisher handy than a big one hidden away that you can't get to while the fire is still small.

In addition to the chemical type any comment about brands?  Someone in (I think) Skinned Knuckles magazine recently said that one should avoid homeowner brands like Kidde and First Alert and seek out Amerex.  They correctly pointed out that the big box stores sell Kidde but if you look at THEIR fire extinguishers on the wall they are always Amerex.  Does the shelf life apply to all kinds?  I have some that have been sitting around for years and know I should upgrade, will be interested in any feedback, Todd C   

Not really an expert on fire extinguishers, over the years that I was a volunteer fireman I did put out about 40 or 50 stand alone car fires and fire on the side of the road is different than fire in a garage. Halon is a gas, it extinguishes by displacing oxygen, a gentle breeze will displace the halon and replace the oxygen. If you have a dash fire a little halon under the dash is clean and efficient, but you better remove the cause of the fire or it will be back as soon as the halon dissipates. Do that with any fire, less time to play with halon. Great for a small carb fire if you don't have a lot of wind, Dry powder smothers and CO2 cools to below ignition point, they all have their best uses.

I suggest two types of extinguishment and that they be the best for the worst case use. Not knowing if your car is all steel or wood wrapped I also suggest a trip to your local fire station. Even the best extinguisher is useless if you don't know how to use it.

• Like 2

"Because Halon is a CFC, the production of Halon ceased on January 1, 1994, under the Clean Air Act. There is no cost-effective means of safely and effectively disposing of the Halon that has already been produced, therefore recycling and reusing the existing supply intelligently and responsibly to protect lives and property is the best solution.

The EPA recognizes that that Halon remains the most effective "clean" extinguishing agent available, despite its ozone depleting potential, and there are no federal or state regulations prohibiting the buying, selling or use of Halon extinguishers. All Halon available now is recycled so it is an environmentally responsible choice."

This came from a site I quickly looked at as I know we use to recommend Halon.  A few years ago it became difficult to buy new product with Halon (for small extinquishers).   

Yes , Steve. That is what I was told by Western Fire and Safety Co. in Seattle. Halotron is now safe state of the art. Mine is an Amerex. No , they are not cheap. I just wanted the best. I like to have the best whatever , and so I seek out experts , as I am not one. I also like to carry a large dry powder extinguisher in the car for messy backup in case things have got to that level. At home , kitchen and shop , I use CO2 extinguishers which weigh almost 40 pounds. A pail of water standing by is also an effective backup , or a first line option in some cases. Amerex is located in Trussville , AL.  205-655-3271  Made in U.S.A.  - Carl

Amerex Halotron I “Clean Agent” Fire Extinguishers

Amerex Halotron fire extinguishers are intended for use in areas formerly protected by Halon 1211 hand portable extinguishers such as computer rooms, telecommunications facilities, clean rooms, data storage areas, offices (for protection of sensitive electronic equipment), boats and vehicles.

http://www.amerexfireextinguishers.com/html/halotron_fire_extinguishers.html

http://amerex-fire.com/products/halotron-i-clean-agent-extinguishers/

http://amerex-fire.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/14425-Manual-for-Halotron-I-Portable-Extinguishers.pdf

Model A384T Fire Extinguisher includes Vehicle Bracket

1.4 lb Model A384T, Halotron 1,  $155.50 each

1.4 lb Model A384T, Halotron 1,  Case of 4 $286.40

1.4 lb Model A384T, Halotron 1,  Case of 10 $699

Model B385TS Fire Extinguisher includes Vehicle Bracket

2.5 lb Model B385TS, Halotron 1, $165.50 each

2.5 lb Model B385TS, Halotron 1, Case of 10 $725.50

5 lb Model B386T, Halotron 1,  $205 each

(Note they are much cheaper by the dozen!)

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)

My Two Cents:

I'm on our local fire department and I like my very inexpensive dry chemical ABC extinguisher ($35) to travel in my car.  They work extremely well and make a huge mess but the dry chem stuff does vacuum/wash off.  If you have a fire, the mess of the extinguisher is small compared to the devastation of a fire, even a small one.  In my garage, I have a huge CO2 so when my torch catches the shock bushings on fire I can put them out without a lot of clean up BUT I also have a large dry chemical in case I can't control it with the CO2.

My philosophy is to spend my money on something I can enjoy.  The dry chem will do all the halotron will and more (yes, including more mess) but I don't have fires very often so I don't really worry about having a "clean extinguisher" to put out a messy fire. I can see spending the money on a halotron in an expensive electronics environment where the dry chem material would destroy all the electronics.  I know you could say that the dry chem would destroy the upholstery in a car but it does clean up.

Scott 

• Like 3