Value of 1936 Studebaker Dictator

Stude Light

My neighbor makes his living customizing Jeeps and recently acquired an original 1936 Dictator as payment for labor on a project he took on.  In an attempt to convince him not to do a resto-mod on this car, I wanted to try to get a value on it and perhaps he would sell it as is. 42,000 original miles, runs great, shifts nice, stops well.  Undercarriage is super clean.  There are a few rust bubbles (see bottom side of trunk), some of the windshield chrome has bubbles and rusting, some of the glass has edge delamination (fogging) right rear fender has a slight crease.  The interior has that fine musty car smell and you can see some discoloration of the upholstery, particularly in the rear seat.  A bit of headliner sag. All the door and trunk seals are shot. Everything seems to work except the clock.  Nothing out of the ordinary for a survivor car.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Scott

20160705_173829.jpg20160705_173846.jpg

Edited by Stude Light (see edit history)

Paint looks like it might be original. It looks like it's been resprayed so that knocks it down a bit as a survivor.  Door panels look incorrect to me.  The rest of the interior looks original. 

My gut instinct knowing nothing about this marque would be 10-12 G if it's runs and drives in good order.  I know they made an 8 that year which would be a tad more valuable.  You are right though that is shouldn't be rodded. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

I can't give a market value in these unstable economic conditions, but if he wants to modernize it for himself...maybe that could make sense.

but modding it for resale would take way too many man hours to gain very little money.

my gut says 6-7K in my local area, as it sits

A totally redone one sold for $28000 at the overpriced BJ auction out east recently.  With the original look of this one and the interior being in reasonable shape I would think the 11-12K would be reasonable.  The headliner is a real pain in these cars so depending on how bad that is could hurt a little.  It would be a shame to rod it as they say " it is only original once ".

Thank you for the replies. Based on the estimated value, I think he did well on the labor for the swap. I think he would be further ahead selling as is rather than putting a bunch of time and cost into it to try to turn a higher profit.

Hopefully I can get him to list it in the forum.

Scott

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mercer09 said:

wont see a dime over 5k............................................

When this thread first popped up I was going to say 6-8k assuming it runs well and is not a rot bucket.   I would not compare it to a car somebody put 75k into and sold for 28k at BJ.

195742_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

Entry level of pretty much any 30's car even a 4 door anything seems to be at minimum 5000 if it runs and wont give you tetanus.  8-10 buys you a respectable car that you wouldn't be embarrassed to have the wife ride in.  Beyond that there is alot of variations up to 15-20.  Then make starts to factor in as does everything else.  If I handed you 5,000  tell me where you would find a good looking 30's sedan in the same shape?  I search alot of Craigslists and every other trader I waste my time on and I can tell you especially here in the Northeast,  you will be searching a long time.  Look at the Graham I posted about.  I wish it were as nice as the Studebaker.  I did notice damage to the left fender afterwards so I would have to shave it back a grand or so as it either needs to be fixed or the person buying it needs compensation to fix it.  The chrome and all the little do dads look to be in great shape which is what will make it easier to sell.  Nobody wants to dump a bunch of money into chrome on a 4 door like this and no matter how nice you make the interior or paint, bad chrome will drag it down. 

If I could buy it for $6,000 to $7,000 I would be happy with that. If it was mine, I wouldn't sell it for less than 10K in it's present condition.