63 Riviera power antenna

Guest Grapeman

Guest Grapeman

I would like to change/modify my stock equipped power antenna to one that will retract all the way in.  I would like to retain stock dash switch.  Any suggestions?  Thank you.

Perhaps others can chime in, but the way the antenna mounts on the side of the fender rather than the top

of the fender, it would seem to me that mounting some other kind of aftermarket antenna would be very difficult. Also, keep

in mind that there isn't much space between the inner fender and the mounting hole on the fender, so getting an antenna to go

down flush with the fender would probably not be possible due to the necessary clearance down below. Perhaps it can be done......I look forward to the input of others.      

Guest Dale Vancouver

Hi all. I fitted a fully retractable Hirschman antenna to my '64 some time ago. There is plenty of room, and I utilized the stock fender bezel. It is, however, automatic, extending and retracting via radio "On/Off ",      Cheers,   Dale.

22 hours ago, Dale Vancouver said:

Hi all. I fitted a fully retractable Hirschman antenna to my '64 some time ago. There is plenty of room, and I utilized the stock fender bezel. It is, however, automatic, extending and retracting via radio "On/Off ",      Cheers,   Dale.

Could you give us a part number and perhaps post a picture?

Thanks, Ed

Guest Dale Vancouver
3 hours ago, RivNut said:

Hi Ed. Replied a while ago, but somehow managed to delete it.  The antenna I used was a Hirschmann   " Hit Auta 2040", which may now be replaced by  "Hit Auta 2050" . I've fitted these to other cars,  they have been quite reliable, and are regularly posted on Ebay.  A couple of (non-visible) mods need to be done, and I'll be happy to share with anyone interested.    Cheers,   Dale.

PICT0253.JPG

PICT0254.JPG

It's not that I don't like the original antennas but they play heck on car covers. :)

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who might be interested in what mods are necessary to mount this antenna.  I think it looks good; especially since you used the OE bezel.

Ed

19 minutes ago, RivNut said:

It's not that I don't like the original antennas but they play heck on car covers. :)

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who might be interested in what mods are necessary to mount this antenna.  I think it looks good; especially since you used the OE bezel.

Ed

Dale,

I second that. Thanks.

Bill

Guest Dale Vancouver

Ed and Bill, thanks for the kind comments. The two main  points to fit it are to shorten the bezel  (underneath) so the antenna will fit through far enough for the Hirschmann nut to fit, then an insulator sleeve needs to be fitted between the nut and bezel. If you look closely at the  bezel picture you can just make it out. This is to insulate the mast from ground, as the bezel is directly grounded to the fender. I'm fortunate enough to have a lathe, and turned a sleeve out of some bar stock nylon .         One other point - I initially tried securing the bottom of the antenna as original, IE, to the closing panel. Soon gave up on that, and simply fitted a bracket to the inner fender.  Wiring diagram comes with a new antenna, and is fairly straight forward.   Hope this is of some help.    Cheers,   Dale.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd stick with the known quantity tof which Dale makes reference in post #5.  OPGI  is notorious for making statements that the universal products that the sell are "factory fit."  Take a look at the package tray they sell for 1st generation Rivieras. If you're really familiar with these cars, you can look at their catalog and really pick it apart as to what they say fits what.  When I get one of their catalogs in the mail, it never makes it to the house.  It goes directly to the recycle bin.

Guest Dale Vancouver

Hi Rich. The mods are really quite straight forward,  and not too time consuming. The bracket is a common universal multi holed strip bent to shape, usually supplied with replacement antennas. Shortening the OE bezel is simply judicial application of a friendly hacksaw !!   Insulating the mast requires a little care, but shouldn't  prove insurmountable.  Hope this helps.  Cheers,   Dale.

I repair power antenna.......the 63-65 stock antenna sticks out about 8 inches when all the way down, don't know why GM made them that was unless it was clearance inside the fender.   The Delco Slimline, introduced in 1980 could be modified to give a flush mount and they are plentiful in salvage yards.  I reworked a Slimline for a 56 Cadillac because replacement parts for the original antenna could not be found. 

As BCA tech advisor for Reattas, I get Reatta questions covering many subjects...some owners do not have the space, tools or ability to do their own repairs so in the case of Reatta antenna, & headlight motors I started doing repairs for those owners.

Many Reatta owners also own other Buicks and they started asking if I could repair other Buick antenna.  I started knowing nothing about antenna before 1980, but have repaired many Riviera, Electra, Eldorado, Olds and Pontiac antenna since I first got started.   Most recently a GN vendor discovered that I could repair those antenna and this is turning into more of a job than a pastime.

The biggest problem with pre 1980 GM antenna is finding replace mast if yours is bad.  GM purchased the antenna from Tenna in Cleveland and it appears every GM division wanted a different length mast and the early Riviera mast is one of the most difficult to find. 

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 6:05 PM, Barney Eaton said:

The Delco Slimline, introduced in 1980 could be modified to give a flush mount and they are plentiful in salvage yards.

Barney, what modifications need to be done to the Slimline to fit an early Riviera? I want to change mine, but turning a nylon bushing on a lathe as Dale suggests may not be my best option.

• 4 weeks later...

Did you get the spring clip that holds the antenna to the fender?  There's also a black nylon(?) piece that goes into the bezel you have that steadies the antenna inside the bezel.    I don't think you need to be worried about a ground.  The case bolted to the inner fender panel is what supplies ground to the circuit.  

There's no sleeve (it's not designed to work with the stock bezel but in its own hood connector, which I am not using obviously) so I will probably add some electrical tape inside the bezel to keep it snug.

Everything needed looks to be in the kit. You attach it to the fender with a bendable metal bar that screws in.

I will let you know if I have any troubles with the install but it looks pretty simple.

Here is a picture of the modification I made to allow a Delco Slimline (1980- ?) to fit a 1956 Cadillac.

By making an adaptor that works like the early Riviera top, mount that on the slimline and the only thing remaining is dealing with the wiring. 

The part was not finished, just cut to the shape needed,  legs/straps were added to the bottom so attachment screws could be installed.

56 cad mod.jpg

56 cad mod.jpg

Well, now I do have an issue (shock!)

The stock antenna is wired with an up wire and and a down wire. This lets you use the dash switch to raise and lower it. It stops wherever you want, etc.

The replacement antenna is an auto-down wiring. There's no up and down, just a single wire to activate and a red wire for power all the time. If you wire it to the radio, when you turn the radio off it goes down.

So either I have to wire it to the radio (but crap I like the switch, it's cool) or open the antenna device and rewire it somehow?

Or go back to stock.

Any help?

UPDATE: Here's a pic of the wiring inside the new antenna

2016-09-13 19.48.41.jpg

Edited by bodayguy (see edit history)

• 7 years later...
On 9/13/2016 at 9:20 PM, bodayguy said:

Well, now I do have an issue (shock!)

The stock antenna is wired with an up wire and and a down wire. This lets you use the dash switch to raise and lower it. It stops wherever you want, etc.

The replacement antenna is an auto-down wiring. There's no up and down, just a single wire to activate and a red wire for power all the time. If you wire it to the radio, when you turn the radio off it goes down.

So either I have to wire it to the radio (but crap I like the switch, it's cool) or open the antenna device and rewire it somehow?

Or go back to stock.

Any help?

UPDATE: Here's a pic of the wiring inside the new antenna

2016-09-13 19.48.41.jpg

Ok I know I an super late to this party and I hope you figured this out long ago. BUT! If you did not and you still stare at that Up/Down switch wanting to make it work like OEM, all you need is a diode.

Made post here.