65 rivi front grille

Guest Buickitas

Guest Buickitas

Hi all,my name is kevin and i am new here,but i love buicks.I am currently reserecting a 65 401.I dont know if the inside of the grille is silver or black,thanks for the advice.Kevin

I believe the best match to original is Argent Silver with a chrome front lip, the real Riviera pro's will know for sure

There are a few threads about the grille and other accent paints around the car if you search by the part name

They were originally argent silver, (...Krylon Dull Alluminum #1403 is as close as you can get), or for a mild custom look you can paint them black, as pictured above - the black paint highlights the chrome front faces of the horizontal grill bars, and makes them 'float' in the opening. They were painted 'argent silver' from the factory.

• Like 1

The appearance of any detailed part of your car depends on what you want to do with it.  If you want to restore it, you need to find out what was original and do the best you can to replicate it.  If your intent is to make it fit your idea of what looks good in your eyes, then you should feel free to do that as well; it's your car.  

The argent silver rally wheel paint that is sold by Eastwood is a perfect match to the original grille paint  on a 65. I did

touch ups on my original grille and the match is so close as to be undetectable. The leading edge of the grille bars should be chrome, all else is painted argent silver, including the top of the grill, the part you see when you open the hood.......DSCN0101.JPG

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Guest Buickitas
17 hours ago, alini said:

I believe the best match to original is Argent Silver with a chrome front lip, the real Riviera pro's will know for sure

There are a few threads about the grille and other accent paints around the car if you search by the part name

Guest Buickitas

Thanks,guys/gals.I am reserecting this 65 for my father as he is not able to do it himself.This is where i am at with the car.I jave kept it a body on as this has been a california car its hole life.Alletal wrk is done,bodywork and 80%of the paint wrk.I still have the hood and door skins to paint.For those interested in what i used for the paint i went with a waterborne bace coat,Db403toner only it is the blackest toner in the world so black almost looks crome with Glassorit 923-200 top coat.My goal for him is to make this a show weener but really only local shows in the palmdesert area as that is where he resides.My dad has been the greatest one person in my life and though some times i hav been a turd when i was younger,i just want to give him the best 65 rivi that i can possibly give him.Thanks for the help in advanced.smiles/waves.The grille i think i will go black,it might not be stock from factory,but it should look nice..

Guest Buickitas
On 7/21/2016 at 8:23 AM, Seafoam65 said:

The argent silver rally wheel paint that is sold by Eastwood is a perfect match to the original grille paint  on a 65. I did

touch ups on my original grille and the match is so close as to be undetectable. The leading edge of the grille bars should be chrome, all else is painted argent silver, including the top of the grill, the part you see when you open the hood.......DSCN0101.JPG

Was that pic taken in 65??

Thanks, that is a very nice compliment!   The car is a low mileage survivor (55,000 miles) with one lacquer

repaint 41 years ago......hasn't been wet since 1967, according to the previous owner of 45 years. I did touch up the paint on

the engine , air cleaner and fender wells due to some flaking issues, but was very careful to duplicate the original finishes

on the parts that I touched up. The car has never been apart, engine , trans and rear end has never been opened up except for a new timing chain and gears to get rid of the aluminum upper gear with the plastic teeth from the factory. Interior is totally original.

DSCN0015.JPG

DSC03639.JPG

DSCN0017.JPG

DSCN0100.JPG

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Guest onedesertdog

I hand painted mine, as well as the rockers and clams. 

Pacifico, and a couple shots of Patron along the way made it less tedious........lol

• 1 month later...
Guest Buickitas

Really trying to figure how to post here,also i ordered a new fan clutch for the 65 riv,can someone enlighten me as how to remove the old one.I Would really apreciate the help Thanks in advance:)

Here's what I see.  Someone has updated the original single reservoir master cylinder to a dual reservoir master cylinder - that's good!.  The single four barrel engine would have had painted steel valve covers.  Other than hooking up some hoses, it looks nice.  It's hard to tell by the picture but you should make sure that the positive post on your battery is next to the radiator.  If the positive post is next to the fender, there's always the chance that the post could short out against the hood or the fender.  BIG electrical problems (been there done that :()

Guest Buickitas

I did a disc brake conversion for safety reasons,thatvwhy you see the dual master cylinder.Valvecovers i got from t/a in scotts dale,i just likevthe way they look.Yes i just noticed the battery,i am fixing now..Thankyou so much.Kevin

You get only the top, you furnish your own base.  I took a 14" base from a really inexpensive chrome breather and used it.  Just make sure the base and the top are the same diameter.  Most bases are for a Q-jet but there's a 1/2" tall adapter you'll need to make it fit the smaller neck diameter of a Carter AFB.  

Ed

45 minutes ago, fatbuick said:

I've got to do my grille too. Is it easy to remove without scratching the car?

Grill removal is easy if the studs on the bottom of the grill come off with the nut.  It's a Bee Otch if they stay in the grill.  No way to tell until you try.

Ed

Guest Buickitas

The 65 riv i am doing for my pops yesterday i pulled dr and pass seats,driver pwr i acould not believe what a chore to get  A bolt out with a ground terminal sticks straight up so u cannot get a socket or a wrench on it..Has anyone had this problem??

1472838510770139994942.jpg